Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I still really hope other manufacturers adopt something like this.. this is too cool!

Does AEM make a standalone controller that will do this? I don't need or want the gauge itself as I use something else for displaying WB 02 readings
    I believe the 30-0310 is what you'll want: http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...afr-controller

after dr.mike updates the firmware for that as well.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

That looks like a winner.. I might pick one up if Dr. Mike does the firmware upgrade on it
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

This looks very promising, anyone know how this compares in accuracy to the NGK AFX with the NTK sensor (got it converted to the ECM Lambda 1500)

Advanced Tuner
    In the real world, the Bosch sensors are more accurate than the NTK sensors. This is because

1. The NTK sensors are VERY sensitive to exhaust back-pressure. i.e. they give very different readings, even with a 1psi change in exhaust pressure.

and

2. The NTK sensors respond MUCH slower than the Bosch sensors. And, in actual use, most error comes from latency. i.e. if we were tuning stationary engines that run at constant speed/load, NTK would be great.

Meanwhile, I picked up a few of these pass-thru OBDII cables for anyone who wants to try the beta. But, is not so sure about wiring into the stock harness.
    pass-thru.jpg

I haven't "buzzed the out", yet, to identify the right wires to connect up to the gauge.

But, I''l get to that

Any chance of a firmware upgrade for the 30-0310 version? I love the OBD connectors.. that looks like a great setup for mobile tuners especially

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. I will be doing the 30-0310 next. I just have to figure out how to do the configuration, without the gauge's user interface.
    The rest of the code should copy right over.

dr.mike, if you have more code space, we can do more complex controls from VCM Scanner if needed.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

That sounds like a wonderful idea

I will have to buy one of these.
    Dr. Mike, have you plans of selling modified units? It may be much easier if you buy them new, flash the firmware then sell them. It would save shipping and you may be able to make a few well deserved bucks for your work if you charge a modification fee.
    I'd be most than glad to buy one from you.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    I got my pair of 30-0300 widebands, I'll be PM'ing you in a minute dr.mike. I also still need to pull the sensor out of my car so I can send my PLX gauge, controller and sensor to Keith so he can get you PLX guys up and running through serial inputs. I've been a little busy (lol), but I'll TRY to pull the PLX sensor out today and get it boxed up and shipped out. I'll also box up the new AEM 30-0300's and send them off to dr.mike to do his magic on.

Not to derail but this is HPTuners related... This is one of the things I've been busy on, installing a 12.3" Surface Pro 4 in my Sky. Also relocating the BCM, 8 relays and a few miles of wire to a new location behind the console and into a new fuse panel I'm building today. Lots of fun!!!

Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

I nearly had a panic attack just seeing that much wiring being all over the place, lol

Since we're halfway off topic already I'll ask... how do you like that soldering station? I'm getting ready to buy a new one and that one is at the top of my list

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I nearly had a panic attack just seeing that much wiring being all over the place, lol

Since we're halfway off topic already I'll ask... how do you like that soldering station? I'm getting ready to buy a new one and that one is at the top of my list
    It's awesome! I have 2 of those and one of the older style with the dial instead of digital control. The dial style is easier to change temps on but easy to bump the dial when banging it around in a car or wherever. I use them ALL the time at home and at work. I even use them on airbag wiring where they say you can only use butane on since there's a chance of setting off the bags with any ESD. I think the Hakko's are pretty safe in that respect, at least a lot better than a crappy gun or cheap soldering iron. The Hakko's are really nice, they maintain the heat extremely well even between doing tiny wiring to heavy gauge wiring. Get one!

Funny you should mention it, I'm actually picking up a Hakko 951 today as a little birthday present for myself! I'll let you know how I like it. As much soldering as I do, I deserve the best! lol. (I think I've only gone through a few hundred soldering irons in my life.)
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Ah yes, I think you've talked me into a new toy

I've got a project that has quite a bit of soldering that i'm working on.. I've been doing it all with a butane soldering iron and it's really bogging me down. Those things are so awesome for doing quick work outside with no power, but a real soldering station would really be nice for what I'm doing now

Enjoy the 591, looks like that is one of the best out there!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    In the real world, the Bosch sensors are more accurate than the NTK sensors. This is because

1. The NTK sensors are VERY sensitive to exhaust back-pressure. i.e. they give very different readings, even with a 1psi change in exhaust pressure.

and

2. The NTK sensors respond MUCH slower than the Bosch sensors. And, in actual use, most error comes from latency. i.e. if we were tuning stationary engines that run at constant speed/load, NTK would be great.

Meanwhile, I picked up a few of these pass-thru OBDII cables for anyone who wants to try the beta. But, is not so sure about wiring into the stock harness.
    pass-thru.jpg

I haven't "buzzed the out", yet, to identify the right wires to connect up to the gauge.

But, I''l get to that
    What you're saying makes perfect sense, any chance we can buy an already modified one from you?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not really in a position to stock and support these things. But, I guess, if people wanted to put together a group buy, something could be worked out.

Tuner in Training
    being can integrated i assume this wouldnt work for a 04 redline sigh

Advanced Tuner
    Actually, with VCMScanner 3.0, It SHOULD work with non-CAN vehicles. 3.0 is supposed to be able to do CAN and J1850 in parallel. This has not been tested yet ( Unless Kieth has done it ) I can say that it works with nothing but the gauge attached ( no ECU )

It would require adding an extra 60-ohm resistor in with the wiring to take the place of the ECU terminating load. But, that should not be a big deal.

yeah, if this could work with any vehicles HPT 3.0 Supports, CAN or not, that would be ideal. Let us know about the potential group buy, either going to wait on that or just go ahead and order one to send to you.

Potential Tuner
    Has anyone looked at PLX DM 100 for compatibility with these apps? What does schpenxel think, since he's got experience??

Quote Originally Posted by LS3 ACE View Post
    Has anyone looked at PLX DM 100 for compatibility with these apps? What does schpenxel think, since he's got experience??
    I haven't messed with one of those in person but I don't think it has the ability to send data over the CAN bus. Maybe it could be modified to do something like that?

My understanding is it basically can "receive" data from two sources. A. OBD port and B. serial port (wideband and other PLX modules). The AEM unit is nice because it can take wideband data and then send it over the cars CAN bus where it can easily be logged in HPTuners.

I don't think the PLX one can send data out in a way that would enable HPT to get to it over the CAN bus though.. Admittedly I don't know truly know enough about the technical specs to say whether it's possible to make it do what the AEM unit can do or not..

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock