Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

Advanced Tuner

AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

Hi all.

I have just finished up a re-flash mod for the new AEM 30-0300 "X-Series" gauges. It swaps out the AEM CAN data format for an OBDII/PID interface that works directly with VCMScanner 3.0.

Basic features.

1. The Lambda data shows up just as if the car was equipped with it from the factory, as PID 0x24 through PID 0x2B.
    2. It has been tested with the new 3.0 release of VCMScanner at the full 100Hz ( 10ms ) polling rate.
    3. VCMScanner supports its free-air calibration controls.
    4. No voltage offset and scaling issues. No analog noise.
    5. The gauge is actually designed to produce data at 500Hz. So at the max 100Hz rate, you are getting real data.

I am looking for a couple of beta testers. If you send me your 30-0300 ( just the gauge), I will flash the mod'ed firmware onto it and send it back.

It does need to be wired into the existing OBDII port wiring. But, that's not so bad For non-CANBus cars, you will need to use an OBDII splitter cable ; since the OBDII CANBus pins will not be present in the vehicle's connector shell.

PM me, if interested in trying it out.

This is a feature we worked on recently and I think it users will really like it.

It's another great solution for accurate wideband data. No more voltage offsets!
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

This sounds pretty interesting

Advanced Tuner
    Ok so here's my question... If I can't get my PLX wideband to work through serial in 3.0, and I'm willing to buy a new wideband and gauge, is this AEM unit going to be the best bet for serial setup in 3.0 so far?

I'm redoing my whole onboard PC and I'm not going back to analog input for my wideband no matter what! If I pull the PLX out to replace it with something else, at least I can send Keith my working PLX 4.9 gauge, controller and sensor for him to test and get working in 3.0. Dr.Mike, is getting a new AEM 30-0300 unit yourself and modifying it so I can then buy it directly from you modified something you'd consider? Just a thought since I haven't bought anything yet. I'm in Cali, where are you located?

edit- Ok I'm up for buying a pair of AEM 30-0300 sensors and gauges if it looks like I can get them to work through serial in 3.0. Dr.Mike, do they not work right out of the box through the CAN network? My HPT hardware is already hardwired in so I have no problem hardwiring into either the CAN network or the serial input to the HPT hardware. I have my own hardwired HD15 connector already in my car with the CAN and low speed LAN networks going into the HPT box, is it possible to just input the signal directly into the HPT hardware that way? I'm open to do whatever I need for a pure digital wideband input from both banks! lol. Let me know what I need to do and I'll do it guys.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 02-12-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    This is a feature we worked on recently and I think it users will really like it.

It's another great solution for accurate wideband data. No more voltage offsets!
    And yes Keith, users will ABSOLUTELY like it! I was thrilled to see the difference in wideband data accuracy and speed from just going from the Bosch 4.2 to the 4.9 sensors. Having a couple of widebands that will read digitally at 100Hz would be awesome!!! And I'm trying to get you a PLX unit to test with in the process. If I buy a couple AEM units I'll pull and send you my PLX with the serial/USB cable.

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Ok so here's my question... If I can't get my PLX wideband to work through serial in 3.0, and I'm willing to buy a new wideband and gauge
    The PLX unit WILL work eventually, HPT really needs someone to send in a PLX unit so they can test it in house / in person to get it up and going. I can only imagine how tough it is to debug serial protocols without even having the wideband in front of you.

I have the an old PLX 4.2 controller if someone else has a spare/old sensor they can send in..
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Ok since I have kind of an instant gratification problem, I ordered two of the AEM widebands already! That's good news for you PLX guys because that means I can send my PLX 4.9 complete working unit to Keith. I'll try to get it pulled out this weekend and boxed up. So now I need any info you guys have that can help me get the AEM units working through serial. lol.

Awesome! I'll PM you the address to send it to, thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    The AEM 30-0300 gauges need to be re-flashed ( firmware update ) to work directly in HPTuners 3.0 via the CAN interface. I am doing the re-flashing for people for free, currently.
    Once it has been re-flashed, it does not need to use the serial interface. It actually appears as part of the normal ECU data set ( PID 24..2B ).

The CAN connection supports the full 100Hz sampling rate. There is also a serial output. But, it is limited to 10Hz. Which is kinda a waste for a wideband with a <20ms response time

From the HPTuners VCM Info screen it looks like this:

SAE J1979 Info: CAN, 500 kb/s, Standard 11 bit, 500 kb/s, None: 7EF

None: 7EF, CAN
    Calibration IDs: AEM-30-0300-01
    Basic PIDs: 2
    Scanning Methods: ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Functional, ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Physical

scanner.jpg

Selecting WB EQ Ratio 1 (SAE ) [Mixture ratio] adds the lambda channel. You can have up to 8, in theory.

It does require that you connect the gauge's CANH and CANL wires to the matching wires on the car's OBDII bus.
    For those that don't want to splice into the stock installation, I found some cheap pass-thru connectors that make this pretty easy. http://www.med-obd.com/cable-j1962mf...7310023217c954

I am really not set up to do retail sales. But, anyone who wants to send me their gauge, with a round trip ticket, will get their gauge re-flashed for free, while we are testing.

If someone wanted to set up a group buy, from AEM, they would probably sell you pre-flashed units. I do not know who to ask about such a thing. But, if there is enough interest, I can try to find the right contact.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Awesome! I'll PM you the address to send it to, thanks!
    No problem, it's the least I can do to contribute to the cause!

Again, I am BLOWN AWAY by the support that has been shown from the HPT guys and the members on here. The amount of guys that have jumped in to help others on this 3.0 update just shows what an amazing resource this forum is. I'm proud to be a part of it. I remember years ago seeing a huge difference in the forum traffic between the two tuning programs but I had no idea that one of the two would end up eclipsing the other in terms of forum support. Having such a huge difference in support from both the company and it's customers makes the choice between the two programs a no-brainer in my opinion. And that's coming from someone that started out using the "other" tuning software. I "converted" over to HPT about 7 years ago and never looked back, and a big part of that decision was the forum. Good job HPT! And good job HPT forum members for putting in the effort to help others!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    The AEM 30-0300 gauges need to be re-flashed ( firmware update ) to work directly in HPTuners 3.0 via the CAN interface. I am doing the re-flashing for people for free, currently.
    Once it has been re-flashed, it does not need to use the serial interface. It actually appears as part of the normal ECU data set ( PID 24..2B ).

The CAN connection supports the full 100Hz sampling rate. There is also a serial output. But, it is limited to 10Hz. Which is kinda a waste for a wideband with a <20ms response time

From the HPTuners VCM Info screen it looks like this:

SAE J1979 Info: CAN, 500 kb/s, Standard 11 bit, 500 kb/s, None: 7EF

None: 7EF, CAN
    Calibration IDs: AEM-30-0300-01
    Basic PIDs: 2
    Scanning Methods: ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Functional, ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Physical

scanner.jpg

Selecting WB EQ Ratio 1 (SAE ) [Mixture ratio] adds the lambda channel. You can have up to 8, in theory.

It does require that you connect the gauge's CANH and CANL wires to the matching wires on the car's OBDII bus.
    For those that don't want to splice into the stock installation, I found some cheap pass-thru connectors that make this pretty easy. http://www.med-obd.com/cable-j1962mf...7310023217c954

I am really not set up to do retail sales. But, anyone who wants to send me their gauge, with a round trip ticket, will get their gauge re-flashed for free, while we are testing.

If someone wanted to set up a group buy, from AEM, they would probably sell you pre-flashed units. I do not know who to ask about such a thing. But, if there is enough interest, I can try to find the right contact.
    Just PM'd you. I'll be sending you the two I just ordered as soon as I get them. Thanks for doing this, that's awesome! And splicing into the CAN circuit isn't a problem for me at least, I don't think there's a single foot of wire in my car that hasn't been removed, re-routed or connected to completely different hardware! (It's a Saturn Sky Redline that's basically been transformed into a 700whp CTS-V. lol.)

Hell I want one now!

I haven't installed mine yet, but this will be great for mobile tuners.

Create an OBD Y splitter, plug in the wide band, and MPVI.. install the O2.. tune away without any offset issues.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Yup! This is really cool. I hope other manufacturers follow suit

Is there enough power over an OBD port to run a wideband or will it still need a power connection somewhere else? (obviously could just use some battery clamps or something to make it easy to install/remove for mobile tuners.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Unfortunately, the power on the OBDII port never shuts off. So, the gauge would drain the battery. I guess, you could use a relay. But, you would still need to pull the relay coil signal from somewhere.

Potential Tuner
    I recently purchased the AEM 30-4900, I haven't received it, so no info yet. Will your firmware upgrade work with this series of unit? If not, I'll return it and get something more user friendly. It's the AEM Failsafe model, just wanted 0-5v outputs in case I needed them.

Thanks to everyone,

With everyone's help I've got my scanner setup in 3.0 for my wife's LNF. Unfortunately, it's still down for winter surgery. Need to get everything ready for when the weather breaks though.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Unfortunately, the power on the OBDII port never shuts off. So, the gauge would drain the battery. I guess, you could use a relay. But, you would still need to pull the relay coil signal from somewhere.
    Ah, forgot about that little detail. But for mobile tuners it wouldn't matter.. if you could pull power from there you could just make one plug to connect power/data for the wideband. Though you could also just use a cigarette plug adapter and then not have to worry about it, so that's probably the more sensible solution

Advanced Tuner
    The firmware update currently only works with the 30-0300 gauge. I am working on a patch for the 30-0310 inline UEGO.

Tuner in Training
    This works perfect. HPT scanner tracks identical to the AEM display, almost too easy to set-up. Simple as clicking "WB EQ RATIO 1 (SAE)" in the channel selector.

Thank you Dr. Mike for the excellent contribution in firmware and equally impressive fast turn around.

I still really hope other manufacturers adopt something like this.. this is too cool!

Does AEM make a standalone controller that will do this? I don't need or want the gauge itself as I use something else for displaying WB 02 readings