Thread: New to tuning

Tuner in Training

New to tuning

I'm new to tuning and using hptuners. I have an 04.5 with a s366 90hp injectors and arson 3 kit. Been tuned with a smarty with tntr on lvl 5. I liked the way it handle in mid-range to high rpms. Only problem was the spool off the line from a idle, but after about 1800 rpms it ran great. I started by adjusting injection pw starting around 1400 rpm and smoothed the tables out. Let me know how I'm doing and what other things i could adjust to help the spool down low.

04.5 minor adjustments.hpt

Tuner
    I would say load smarty back in and log. If you're happy with the smarty in the mid and top end, try and replicate the smarty log in your tunes log, taking note of their pilot and main PW, mm3 hit, pilot and main timing etc. I think a 366 will no doubt be a little laggy on the bottom, but you could fiddle with pilot/main timing and smoke control to get it to light as quick as possible. Smarty probably has rail jacked up a touch too. Whether or not you choose to run higher rail is up to you. My own 04.5 isn't a barn stormer, so I've kept rail stock, just smoothed it some. I'm only relatively new to the Cummins 5.9, so others may correct my advice.

Don't be too frustrated when you spend hours going through tables making small changes, then loading it in only for it to do quirky weird stuff. That's all part of the fun!

Tuner in Training
    When i load the smarty back on the truck i cant get it to read the pilot and main pw mmm3 hit and timing to to the extended code not being there unless im not doing it right but ill try after work tonight.

Tuner
    hmm ok, well that makes it a little difficult. I don't have a smarty, was just assuming it would log!

Quote Originally Posted by muz79 View Post
    hmm ok, well that makes it a little difficult. I don't have a smarty, was just assuming it would log!
    Some of the parameters that show up in the scanner are part of our enhanced operating system, that's why you don't see them with non-enhanced software.

Tuner in Training
    The boost limit protection if disabled will allow more boost or is that all done under timing and duration?

Tuner in Training
    I also have a p0633 code now but the tuck starts and runs fine. I have played with the tune a little bit more today. Hopeful what I did was more good then bad haven't loaded it to the tuck yet.

04.5 Boost limit off and Injector's.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    The Boost Limit table doesn't limit boost, it limits fuel based on boost x RPM. So, if you don't want a lot of smoke at low boost, you would want to keep Boost Protection Factor enabled and adjust the fueling to be less at low boost so that it isn't dumping too much in.

Tuner in Training
    No smoke at all in the RPM range just have boost maxed out at factory around 30 PSI. Had 50 on smarty tntr lvl 5. Just looking to some insight on how to get the boost number up.

Tuner
    Waste gate duty cycle is what limits boost if there aren't any fueling limiters
    15 C7Z M7

Tuner in Training
    Aftermarket turbo and waste gate fooler installed. So if the duty cycle of the waste gate is set to 0% on both min and max it should be turned off correct?

Advanced Tuner
    Aftermarket turbo isn't using the boost control solenoid, anyway. So, regardless of what your min/max is, it isn't doing anything.

I looked over your tune briefly. Without your base calibration and going off of an '05 base calibration, it looks like you've modified your Injector Pulsewidth considerably in the 12 to 80 mm3 range, but barely made any changes to the 100+mm3 range.

On top of that, you haven't made any substantial changes to the main timing table other than smoothing, which is not necessarily a good thing considering how much you've increased your pulsewidth duration in the low-to-midrange of your fuel map.

If you want to increase your boost, you're going to need to throw more fuel at it in the higher mm3 range of the map. It would also be a very good idea to reassess your injection timing advance when making changes to the Injector Pulsewidth Duration table.

Good luck!

Tuner in Training
    Injector timing advance is all done under base timing should I do anything with the corrections or leave it alone? reassessed both Inj pw duration and timing. Add my stock file also to compare to. Just trying to keep my nose to the grinding stone when learning to do this, would like it be some what ok before I tune my truck and brake something.

04.5 stock.hpt

04.5 Injector.hpt