Thread: v2.24 MAP logging only going to 255Kpa even when graph is scaled to 300Kpa?

Tuner in Training

v2.24 MAP logging only going to 255Kpa even when graph is scaled to 300Kpa?

Sorry, probably a very newb question:

2009 Cobalt SS with GSM1. I am new to using HP Tuners but started working with it. When using the scanner it by default was scaled to 255Kpa max when logging map. I changed the scaling to be 300Kpa that would match the 3 bar maps that are on the car (2.5 bar is stock without the GMS1 factory tune). But it still only logs to a max of 255. The gauge in the car does show 24-25psi on the tune I am running, but the scanner will not log higher than 255 Kpa (22.5psi). I have tried two different config files (Default imperial, and an LNF config by BackYardTurbo).

I see also that PID additions, customizations are possible for logging, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where to access this in the Scanner software to set it up or modify it. Can you direct me where it is located in the menus?

Post tune/log

Tuner in Training
    Tune, log, and config file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've never messed with an E69 so I'm probably not going to be much help. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this one.

As far as

customizations are possible for logging
    What are you wanting to do exactly?

If you want to log something else, just right click on table display and add whichever PID's you'd like

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I've never messed with an E69 so I'm probably not going to be much help. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this one.

As far as

What are you wanting to do exactly?

If you want to log something else, just right click on table display and add whichever PID's you'd like
    Just an example, but if I wanted to log LTFT + STFT (for total fuel trim), is there a way to create this feature?

Yes

I only have the new version of HP Tuners on this computer so I can't tell you the exact steps. It's called a user defined PID though.

Tuner in Training
    Is it a menu item that I can't find?

or

Is it more like a right mouse click on an item when scrolling through another menu display?

edit: and does it matter if the cable/unit are hooked up to the PC or not?

Page 7 here shows you the basics. Basically add or try to use a PID somewhere (graph, histogram, gauge, whatever). At the bottom of the list of PID's there is a 'configure user defined' option, double click that. Then you can make whatever PID's you want in the window that comes up.

Make sure you add all PID's that you use in the custom PID's to the table display. Otherwise it won't be logging what it needs to make use of your new PID's

Also, try to use PID's instead of SENSORS, despite what the fine text says in some of those windows. Sensors have never worked well at all for me in 2.24

If you're starting from (close to) scratch knowledge wise on HP Tuners, you might consider going ahead and going straight to the latest version (V3). It's a big change from 2.24, but if you don't know 2.24 well and are going to have to learn anyways, you might as well learn on the latest one

In my opinion anyways.

http://wot-tech.com/pdf/Setting%20up...F%20tuning.pdf
    Last edited by schpenxel; 03-16-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Page 7 here shows you the basics. Basically add or try to use a PID somewhere (graph, histogram, gauge, whatever). At the bottom of the list of PID's there is a 'configure user defined' option, double click that. Then you can make whatever PID's you want in the window that comes up.

Make sure you add all PID's that you use in the custom PID's to the table display. Otherwise it won't be logging what it needs to make use of your new PID's

Also, try to use PID's instead of SENSORS, despite what the fine text says in some of those windows. Sensors have never worked well at all for me in 2.24

If you're starting from (close to) scratch knowledge wise on HP Tuners, you might consider going ahead and going straight to the latest version (V3). It's a big change from 2.24, but if you don't know 2.24 well and are going to have to learn anyways, you might as well learn on the latest one

In my opinion anyways.

http://wot-tech.com/pdf/Setting%20up...F%20tuning.pdf
    Very Helpful. Thank you.

Hopefully someone else can tell me how to get my 3 bar maps to log higher than 255Kpa (stock map sensor for the car is 2.5 bar, but the GMS1 factory tune changes to use 3 bar sensors).

Are you sure you posted the right tune? The MAP sensor values don't make any sense to me for something that is supposed to be reading boost. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Tuner in Training
    You are looking at the log file? If so, here is a screen shot of the MAP sensor in chart two (MAP Kpa). You can see it rise as boost comes on as I went WOT, and then the chart goes dead flat at the spot marked and stays at 255 Kpa over the rpm range. I know that boost went up to 24-25 psi on the factory boost gauge (which should have read about 269 Kpa). I have even hit boost cut on a log that again showed only 255 Kpa flat lining (boost cut is at 29 psi so should have showed about the max for the sensor at 300 Kpa).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I fully understand what is happening in the log.

I'm asking about the tune itself. Is the tune you posted the one that was used when you made that log?

Tuner in Training
    It was either that tune or one very, very close to it (I was in the middle of tweaking things, but it was just small value changes in the timing tables, and Desired Air load: but they were very very small changes).

edit: what looks funny in the tune? (which tables or values?)

The MAP sensor and boost sensor values of 65.89kpa for linear and -6.35 for offset looked weird to me

The linear value is supposed to define the change in MAP per 5V change in input voltage. So if you had 200 in this field then it would mean going from a 0V reading to a 5V reading would mean a 200 kpa change in manifold pressure. The sensors only go from 0-5V as far as I know.

The offset tells it what the reading would be at 0V. With those two it can figure out the slope/intercept and figure knows how to turn voltage into MAP

The weird part is the linear value is really low. Mine is over 200 on a 2.5 bar sensor I'm using, yours is 65.89. I don't see how it could read over 60kpa with these settings.

But at the same time I've never messed with an E69, and obviously it is reading higher than that since it's going to 255kpa in the logs.. so that part just made me scratch my head a little.

Tuner in Training
    The MAP sensor and boost sensor values of 65.89kpa for linear and -6.35 for offset looked weird to me

The linear value is supposed to define the change in MAP per 5V change in input voltage. So if you had 200 in this field then it would mean going from a 0V reading to a 5V reading would mean a 200 kpa change in manifold pressure. The sensors only go from 0-5V as far as I know.

The offset tells it what the reading would be at 0V. With those two it can figure out the slope/intercept and figure knows how to turn voltage into MAP

The weird part is the linear value is really low. Mine is over 200 on a 2.5 bar sensor I'm using, yours is 65.89. I don't see how it could read over 60kpa with these settings.

But at the same time I've never messed with an E69, and obviously it is reading higher than that since it's going to 255kpa in the logs.. so that part just made me scratch my head a little.
    Everything you state seems logical from all my understanding of sensors. I have no idea why it is that way. The car is completely stock except that it was taken to the GM dealer by the previous (and only other) owner to have the GM stage one done to it. That includes just upgrading 2 map sensors from 2.5 bar to 3 bar, and flashing the factory tune that is a little more aggressive in a few ways. That GM stage one factory tune is what I started with and I have not changed the map sensor values from what I downloaded.

It is very strange. Not sure if I can find another GMS1 tune somewhere and see what the sensor data reads on those. Also strange is that it is indeed reading up to 255Kpa in every log I have done. I have also logged with a blue tooth adapter and a smart phone app and boost does not go higher than 22.5 psi on that gauge. Corresponds strangely with that is happening the the HP logs.

Tuner in Training
    I found another GMS1 based tune in the repository and it has the exact same boost sensor settings as mine. So I guess mine are correct. The linearity in this case is per one volt I figured out. If you take the sensor range (high minus low listed), times the linearity of 65.XX, it comes out to about 300Kpa which is correct for a 3 bar map sensor.

So the question still remains why I top out at 255 for my HP logs (as well I guess as the blue tooth adapter with smart phone app). The car is running fine and fueling all the way up above that (or it would go crazy lean or throw a code or something).

There appear to be a few different options in the scanner software for boost. I have been using MAP SAE (a PID for it) in the logs I posted already. I have setup a few custom PID's that are for a few other boost sensor options listed and added them to the main table, as well as the charting. I will log again this evening and see if any of them pass 255Kpa (or over 22.5 psi).
    Last edited by califcarm; 03-16-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Ah that would make a lot more sense, at least for the sensor settings

the PID is limited to 255 kpa, its a hard limit of the PCM code.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    the PID is limited to 255 kpa, its a hard limit of the PCM code.
    Yes, it seems so. Found an old discussion in this thread with the possible solution (post 48-50).
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...highlight=GMS1

Seems there is a sensor named boost lores that goes to 512kPa. I guess it is in the charge pipes before the TB, so it will read a little off at part throttle, but is pretty much the same at WOT which is what I am looking for. I will try that tonight and see if it logs the same boost up to and then beyond the normal map readings of 255.