Thread: Newbie with OBDII question

Potential Tuner

Newbie with OBDII question

This is probably an exhausted thread somewhere but here goes...I have a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 and am trying to get setup for track days. I pair TrackAddict with a GoPro 4 Silver, iPhone 6 and OBDII. My problem is with the OBD. I've tried 2 different OBD's with sorted results. The first was a WiFi (iCAR) unit which worked but continually looses connection from none to full for spotty results. Then I ordered a Bluetooth (iOBDII) unit which will not get recognized by T.A. at all. Should I just bite the bullet and order the Gopoint or is there something I'm missing to get the Bluetooth to work?

Unfortunately on iOS, Bluetooth OBD device connectivity is not a universal thing like it is for Android. That's due to restrictions that Apple has enacted on the platform, requiring such devices to be MFi certified and so on. At this time, the GoPoint BT1 / BT1A is the only Bluetooth device that we're able to support on iOS. Everything else is WiFi-based, and as you found, the very inexpensive off-brand or Chinese-branded devices can be a bit problematic. I've seen better results with the OBDLink MX WiFi, and the PLX Kiwi WiFi 1 and 2 (but not 3). But note that if you use a WiFi-based OBD device, you would not be able to control a GoPro over WiFi, because your device can only be connected to one WiFi network at a time.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info Weston. Would prefer to go Bluetooth and pair the OBD and GoPro if possible. Although not a huge deal going WiFi OBD since Race Render does a pretty good job of syncing everything up with GoPro footage.

I see we are located pretty close together (I'm in Parker) so thought I'd throw another question at you regarding a tune. Are things figured out in terms of getting a tune on my A8 SRT? I'm hearing sending in, or replacing, the OEM module is the only way with these '15 and newer models. Given our altitude, is this a practical thing to consider? I'm guessing 485 HP isn't even close to reality around here.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry, I just came across this from miata.net as a suggestion.

I found this BT adapter on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/GoPoint-Techno.../dp/B0061XSX0O

Curious if you think it will work. I ask because it seems as though the primary issue you were describing revolves around lack of iOS certification etc but this says it is certified for Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
    Sorry, I just came across this from miata.net as a suggestion.

I found this BT adapter on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/GoPoint-Techno.../dp/B0061XSX0O

Curious if you think it will work. I ask because it seems as though the primary issue you were describing revolves around lack of iOS certification etc but this says it is certified for Apple.
    Yes, the GoPoint BT1 and BT1A models will work with the iOS version of TrackAddict.

Quote Originally Posted by archge View Post
    Thanks for the info Weston. Would prefer to go Bluetooth and pair the OBD and GoPro if possible. Although not a huge deal going WiFi OBD since Race Render does a pretty good job of syncing everything up with GoPro footage.

I see we are located pretty close together (I'm in Parker) so thought I'd throw another question at you regarding a tune. Are things figured out in terms of getting a tune on my A8 SRT? I'm hearing sending in, or replacing, the OEM module is the only way with these '15 and newer models. Given our altitude, is this a practical thing to consider? I'm guessing 485 HP isn't even close to reality around here.
    Yes, the 2015 and newer Dodges require sending in the PCM, due to restrictions they've put in place on those model years. Our engineers will modify it so that it can be flashed, and then send it back to you. I'm actually not sure about the current status of the A8's, as I spend most of my time on the motorsports and mobile apps side of the business, rather being deep into the tuning side. The VCM Suite related sub-forums here should be able to give you better answers on that stuff.