Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    You could easily test it by probing the can pins on the 30-0334 and connecting that to the prolink.
    Well, according to a back and forth email exchange i had with AEM tech support, the X series gauges all constantly output both analog and CAN buss outputs, and would have no issue connecting to both analog and CAN buss outputs, to the ProLink cable inputs. My concern was only that, I thought the ProLink cable still had some issue with functionality, and wouldnt read a CAN buss input from the AEM controller.

Advanced Tuner
    The 30-0300 and 30-0334 use different CAN data formats.

The ProLink CAN interface reads the 30-0300 AEMNet protocol. The OBDII port uses the 30-0334 CAN protocol.

You can hook up the analog signals to the ProLink and get a good signal.

If you want, the 30-0334 can be flashed back to the 30-0300 firmware. Which is the opposite of what is usually done.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    The 30-0300 and 30-0334 use different CAN data formats.

The ProLink CAN interface reads the 30-0300 AEMNet protocol. The OBDII port uses the 30-0334 CAN protocol.

You can hook up the analog signals to the ProLink and get a good signal.

If you want, the 30-0334 can be flashed back to the 30-0300 firmware. Which is the opposite of what is usually done.
    Bummer, did not know that. Otherwise i would have purchased the 30-300, learning curve i guess..... Now i gotta decide if i want to deal with it, or change it, didnt realize there were 2 different CAN protocols for that.

Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    Because Im new to this and didn't know any better. I already made the purchase and didnt realize there were other models, that supported CAN buss logging. I'm probably just going to use serial for logging anyway, but i wanted an interface that could use any type of logging, at any given time, depending on what i was doing. Just wanted connection options for logging.
    Since you have the 0334 just connect the two CAN wires to the OBDII port, and use standard HPT features, no need for the pro-link and anything extra to be hooked up. I have two!

Why would you do all this when it's more work, more complicated, more hassle?: "was considering wiring both the CAN and Analog outputs from the 30-0334 to the ProLink, and doing away with the OBD2 adapter that comes with it."
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Since you have the 0334 just connect the two CAN wires to the OBDII port, and use standard HPT features, no need for the pro-link and anything extra to be hooked up. I have two!

Why would you do all this when it's more work, more complicated, more hassle?: "was considering wiring both the CAN and Analog outputs from the 30-0334 to the ProLink, and doing away with the OBD2 adapter that comes with it."
    Well, because I wasnt planning on doing a permanent install, rather a portable one. Having the CAN and Analog channels in 1 cable to the ProLink, makes for an easier and cleaner use of cables. My thinking was to just select what input I was using in the VCM scanner, and to cut down on harnesses and connectors for portability. But now Im just thinking of using it primarily with serial,and just using the OBD2 plug for CAN logging if needed. This is all new to me and Im learning all of this, maybe the hard way, so I'm not sure what is the best use of the wideband via CAN, Serial or Analog. I like the idea of not having to mess with voltage offsets. CAN buss seems to be the best way for numerous reasons, but idk how well it works vs just using serial.
    Last edited by danmw2003; 02-18-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    As far as ideal signals, with thw WB it goes like this. ( Best to worst )

1. 30-0300/0310 AEMNet CANBus signal via the ProLink. Fastest, most accuracy and range up to lambda 6.554. No ground offset issues or scaling math
    2. 30-0334/Re-flashed units OBDII CANBus via OBDII port . Still fast, Range up to lambda 2.000. No ground offset issues or scaling math
    3. All X-series WB Analog 0-5v. Actually even faster than CAN, if they ever further increase the polling rates. Range up to lambda 1.22 . Still no ground offset issues. But requires math setup.
    4. Serial X-series re-flashed. These WBs have an extra digit of resolution ( xx.xx ) and an upgraded polling rate ( 20ms, IIRC ).
    5. Serial X-series Stock. Only 3-digit resolution ( xx.x ) and slow 100ms polling rate.

Advanced Tuner
    As far as ideal signals, with thw WB it goes like this. ( Best to worst )

1. 30-0300/0310 AEMNet CANBus signal via the ProLink. Fastest, most accuracy and range up to lambda 6.554. No ground offset issues or scaling math
    2. 30-0334/Re-flashed units OBDII CANBus via OBDII port . Still fast, Range up to lambda 2.000. No ground offset issues or scaling math
    3. All X-series WB Analog 0-5v. Actually even faster than CAN, if they ever further increase the polling rates. Range up to lambda 1.22 . Still no ground offset issues. But requires math setup.
    4. Serial X-series re-flashed. These WBs have an extra digit of resolution ( xx.xx ) and an upgraded polling rate ( 20ms, IIRC ).
    5. Serial X-series Stock. Only 3-digit resolution ( xx.x ) and slow 100ms polling rate.
    Sounds like I'm going to want mine reflashed. You still doing this?

Advanced Tuner
    Half tempted to just buy another wideband, and use the 30-0334 as a permanent install into my Camaro.

Advanced Tuner
    Hi dr mike and my other old hpt friends!!!

My son just bought a C6 ZR1 so I'm going to clean up the tuning in it. I told him he'll need a wideband, so I go online to look at what's available since it's been years since I needed to buy one. I look on the AEM website and see the 30-0334 with it's cool pass-through OBD2 connector and full digital interface. NICE!!! That was all you dr.mike, with a tiny little bit of help from me maybe. It's pretty cool to see that product for sale on Summit, Amazon, etc, etc, knowing this forum helped develop it.

Needless to say, I ordered one for tuning my son's LS9. Thanks again for all your efforts dr.mike. It looks like you're still active on here helping others too, good for you!

John
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like I'm going to want mine reflashed. You still doing this?
    Yes. But, this would be the 1st 30-0334 being flashed back to be a 30-0300. On the other hand, I have a bunch of spare connector pins. So, I can throw a few in with the gauge, to make connecting up the new functions easier

Hey John !

I think you may have been the 1st Guinea pig for , what, eventually, became, the 30-0334 Yes, the AEM guys decided to pick it up as an option. I'm not sure people, here, actually, know that it started out as a forum project.

Maybe you will be in on the next one

-mike

The 0334 user manual sez it can be set for either 11- or 29-bit and either 250 or 500kb, has that been changed in recent models?

Potential Tuner
    Hi all.

I have just finished up a re-flash mod for the new AEM 30-0300 "X-Series" gauges. It swaps out the AEM CAN data format for an OBDII/PID interface that works directly with VCMScanner 3.0.

Basic features.

1. The Lambda data shows up just as if the car was equipped with it from the factory, as PID 0x24 through PID 0x2B.
    2. It has been tested with the new 3.0 release of VCMScanner at the full 100Hz ( 10ms ) polling rate.
    3. VCMScanner supports its free-air calibration controls.
    4. No voltage offset and scaling issues. No analog noise.
    5. The gauge is actually designed to produce data at 500Hz. So at the max 100Hz rate, you are getting real data.

I am looking for a couple of beta testers. If you send me your 30-0300 ( just the gauge), I will flash the mod'ed firmware onto it and send it back.

It does need to be wired into the existing OBDII port wiring. But, that's not so bad For non-CANBus cars, you will need to use an OBDII splitter cable ; since the OBDII CANBus pins will not be present in the vehicle's connector shell.

PM me, if interested in trying it out.

hey dr.mike i actually asked you about the 2003 silverado in another post about 10 minutes ago... is this an option still lol 4 years later haha

Advanced Tuner
    For the 2003 Silverado ( I use a 2002 2500HD as a development mule ) I would go, in this order.

1. HPTuners pro + ProLink w/ 30-0300 via CAN
    2. Re-flashed 30-0300 via serial
    3. 30-0300 analog output via A/C pressure.

Some day, I will build a CAN-to-J1850 bridge and OBDII data will be available on all vehicles.

For the 2003 Silverado ( I use a 2002 2500HD as a development mule ) I would go, in this order.

1. HPTuners pro + ProLink w/ 30-0300 via CAN
    2. Re-flashed 30-0300 via serial
    3. 30-0300 analog output via A/C pressure.

Some day, I will build a CAN-to-J1850 bridge and OBDII data will be available on all vehicles.
    I would buy that.

Potential Tuner
    Hello, I'm new to the custom tuning game and I'm looking to add dual widebands to my ctsv sport, without the guages, I really like the packaging of the aem 30-334x, but don't have anywhere to put the meters. So I am leaning towards the 30-310, wired into the obd2. I want to use either an interceptor or nGuage so I can get vital readings like oil temp, iat, boost and ethanol%, but have wide band available for tuning. The tuner i am going with recommends the aem334, since it datalogs in hpt easily.

Will flashing the 30-310 make it work the same as the 30-334, without the meter? Or do I have to have at least one meter, since I guess that's the only way to get the obd plug.

Advanced Tuner
    The 30-0310s can be programmed with the same OBDII patch as the 30-0300. I have done several of these. The caveat is that there is no user interface on the 30-0310. So, there is no way to change the settings. Mostly, this effects installations with more than one 30-0310, where, I need to pre-program the units as bank 1 , bank 2, etc.

As for connecting to the OBD2 port, most people solder the CAN wires from the 30-0310 to the back side of the connector. There are lots of generic OBD2 pass-thru and splitter cables available that can be used for a less permanent installation.

Speaking of hardwiring, what's the deal with terminating resistors? Is there one in the AEM's piggyback connector that goes away when you snip it off? The actual location of the resistor on my truck is a mystery - manual doesn't give the location and it's not in the exposed part of the wiring to the OBD port so I assume it's buried somewhere up inside the dash harness.

Advanced Tuner
    The gauges do not have terminating resistors. Those are somewhere in the vehicle wiring. It is, probably, integrated into 2 of the computers that are on the CAN bus. There are supposed to be 2 120ohm terminators, at the extreme ends of the CAN bus wiring. Both must be present for the CAN bus to work, reliably. So, they are both in the vehicle.

One in the ECM, one at some unspecified non-obvious location somewhere between TCM & DLC. I figured based on function that it would be as close to the DLC as feasible, but it's not.

screenshot.09-01-2021 03.57.37.png

So there's no components in the -0334's connector I need to be concerned with? Meaning I also don't have to be concerned about the location of the vehicle's existing DLC-end terminating resistor - as long as I do a proper splice* near the back of the DLC it'll be okay?

*Scotch-locks, right? (kidding! )

Senior Tuner
    im using 2 aem x series obd2 and if u want to configure them to work on the ngauge and hpt logging thru canbus u will need the adjustability within the gauge, it took a while to find the right address and pid numbers that both hpt and ngauge would read at the same time, i just mounted the gauges in the glove box out of sight but so i can still check on them or make changes if i have to easily,