Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Setting up Fuel Trim Graph in VCM Scanner V3 on Virtual VE Vehicles

HOW TO: Setting up Fuel Trim Graph in VCM Scanner V3 on Virtual VE Vehicles

This is meant to serve as a basic how-to for setting up Graphs in VCM Scanner V3. Specifically we will be concentration on a Graph that displays fuel trim values on a VIRTUAL VE Vehicle. This is slightly more difficult than a non-VVE vehicle.

---------------------------------

Adding a Fuel Trim graph on a VVE Vehicle:

I will warn you now that this is going to look like a lot of steps, but I'm putting every mouse click as a different step, so it's really not that much work. I can do this in under a minute after doing it a few times.

Step 1: Go to your "Graph" tab, right click and select "Graphs Layout". If you do not have a Graphs tab then go to Layout-->Add to layout-->Graph to add one to your layout

Step 2: In the Graph and Display Editor, Select the "Add Table" icon (click on + icon and then select Add tabl

Step 3a: Give the new graph a name. In this case we're going to do "VE vs. Fuel trims".
    Step 3b: Click on "click to insert or change" beside "Parameter:"

Step 4: This brings up a list of things you can make show up in the graph. We want Fuel Trims..

Step 5: Fortunately HPT has a built in parameter in V3 that adds together LTFT and STFT, so that makes things easy. This is under Maths-->Fuel Trims, then select "LTFT + STFT". Double click on this.

Next is the part that most people get stumped on. It isn't hard, just follow the steps.

Step 6: Open up the tune for your VVE vehicle in Editor. Go to edit-->Virtual Volumetric Efficiency.

Step 7: The window that pops up is the Virtual Volumetric Efficiency Editor.

Step 8: On the left hand side of the table you will see where it says "Manifold Absolute Pressure (kPa)". CLICK on this and it will bring up an Axix Editor

Step 9: Here you can change the axis to meet your needs. This particular truck is an NA setup, so selecting the 10-105kpa default option works just fine. If you're going to be running boost but will be under 15psi, select the 10-210 kpa option. If you're just going for full ridiculousness, select the 10-315 option (good for 30psi of boost!)

Step 10: The previous drop down box automatically fills in the data in the "enter your new Axis" text box. You CAN change these manually but for most people the defaults work fine. Hit OK to save your changes.

Step 11: Now it's time to setup the RPM axis. Click on "Engine Speed (rpm)" at the TOP of the Virtual VE table and you will get this box. Same deal here.. using the default select whatever range works best for your setup. For me 400-6400 is all I need.

Step 12: Alright, here is your "VE" table with the column and row Axis setup how you want them. The reason we did all this was because we need those labels to use in Scanner so that column and row axis on out graph AND our VE table MATCH

Step 13: To copy the column axis, right click anywhere inside the VE table, select Column Axis and select "Copy Labels"

Step 14: Go back to the Graph Display Layout Editor window you left open in Scanner. Paste the Column Axis Values that you copied in Scanner into the "values" field under Column Axis

Step 15: And here is the result after you paste those values in the "values" section of the Column Axis

Step 17: Go back to the VVE Editor and right click again, select row axis, copy labels.

Step 18: Back to Scanner, paste these values into the "Row Axis" Values section like shown

Step 19: In the column axis section, click on "click to insert or change". Type RPM into the window that pops up, HIT THE GREEN CHECK MARK FILTER button, and you should only be left with one or two options. If you get a box about using a generic sensor, I would select yes.

Step 20: Here's what it should look like with RPM Parameter now setup properly

Step 21: Now click on "click to insert or change" for the ROW axis section. Type in Manifold absolute, hit the green filter button and that should filter it down to one or two. Double click, and hit Yes if you get a box about using a generic sensor.

Step 22: This is what you were going for. You have a PARAMTER that you want to log (at the top, LTFT+STFT), you have a COLUMN axis that matches your virtual VE table (RPM and the axis labels) and you have a ROW axis that matches your virtual VE table (MAP and axis labels)

Step 23: Fill in the other info, min, max, decimals, etc. as you see fit. This is what I usually use:

Finished Product: This is what it should look like when it's all said and done. Obviously this tune needs some work!
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    Subscribed

How u get labels if theres no vve

Open the regular VE table and do the same thing, right click, row/column, copy labels.. Usually it's under Engine, Airflow, General, "Primary" or "Boost" in the Main VE section, depending on what OS or upgrade you're running (if any)

The RPM/MAP axis are BACKWARDS on non-VVE vehicles so you'll want to switch the row/column axis parameters (i.e. MAP and RPM).

Column will be MAP and row will be RPM. I was going to do another HOW TO for that but haven't had a chance yet

Tuner
    can you explain from here, how to paste special onto the actual PCM file? reason I am asking, I just started with tuning my Fbody, but Im about to do a car that has a E40 controller.
    Thank you very much for breaking it down.

E40 doesn't have virtual VE

Although in my channels, my Air/Fuel ratio command, Power Enrichment, AFR error percentage carried from 2.24 to 3.0, but when I scan the car, they don't show up in the channels so I don't collect the data.

can I get a step by step to get the tables working

Post your channel config, I've never messed with importing a 2.24 config so I'm flying blind

All you really have to do to add them is right click in the channel list, hit add channel, type in air/fuel and that should show you a few options for what you can log for air/fuel ratio commanded. Double click to add them to the channel list.

For power enrichment I'm not sure what you want to log? What ECM is this?

If you're logging air/fuel ratio commanded then that will cover showing you whether you're in PE or not. You can add "equivalence ratio commanded" too (I would)

AFR error % does NOT have to show up in channel list in order to work (you can't add it to the channel list actually). If you're logging your wideband and logging commanded AFR then there is a built in AFR error parameter that should work

You have to use it in a chart or graph, you can't just add it to the channel list

Thanks for this and the various other tutorials. I was getting a good handle on HPT 2.24, then I had computer issues, and suddenly now I have HPT3.00.! This has been an incredible learning curve, so I appreciate
    your work.

No problem. Glad it helped!

Tuner
    dang, I am glad it doesn't have it then, It should be pretty straight forward to tune the VE table on it then, just fail the MAF set up parameter to log and get AFR%error.
    thanks
    I appreciate that bit of information.

We made our first logs, and adjusted the VVE table this weekend. I am used to seeing lambda with 2.24, but with 3.00 Eq error shows percent in (+) and (-). Do I add and subtract, or multiply the decimal equivalent of percent? This is making me feel like a nubee..lol i multiplied...

Paste special, multiply by % (or half)

If you got a value of +2% that means increase that cell of VE/MAF tables by 2%, same as fuel trim values work.

-2% would mean decrease it by 2%

Thanks again, its working, do I have to reset Fuel trims every time I log, when using LTFT-STFT error? LTFT is cummulative, so the longer it learns, it should be more accurate? I have been changing only the cells where STFT is 0 or 1. Am I on track with this.
    I will use the WBand to map 100-210 boosted region...that will bring more questions...

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4SC 5 spd. with E67.

Are you using the LTFT+STFT parameter I showed in the pictures or something else? Doesn't make much sense to make any changes if STFT's are 0 or 1. That would mean it's making 0 to 1% corrections.. i.e. next to nothing

No, don't reset fuel trims when you log.

Yes i am using LTFT+STFT. I had gotten the info from another thread...he was saying that once LTFT is learned, then STFT would be 0 or 1 for that cell. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JMsquared View Post
    Thanks again, its working, do I have to reset Fuel trims every time I log, when using LTFT-STFT error? LTFT is cummulative, so the longer it learns, it should be more accurate? I have been changing only the cells where STFT is 0 or 1. Am I on track with this.
    I will use the WBand to map 100-210 boosted region...that will bring more questions...

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4SC 5 spd. with E67.
    Yes, reset Fuel trims before every logging session is a good habit to get into. Using the LT +ST will always give the current fueling and learning is moot. With Open Loop WB Err tuning you don't want any "Hanging" trims throwing off your fueling results. In E38's, drive it around for 5- 10 minutes before logging data after a flash, especially if in Closed Loop....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Ok, now to the boosted region; what limits boost on E67 ecm? It maxed out at 3psi, unless i override the controls.
    How does PE figure into the table cells? I am trying to get .78 lambda in boost, max boost is 12psi.
    It is a beast at 10psi.

What map are you using?

Override what controls? What vehicle?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

2006 Cobalt 2.4L with 5 speed.
    Installed a supercharger in Dec 2014 from a 2.0 cobalt,(M62) with GMPP stage 2 pulley and 42lb injectors. (I was posting here when we were tuning, but I cannot find the thread).
    We tuned MAF. only. Been driving since then being very careful about boost, until we learned about the BlueCat tool. We were getting a handle on it when I inadvertently ended up with the 3.00 version.
    I am using the 2.5 bar MAP from the 2.0SC i am considering a 2 bar for better resolution, has to be a TMAP sensor.
    The blower has a bypass valve with ECM controlled soleniod valve, that uses boost pressure to control boost level.

We have made three adjustments to VVE, but I am still showing mid teen LTFT numbers.
    Is there a thread for adjusting the VVE.
    Last edited by JMsquared; 03-03-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: update