Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

Potential Tuner
    What do you think Keith??

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Actually, with VCMScanner 3.0, It SHOULD work with non-CAN vehicles. 3.0 is supposed to be able to do CAN and J1850 in parallel. This has not been tested yet ( Unless Kieth has done it ) I can say that it works with nothing but the gauge attached ( no ECU )

It would require adding an extra 60-ohm resistor in with the wiring to take the place of the ECU terminating load. But, that should not be a big deal.
    Do we have a final answer on this? Keith?

i haven't tested, but, i don't see any reason why it won't work on a VPW vehicle with the resistor like mentioned.

This is the exact setup I plan to use on our V6 Firebird 3.8 lemons car.. It's a VPW vehicle, and I plan to install this gauge in it.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    i haven't tested, but, i don't see any reason why it won't work on a VPW vehicle with the resistor like mentioned.

This is the exact setup I plan to use on our V6 Firebird 3.8 lemons car.. It's a VPW vehicle, and I plan to install this gauge in it.
    awesome, thank you for clarifying. ..Time to order up a new wideband

Advanced Tuner
    This looks like a really awesome idea. Once you figure out the 30-0310 I'll definitely be in for one since I don't really need a gauge otherwise with the dashlogic in my car.

Advanced Tuner
    Lazy copy/paste from a post I made in another forum about this...

I've got dual AEM 30-0300's in my LSA Sky now, I'll finally be getting it out of my shop tomorrow or Monday. I sent my gauges to dr.mike to have them reflashed so I am also reading them off the CAN line like the OP described. So far they look friggin fast and accurate in the couple of logs I've done just running it in my shop. I will definitely post screen shots from logs up on HPTuners when I get some good comparisons logged. I had a single PLX Bosch LSU 4.9 in there before.

And yeah, with the new HPT software the ONLY way to log widebands is going to be digital instead of the stupid/archaic way of using a analog 0-5v signal. (In my opinion of course.) BTW the new 3.0 software is AWESOME! Especially on a touch screen. I had a 10" Windows PC and touch screen in my Sky before, I'll now be able to log and tune it with an in-dash 12.5" Surface Pro 4 that I just put in it! I can't wait to get it back on the road. When I do, I promise I'll have some good feedback on this CAN bus wideband stuff.

How is it being direct wired though?
    The AEM gauge has CAN high and low outputs. You need to connect them into the CAN bus in your car. That can either be done by using an OBD2 splitter so that you can still plug in your MPVI, or you can wire the high and low signals directly into your car. I did the latter, I have one of my MPVI's hardwired into my car also. You simply have to tie the AEM gauge wires in parallel, not in series into the CAN lines. Then you simply choose the AEM input as an OBD Controller like it shows in the screenshot above. I have two of them so two OBD Controllers with different addresses comes up in the HPT software. I already have both of them running and logging great in HPT 3.0. Like I said, I can't wait to get some good logs showing the differences in these two new AEM units through digital vs. my old PLX 4.9 and 4.2 sensor logs.

Long story short, setting up the new AEM 30-0300 widebands in the new HPT software is STUPID EASY!
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Awesome! This sounds like the future to me.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok. I have an initial version of the AEM 30-0310 "inline" wideband re-flash for direct OBDII interfacing up and running.

Everything is the same as for the 30-0300 gauges, except the setup for changing configurations. Which is a bit more difficult with just the one button and 2 LEDs as a user interface You SHOULD only need to change the configuration, if you are going to run more than one unit on the same vehicle.

I will probably start offering beta re-flashes for them this coming week.

Stay tuned

Thank you sir. If you do end up offering them I'll probably get me one on order!
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Thank you sir. If you do end up offering them I'll probably get me one on order!
    Same here.

Advanced Tuner
    I am trying to decide if it is better to have people remove the seal on the 30-0310 to access the button. Or, have people make a simple serial interface, like so:

RS232.JPG

Out of parts available from RadioShack ( if they still exist ) or DIGIKEY. To provide bidirectional communication with a PC.
    The serial interface has several advantages. Code space limitations prevent me from doing both.

90% + of people , installing a single unit will never need to mess with the configuration.

But, 2 units on a single OBDII bus will require a config change.

Depends on what advantages the serial interface gives us

Now I've got to get a obd pass through connector on the way so I can make this thing totally portable if I want. Amazon prime has them for $16 delivered if anyone is interested.

Advanced Tuner
    Depends on what advantages the serial interface gives us
    At minimum. it saves you having to pop off the cover/seal to get to the button. And counting various LED flashes to make sure the settings are right.
    With the PC interface, there would just be a little app with a pull-down menu.
    There are other settings to get at, that way, also.

The down side is soldering up that little interface connector. And, maybe losing the serial data output. ( if there is no codespace to keep it )

Sounds like there's no easy choice then! If there's enough code space to keep serial logging I'd probably just do the serial interface method. If we lose serial logging going that way then I'd lean more towards using the button. The good news is for the vast majority of us it won't make any difference

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah. I think I will go with the button/LED method.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Sounds like there's no easy choice then! If there's enough code space to keep serial logging I'd probably just do the serial interface method. If we lose serial logging going that way then I'd lean more towards using the button. The good news is for the vast majority of us it won't make any difference
    What are the chances we'd actually get the Dashlogic folks to actually add the pid though? lol

Man that would be so awesome if they would do that..

I really, really wish they would...

Maybe Dr.Mike can tell us more about what they would need to log PID wise to get commanded lambda from the CAN bus?
    Last edited by schpenxel; 03-14-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    In the real world, the Bosch sensors are more accurate than the NTK sensors. This is because

1. The NTK sensors are VERY sensitive to exhaust back-pressure. i.e. they give very different readings, even with a 1psi change in exhaust pressure.

and

2. The NTK sensors respond MUCH slower than the Bosch sensors. And, in actual use, most error comes from latency. i.e. if we were tuning stationary engines that run at constant speed/load, NTK would be great.

Meanwhile, I picked up a few of these pass-thru OBDII cables for anyone who wants to try the beta. But, is not so sure about wiring into the stock harness.
    Attachment 56598

I haven't "buzzed the out", yet, to identify the right wires to connect up to the gauge.

But, I''l get to that
    Here is the Amazon link to that harness... I ordered one yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-14570.../dp/B0091QW58O

Yep, that's the one I found too. Planning on ordering one