Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Setup Wideband / External sensor in VCM Scanner V3 (With PRO Interface)

HOW TO: Setup Wideband / External sensor in VCM Scanner V3 (With PRO Interface)

This is meant to serve as a basic how-to for setting up a wideband or other external sensor in VCM Scanner V3 WITH a PRO interface. The basic idea is to first tell the software WHICH input you want to record then you have to tell it WHAT to do with it.

----------------------------------------
    WHEN USING A PRE-DEFINED (COMMON) SENSOR:

Step 1: Right click in the channels window, select add channel

Step 2: Find MPVI A/D Input 1 (if you are using input 1--change accordingly for your input). DOUBLE Click on this.

Step 3: Confirm MPVI A/D Input 1 has been added to channel window. Sometimes these don't end up quite where you think they should, so if you don't see it right away please look at the rest of the channel list to confirm it is there

Step 4: Right click on the newly added "MPVI A/D Channel Input 1" channel and select "Transform"

Step 5: This window will come up where you can select a sensor & units. In this case I'm using a PLX O2 sensor and want Lambda

Step 6: Under Oxygen Sensors-->Lambda-->PLX. Click on PLX and select "OK" at the bottom of the window

Step 7: Confirm your channel has now changed to MPVI.1 -> PLX (or whatever is appropriate for your selections)

You have now added an external sensor using pre-defined settings.

Next up is how to add a custom setup sensor instead of using the already defined ones. This is useful when voltage offset issues present themselves OR you are using a sensor that is not in the list that HPT has included.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 02-12-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Next up is how to add a custom setup sensor instead of using the already defined ones. This is useful when voltage offset issues present themselves OR you are using a sensor that is not in the list that HPT has included.

-------------------------------------------------
    (first 5 steps are the same)

WHEN USING A CUSTOM DEFINED SENSOR:

Step 1: Right click in the channels window, select add channel

Step 2: Find MPVI A/D Input 1 (if you are using input 1--change accordingly for your input). DOUBLE Click on this.

Step 3: Confirm MPVI A/D Input 1 has been added to channel window. Sometimes these don't end up quite where you think they should, so if you don't see it right away please look at the rest of the channel list to confirm it is there

Step 4: Right click on the newly added "MPVI A/D Channel Input 1" channel and select "Transform"

Step 5: This window will come up where you can select a sensor & units. In this case I'm using a PLX O2 sensor and want Lambda

Step 6: Go to "user defined"

Step 7: Enter a Description and transfer function. I'm using the same as the PLX Lambda one except I've changed the offset by 0.04 just as an example

Step 8: Select "click to insert or change" right beside of "Parameter" down at the bottom. This is to define WHAT you are logging. Fuel pressure, lambda, methanol pressure, whatever. You have to select something here.

Step 9: In my case I'm using a PLX Lambda O2 sensor so I find that in the list and use it. You can also select things like fuel pressure and a few others throughout the list if needed

Step 10: Double click on the one you want and you may or may not get a generic sensor tip box. Select YES if you do get one

Step 11: Back at the transform editor, confirm everything is correct and hit "OK"

Step 12: That is it. Your custom defined sensor should now be working and show up just like a pre-defined one
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    Great post. I found that custom was the way to go with dual widebands, once you did the transformations you could not select each sensor individually to do further analysis such as calculating an average wide band error.

Rob

2017 Chevrolet SS 6mt LSA
    Prior - 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT LSA
    Old - 1998 BMW 540I Supercharged 402 LS2/T-56 swap
    Older - 1992 BMW 325i 402 LS2/T-56 swap
    Very old - 1995 BMW M3/ 402 LS2/T-56 swap

Good point and that is something that was brought up during the Beta. It will average the two wideband readings together if you are have dual widebands and use the built in transforms (or that is my understanding anyways)

If you have two of the same widebands, and you want to plot each of them individually:

Define the first one as you would normally, using the built in transform. Plot against this in your chart.
    Define the second one as a user defined transform, and assign it a parameter of "WB EQ Ratio 2" for example, and them plot "WB EQ Ratio 2" on the chart.

There are parameters defined for sensors 1-8 (EQ ratio and Air/Fuel Ratio), and a parameter for bank 1 and bank 2 as well.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

I really need some help on the next step, getting a AFR or EQ Error. It looks very easy when I try it but my the AFR or EQ sensor is pink in the "Math" parameter like I don't have it. I am successfully logging AFR and/or Lambda from my AFX wideband I just can't get the error to log against the commanded AFR/EQ. I'm about to cry because I know I'm not stupid and I have a tune to do in the morning but this isn't working.
    2006 Tahoe
    Iron ls2, built up 4l60e w/vig 3000 stall, 232/234 114, 4.30s, LTs, ORY NNBS intake and LS2 TB etc.

Fighting solves everything...
    ...except partial differential equations.

Click here to combine multiple VE Logs into one.

Quote Originally Posted by axekick View Post
    I really need some help on the next step, getting a AFR or EQ Error. It looks very easy when I try it but my the AFR or EQ sensor is pink in the "Math" parameter like I don't have it. I am successfully logging AFR and/or Lambda from my AFX wideband I just can't get the error to log against the commanded AFR/EQ. I'm about to cry because I know I'm not stupid and I have a tune to do in the morning but this isn't working.
    Post a screenshot of the afr and eq error math parameters and your channel list and we'll figure it out. It has to be something small.

Are you using a pro interface or standard via egr/AC port?

It's like this. I have the AFR working through the standard setup and have the commanded AFR but it won't let me do the AFR error because it doesn't see my AFR for what it is.
    Screenshot.jpg
    2006 Tahoe
    Iron ls2, built up 4l60e w/vig 3000 stall, 232/234 114, 4.30s, LTs, ORY NNBS intake and LS2 TB etc.

Did you Transform your wideband to AFR or Lambda? Lets see the Wideband setup

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Sure. It's like this. It's reading fine, just not being seen as AFR in the parameters.
    Screenshot.jpg
    2006 Tahoe

I'm just not seeing it, sorry. Maybe you should delete the Channel MPVI and start over with it. It should be configuring as a 50120 AFR Sensor and not turning the Error value red??????

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Yeah I'd try deleting it too and start over, I'm not seeing what's wrong either..

Does the EQ ratio error one work by chance? Wouldn't think so if the WB is setup as AFR but figured I'd ask

Potential Tuner
    Do you have any information on the outputs of the interface? I'm not seeing anything on turning them on/off.

No control over those in V3 thus far

Tuner in Training
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...or-Not-Working post 10,11,13 address axekick's problem I think he hasn't said yet if that worked should tho

Tuner in Training
    I'm using the Innovate MTX-L wideband, since it's not on the pre defined list, which parameter do I click to insert or change? I tried the LC-1 and selected the generic sensor with the offset I used with 2.24 and it doesn't work.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CornDog View Post
    I'm using the Innovate MTX-L wideband, since it's not on the pre defined list, which parameter do I click to insert or change? I tried the LC-1 and selected the generic sensor with the offset I used with 2.24 and it doesn't work.
    Try the LC2. All of the Innovates seem to use the same values except for the LM-1 so the LM-2,LC1, and LC2 should all work. Otherwise, you have a configuration issue. Either it is wired to the interface wrong, you are logging the wrong channel, or the scanner channel is configured incorrectly.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Try the LC2. All of the Innovates seem to use the same values except for the LM-1 so the LM-2,LC1, and LC2 should all work. Otherwise, you have a configuration issue. Either it is wired to the interface wrong, you are logging the wrong channel, or the scanner channel is configured incorrectly.
    the only thing that has changed is the software version, if I switch back to 2.24, it logs just fine. I tried the LC-2 and the same thing happened, no actual values appear for wideband data.

Quote Originally Posted by CornDog View Post
    the only thing that has changed is the software version, if I switch back to 2.24, it logs just fine. I tried the LC-2 and the same thing happened, no actual values appear for wideband data.
    Are you actually adding it to the channels display?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Post screenshot and/or channel config so we have something to go on..