Thread: new to ford tuning

Advanced Tuner

new to ford tuning

Hey guys i really want to start tuning fords i have been tuning commodores for a couple of years now and i would like to get the fords in my repertoire. i am really looking at some good info on what tables to adjust for fuel, timing ect. And yes i have read all the info on speed density. Also is the new 3.0 scanner able to log all the parameters that is needed to tune with out the need for a 3 party scanner?, I will also be purchasing a car to practice tuning on i was thinking a BF or FG not to sure yet. Any in put would be great thanks.

The basic ones I use most are fuel base vrs rpm vrs tps this is your commanded lamba (ideally this should match your actual measured afr after replacing injectors and setting injector settings to suit), map per airmass this table is referenced against varying cam angles (higher numbers less fuel lower numbers more fuel) although this wont need changing much if at all on a standard setup same as map at zero airmass. Spark tables are mbt and borderline. Other tables that correct spark are lamba, iat and ect which also have a multiplier to factor in. There is also spark tip in and a whole host of knock retard settings. Great idea buying a car to test on that's what I did with my fg. The 3.0 scanner seems to log ok on my fg nice and fast but wont work on my ba I havnt played with it much im sure someone else can steer you in the right direction there. I log rpm, speed, load, ect, iat, map, etc angle, accel position, spark, actual afr, commanded afr, cam angle, fuel trims etc. You can make up some great histograms to help you. Amazing software I love it.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks man thats is a lot of help, do you know of any write ups that maybe help full. Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_will View Post
    The basic ones I use most are fuel base vrs rpm vrs tps this is your commanded lamba (ideally this should match your actual measured afr after replacing injectors and setting injector settings to suit), map per airmass this table is referenced against varying cam angles (higher numbers less fuel lower numbers more fuel) although this wont need changing much if at all on a standard setup same as map at zero airmass. Spark tables are mbt and borderline. Other tables that correct spark are lamba, iat and ect which also have a multiplier to factor in. There is also spark tip in and a whole host of knock retard settings. Great idea buying a car to test on that's what I did with my fg. The 3.0 scanner seems to log ok on my fg nice and fast but wont work on my ba I havnt played with it much im sure someone else can steer you in the right direction there. I log rpm, speed, load, ect, iat, map, etc angle, accel position, spark, actual afr, commanded afr, cam angle, fuel trims etc. You can make up some great histograms to help you. Amazing software I love it.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks will, that info was good for me to know also lol.
    there isnt many write ups for basic non turbo tuning but there is as least the speed density thread at the top of this page which is more suited to in depth fuel tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah you can get so much info on GM tuning, full learn at home training packages but not much for the australia fords, there is stuff on the U.S. fords but not to sure if that would cross over. I might look into it, seeing we have the mustang now to.