Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Add Wideband reading to a Chart in VCM Scanner V3

HOW TO: Add Wideband reading to a Chart in VCM Scanner V3

This is how-to that shows the basics on adding parameters to charts in VCM Scanner V3. For this one we will add our Wideband reading.

THIS TUTORIAL ASSUMES YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR WIDEBAND READING WORKING WITH DATA SHOWING IN THE "CHANNEL" LIST:
    HOW TO: Setup Wideband / External sensor in VCM Scanner V3 (With PRO Interface)

--------------------------------

Adding your wideband reading to a Chart in Scanner V3

Step 1: Go to the "Chart vs. Time" tab. If you do not have a tab with this label, select Layout-->Add to Layout-->Chart vs. Time to add one

Step 2: Select the "Add Series" button on the top tool bar. It is the one with the green + symbol that only shows ONE graph in the icon

Step 3: You've created a new series..

Step 4a: Now lets give it a label. For this one, WB PLX (as I'll be using my PLX wideband)
    Step 4b: Click on "click to insert or change" beside "Parameter:" This is where you define what you want to show up on the chart

Step 5: In this list you have access to all of the parameters available to you. By default it will show EVERY parameter you could possibly ever log, regardless of whether it's something you CAN actually log. If it's not in your channel list then you can't log it.

Step 6: Here you can see just how many parameters there are.. we can make it easier!

Step 7: Select the gear icon with the green check mark. This will filter the list of available parameters down to ONLY what is actually usable based on your channel config. You can see the dramatic reduction in parameters in the list

Step 8: V3 Scanner also includes a really nice search feature. I typed in PLX and along with that and the filter button mentioned in step 7 you're down to only one possible option. Double click on it.

Step 9: You may or may not be asked about using a Generic Sensor--if you are asked, I recommend you use the Generic sensor by select "Yes, Sounds good!"

Step 10: Now we're back at the Chart Display. Notice that the "Parameter" is not selected as "EQ Ratio [Sensor]" which is the generic form of the lambda sensor. You'll also see a drop down box of different units.. you can change this to convert your WB reading into common units very easily.

Step 11: Now setup the rest of the graph. I set mine to 2 decimal places, 1.5 max (lambda, 0.5 min (lambda) and set the color to yellow because that's just what I'm used to

Step 12: Close out that window and start logging.. if all was done correctly then you're in business!
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Thanks for the Thread. I have been trying to set my wideband up and am struggling with it. It's a Ballenger setup and have asked many questions with no replies. I have added the channel transformed it to the Ballenger and can never log any a/f error or can never even see the actual a/f the sensor is reading. I think it is because there is no air sensor channel selected and I cant find one in the channels to select. I don't understand why when I transform the input to a Ballenger and start logging the Ballenger channel disappears and wont log the wideband.

Attaching more pic to show when I add a MPVI channel and it shows to be a Ballenger and another pic showing when I start scanning the channel disappears and the other pic shows that I can right click that disappeared channel and it will let me transform the blank Disappeared channel. Hopefully this makes since.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Road; 02-12-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks for the effort!
    '15 Colorado Z71 | '07 TrailBlazer SS | '87 Monte Carlo SS | '80 Lemans Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    Thanks for the Thread. I have been trying to set my wideband up and am struggling with it. It's a Ballenger setup and have asked many questions with no replies. I have added the channel transformed it to the Ballenger and can never log any a/f error or can never even see the actual a/f the sensor is reading. I think it is because there is no air sensor channel selected and I cant find one in the channels to select. I don't understand why when I transform the input to a Ballenger and start logging the Ballenger channel disappears and wont log the wideband.
    There is no wideband added to the channel config in that screenshot as best I can tell.. are you getting a reading from the wideband? That is the first part you have to get working first. The math parameter depends on that working first

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    There is no wideband added to the channel config in that screenshot as best I can tell.. are you getting a reading from the wideband? That is the first part you have to get working first. The math parameter depends on that working first
    It is added it just disappeares when I start scanning no I never get a live reading from it. Do you have to set up a math just to watch it in the channel config?

If it disappears then something else is wrong. You can't use it in a math parameter if it isn't working to begin with

Post what the channel list looks like before it disappears

If it disappears then something else is wrong. You can't use it in a math parameter if it isn't working to begin with

Post what the channel list looks like before it disappears
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am thinking my wideband setup is not going to work with this new scanner. I am going to have to move forward with one that works with the new scanner. Is there a known list of ones that do? The Ballenger works well with my dyno software but wont work with HP Tuners.

I am thinking my wideband setup is not going to work with this new scanner. I am going to have to move forward with one that works with the new scanner. Is there a known list of ones that do? The Ballenger works well with my dyno software but wont work with HP Tuners.
    I've had good luck with a PLX 4.9 setup. $180 or so for the whole setup isn't too bad. Got mine on Amazon. 6 months on original sensor, nearly daily driving and never an issue

I've had good luck with a PLX 4.9 setup. $180 or so for the whole setup isn't too bad. Got mine on Amazon. 6 months on original sensor, nearly daily driving and never an issue
    That's cheap enough I have more than $180 worth of frustration in mine now. I spent half of a day trying to make it work today. I have a old laptop still running 2.24 and mine works on it but that's only good for GM tuning. It's apparent I am not getting any support getting it to work so if the PLX 4.9 works with 3.0 scanner I will order it... Thanks

That's cheap enough I have more than $180 worth of frustration in mine now. I spent half of a day trying to make it work today. I have a old laptop still running 2.24 and mine works on it but that's only good for GM tuning. It's apparent I am not getting any support getting it to work so if the PLX 4.9 works with 3.0 scanner I will order it... Thanks
    That's the one I used in the how to above so it should be really simple to setup. I've been happy with it for the price, though I've never compared it to readings from a higher end one.. it's always consistent, though, so I feel pretty good about it

Hopefully it works for you. I hate recommending stuff just in case people have problems...

I have the a wideband being inputted on the AC 0-5v input. How would I get it to show up on V3 scanner? I forgot how to do a lot and I'm remaking all my configs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganader View Post
    I have the a wideband being inputted on the AC 0-5v input. How would I get it to show up on V3 scanner? I forgot how to do a lot and I'm remaking all my configs.
    Stickies in Scanner section ....How To's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_2M2uGSKs

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=mowton;425438]Stickies in Scanner section ....How To's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_2M2uGSKs

My WB AFR gauge on Scanner is stuck on reading 17.354% and doesn't move...

Watched your video, thanks man! Got my LC-2 and gauge to connect and read through scanner but I must have the - voltage incorrect. Their manual shows 0 volts as 7.35 AFR and 5 volts as 22.39 AFR. In the math parameters (following your video) I used +15.04 but I must be forgetting something? HELP Ed!

Post some screenshots of how you have it setup

Tuner in Training
    Post some screenshots of how you have it setup
    See attached shots of Math and then the Scanner setups...Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

Thanks for the help!

That formula can't be right for your WB setup... if you plug in a few values you'll see why..

0V--> 0 / 0.5 + 15.04 = 15.04 AFR
    5V--> 5 / 0.5 + 15.04 = 25.04 AFR

so.. there's no way for it to read less than 15.04.. unless I'm totally missing something

You'll also want to change the units on the first screenshot to AFR instead of %

HPT has the formula for that wideband as V / 0.3324 + 7.35. I would try updating yours to that first...
    Last edited by schpenxel; 04-26-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Thanks SCHPENXEL, I have made the adjustments and will go fire her up now and report back...

Sorry very busy but here is the formula.....

0 volts as 7.35 AFR and 5 volts as 22.39 AFR so 22.39-7.35=15.04 which is the AFR Range. Take the AFR Range and divide it into the 5 volt range (0 to 5v) or .332447. The last value is your lowest AFR (or Lambda reading) which in your case is 7.35. So as Carson has said, the transform equation is V/,332447+7.35.

You can use the pre-configured value, or hit Fx and the User Defined editor will appear below. This will let you manipulate the 7.35 (offset) value to bring the HP Tuners readings in line with your WB gauge. Be careful though because most gauges only provide a 14.68 AFR for stoich and if you are running E10 (or greater), which most of the country does and you have set your commanded stoich in your tune to the correct 14.2, you want the gauge to read 14.68 and HP Tuners to read 14.2.......That is why I only teach LAMBDA :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Sorry very busy but here is the formula.....

0 volts as 7.35 AFR and 5 volts as 22.39 AFR so 22.39-7.35=15.04 which is the AFR Range. Take the AFR Range and divide it into the 5 volt range (0 to 5v) or .332447. The last value is your lowest AFR (or Lambda reading) which in your case is 7.35. So as Carson has said, the transform equation is V/,332447+7.35.

You can use the pre-configured value, or hit Fx and the User Defined editor will appear below. This will let you manipulate the 7.35 (offset) value to bring the HP Tuners readings in line with your WB gauge. Be careful though because most gauges only provide a 14.68 AFR for stoich and if you are running E10 (or greater), which most of the country does and you have set your commanded stoich in your tune to the correct 14.2, you want the gauge to read 14.68 and HP Tuners to read 14.2.......That is why I only teach LAMBDA :-)

Ed M
    So, I think I updated the math but here was the result...

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png