Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How OPTIMUM SPARK Really Works

Advanced Tuner
    No, but some of the areas you have low numbers do get hit and you have too low of numbers.

i see

Advanced Tuner
    If timing is too low, the car won't maintain and it'll end up dipping negative because of that. That's why pulling timing when you see KR isn't always the answer. A lot of times you need to add timing to get rid of KR.

i see that may have been my kr issue

Advanced Tuner
    Try it out, and see if you like it or not.

Will do but I probably won't be able to get to it till the weekend though but thanks for all your help

Advanced Tuner
    No problem.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Negative. If you were to do this properly, you would want to adjust OP Spark first, then adjust Spark.

09cobalt2.2, you will want to adjust OP Spark, then work on Spark. If you are still learning OP Spark, you can subtract Main from OP, then adjust Main, then add it back to OP Spark when you are done. You really want to do OP Spark first.
    I see now. I have more playing around to do.

Tuner in Training
    if im understanding things right, the opti spark tables deal with throttle plate movements based on changes in pedal input? higher numbers in the opti spark table makes the throttle plate really jumpy and responsive to changes in pedal position? the lower the number, the more chill the throttle plate will be towards pedal changes? so my thought is make it chill in the cruise sections to save gas so it's not jumping up in load cells every time the pedal gets pushed down 1/16" and otherwise leave it alone. i started with taking 10 away from my cruise cells and smoothing a bit in the opti spark tables. am i on the right track?

tables.png
    Last edited by FLASH1970; 01-20-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    02 ws6-nitrous,intake
    99 gsx,880 injectors,eboost 2,lc-1,evo9 fuel pump,hard pipes,self tuned,17psi
    09 cobalt ss- LHU swap w/LHU manifolds & injectors,intercooler & pipes,3" dp,K&N intake,3 bars,hp tuned-ish
    02 softail-se204 cams,intake,VH exhaust,carb rejet

Advanced Tuner
    You have to have your Spark Tables down along with OP Spark. They both go hand in hand but you need to know how Spark works with this ECU and Direct Injection. The higher the number (above the Spark. Umber) equals more urgency, too much and its uncontrollable. The lower or even less than the Spark number in the same cell, and the lower the urgency.

Tuner in Training
    ok, i think i understand. have it match the spark table with slight changes depending on how responsive i want the throttle to be in certain areas...

i was under the impression that spark timing was degrees before TDC.
    02 ws6-nitrous,intake
    09 cobalt ss- LHU swap w/LHU manifolds & injectors,intercooler & pipes,3" dp,K&N intake,3 bars,hp tuned-ish

Advanced Tuner
    You have to have the OP Spark table make smooth adjustments but it's based off of Spark tables so it doesn't necessarily seem smooth but yes it depends on how touchy you want it.

Tuner in Training
    im going to tweak things in the low load columns and log my car as i idle and press the pedal to see what it does with different inputs in the OP Spark tables. im sure that'll help me understand things. once i know that i can start playing with that table bit by bit. Mike, i looked at your base tune you uploaded on here and the OP table does kind of ramp up like the spark table, but not as drastic of a curve that the spark table has. here are your tables im talking about.

confused again.png
    Last edited by FLASH1970; 01-20-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    02 ws6-nitrous,intake

Advanced Tuner
    Look at my base tune (I don't recall what the values are). Look at the 3D model of the OP Spark. Subtract the Spart Table from the OP Spark and then look at the 3D model again.checkout the differences in smoothness.

Tuner in Training
    this is what i get when i subtract the spark from OP spark in your tune.

i has brain pain.png

here's a stock OP Spark table with the Spark table values subtracted from the OP Spark table.
    stock diferencce.png

and mine looks nothing like either. lol. ill look at it some more and see if the fog clears.

to me it almost looks like the OP Spark table acts like the WGDC table. only it controls the throttle body. you want the throttle to open nice and smooth and stay open just like you'd want boost to come one nice and smooth so you'd smooth out the WGDC table.
    Last edited by FLASH1970; 01-20-2017 at 08:56 PM.
    02 ws6-nitrous,intake