Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How OPTIMUM SPARK Really Works

its all good like i said im just trying to learn all this

Advanced Tuner
    Which tune is that from?

Advanced Tuner
    T-Man has a picture of mine subtracted on his post and it is accurate. The one you posted is not, unless I didn't change all 4 tables.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    OP Spark is pedal to torque. It is a torque table that literally controls the electronic pedal, and this is how you get electronic to match what the physical pedal is doing. What you listed above is accurate. This is why the OP Spark tables are so important. You have to set them up for the individuals driving habits, along with other tables (such as PE) to go along with them. As for highest MAF numbers, I wouldn't base my info off of that. I have seen lower MAF numbers and faster times.
    Mike, thanks for the reply. I get that I shouldn't base my info off of MAF, I just reference it because it does correlate with my butt and interval times. I do see better times with partial. I have put many hours into my OS / MS tables. I've had them so high I get reduced power with and without cruise control on!! Once I figured out my WG was sticking, I've been able to back off to much more reasonable numbers and I'm loving the drivability. Jimmy S had some good insight on how to tune OS around cruising loads and I think I'v got it to give great response and still enable a very drivable car that has a workable cruise control (I haven't tested Cruise over 70 mph, so that is a risky statement).

So back to my original question. When I look at your Lambda tables compared to mine, I see that yours is flatter and smoother for a given RPM vs Load. What is driving your cal more... goal to be smooth as the RPM increases.... Or Flat Lambda target for RPM / Load curve?

I'm trying to frame this so I can figure out how to optimize my cal.... versus just copying your tables..... As i think is the intent of this forum!!

my next queston is about adjusting the stock OS table. Do you just get the MS right then subtract it from the OS? or do you need to adjust the stock OS then subtract?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 09cobalt 2.2 View Post
    Attachment 57826 idk i might be confused not calling you out im just trying to learn this
    In his base tune file, in the original post, he does not have the main spark subtracted form the OS tables yet.

That said, you will need to make sure you get spark down first (spark hook test if you have a dyno, make sure there is no KR, etc), and keep it smooth. Then you can play with the OS tables by subtracting the main spark from the OS.
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 04-04-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Tuner
    Also, thanks to all of you sharing. This is usually a great community for that. Thanks for passing the knowledge on. I'm playing with all that is discussed on this forum. Specifically, OS tables right now, to better understand them.

Advanced Tuner
    Negative. If you were to do this properly, you would want to adjust OP Spark first, then adjust Spark.

09cobalt2.2, you will want to adjust OP Spark, then work on Spark. If you are still learning OP Spark, you can subtract Main from OP, then adjust Main, then add it back to OP Spark when you are done. You really want to do OP Spark first.

ok went threw and redid that and smoothed it can you guys take a look and let me know if im going in the right direction? this is with the main spark subtracted from the opti spark

Screenshot (79).png

Screenshot (80).png

Advanced Tuner
    I don't like how you set up your low load stuff. The rest of the way you did it isn't bad. It'll depend on who the driver is and there style of driving and how you like things to feel. Also in the Hughes load column, you kind of bounce around a little bit and I'm not sure why. Your idle is not ideal, and you will probably see false KR as you transition from a stop to taking off.

so basically there should be more in the low load areas and smooth the high load areas? and also smooth in the idle area in some more? just want to make sure im understanding this right

Advanced Tuner
    I would say lower the low load areas, or raise up the middle but that'll make it aggressive. Careful messing with idle because it'll cause idle issues, and you'll have to adjust other areas to make sure it's good, but yes it needs to smooth into it.

heres another one i just did again this is just me trying to figure out the mapping. so just give me pointers on what i need to look at and how it should flow. and yes i do understand its based on the driver

Screenshot (81).png

Screenshot (82).png

well we just posted at the same time lol so i just seen your last post mike

ok heres the other one and i think im starting to understand it now.

Screenshot (85).png

Screenshot (86).png

Advanced Tuner
    Give it a try and see how she does. If everything runs safe (I'm not sure what your Spark Tables look like) and you want to know more about what the table does, highlight the whole table and subtract 5 from it, and see how she feels. Should hopefully help you understand how it works. Pay attention to how the throttle works in the logs (electronic throttle).

ok will do i have more reading on other things first btw heres what my timing map looks like its basicly the stock one but smoothed out. i will be adding more to it when i get the issues worked out

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (88).png

Advanced Tuner
    You really shouldn't have single digits that low in the load. 160 - 200, maybe some single digits, but that's only as low as maybe 8. I definitely wouldn't have anything negative or lower then 8.

do they even hit those cells that have the negative numbers?