Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 MAP scaling

03 MAP scaling

Does anyone know the range on an oem MAP sensor on the 2003? Is it 3 bar?

51psia
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Tuner
    Is the 04.5-07 the same?

Yes all CR up to 2007 AFAIK are all 51psia
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]

Sounds like 3.5bar then and roughly 36psig depending on altitude.

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Am I blind? I haven't found the scaling for the MAP or some means to boost fool on a '07 5.9L.

There is no need to rescale the MAP....it cant read any higher then 51psia, so trying to go over it in the tune is pointless.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I saw those PIDs earlier, but wasn't sure if they were what I necessarily needed to manipulate the boost based on their descriptions.

IE: 7547 is labeled Overboost threshold and is currently set at 103 kPa. Currently the engine runs up to 28psi, so the 103 does not seem to jive with a maximum boost setting. Or are you setting the threshold very high such that the wastegate control doesn't start until you hit your target value? Or did I get lost in units / atm vs relative?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrvin View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I saw those PIDs earlier, but wasn't sure if they were what I necessarily needed to manipulate the boost based on their descriptions.

IE: 7547 is labeled Overboost threshold and is currently set at 103 kPa. Currently the engine runs up to 28psi, so the 103 does not seem to jive with a maximum boost setting. Or are you setting the threshold very high such that the wastegate control doesn't start until you hit your target value? Or did I get lost in units / atm vs relative?
    We do not yet have access to the boost control tables. The overboost threshold is the minimum amount of boost pressure required to perform the overboost check. Its CEL related, not control related.

The boost pressure limit is where fuel quantity will be reduced to prevent the boost from going higher than the number.

And I rescale everything to PSI immediately, so I can actually visualize everything in units that make sense to me. Right click on the table, do row axis, then units, to change to whatever you want.
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Mike View Post
    We do not yet have access to the boost control tables.
    OK, this is what I was really getting at. So at this time, we'll have to boost fool by some other means to increase the boost. I need more air in the motor at the moment and 28psi isn't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Mike View Post
    And I rescale everything to PSI immediately, so I can actually visualize everything in units that make sense to me. Right click on the table, do row axis, then units, to change to whatever you want.
    I'm used to flip flopping between the units from years of having boosted cars with gauges that function in kPa vs. systems running in PSI or vice versa. But didn't want to discount that I was making some error so threw that out there as a possibility.

I'm not sure what you guys are looking for.....but you can easily make over 40psi on a stock turbo with the tables avail (04.5+)
    Last edited by 2007 5.9; 02-22-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]

OK, this is what I was really getting at. So at this time, we'll have to boost fool by some other means to increase the boost. I need more air in the motor at the moment and 28psi isn't cutting it.
    I agree with Les here. It should be no problem running over 40 psi. Even if the gate is bailing open early (the mechanical gate trucks open in the 23-26 psi range), it should be no problem fueling it enough to creep. It's not a big enough gate to keep the boost down once you start adding fuel.

Rescale or turn off boost limit and nothing else will hold you back. Unless your turbo is failing or you have some other issue (obstructed intake/exhaust, boost leak)
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    And, now didn't realize you're just over running the gate. Gotcha, thanks guys

And, now didn't realize you're just over running the gate. Gotcha, thanks guys
    On the 03-04 trucks you can either over power the gate or manually adjust the rod to increase boost.

On the 04.5-07 trucks you can easily adjust max boost within the software.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]

Tuner
    04.5 and up using the dc max and min? Is there missing parameters still on the turbo tab?

Duty cycle is the only adjustment.

There are no desired boost tables.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]

Tuner
    So I understand that dc min max is the only adjustment available to us (and efi users) and that we can achieve results by using this method, however, with factory settings, how does the ecm define boost under stock conditions ie 32psi?

Tuner in Training
    OK, read a bit more and had success reading how boost has been manipulated in the past.

So no, there is not a direct table referencing boost, limits, etc.

Essentially you're tweaking the min/max duty cycles to force it to creep above the original factory targets. And then keeping in mind you need to adjust the diagnostic parameters to keep the ECM from getting angry.

Thanks for leading me to the water Les.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hardrvin; 02-24-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    factory scan tool reads to 50 psi at 4.55 volts and .5 volts is 0 psi. i dont think that you need to worry about scaling in a higher range sensor. unless you want to use a 100 psi as a guage to data log .

OK, read a bit more and had success reading how boost has been manipulated in the past.

So no, there is not a direct table referencing boost, limits, etc.

Essentially you're tweaking the min/max duty cycles to force it to creep above the original factory targets. And then keeping in mind you need to adjust the diagnostic parameters to keep the ECM from getting angry.

Thanks for leading me to the water Les.
    I'm more than happy to lead people to water...
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]