Thread: 6.4 Timing question

6.4 Timing question

I've been wondering out how injection timing displays in the editor on these. Does -10 mean 10 degrees BTDC? That would make sense by looking at the timing maps, however that seems backwards compared to almost every other engine. I'm guessing they aren't retarding with rpm and load.
    Last edited by jr2185; 02-01-2016 at 06:48 PM.

You have 3 different injector events to time, hence the Negative and positive scales.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    You have 3 different injector events to time, hence the Negative and positive scales.
    Yes, but I'm wondering which is positive and which is negative. I believe on most engines positive numbers mean btdc, but it seems like the 6.4 might be reversed.

Tuner in Training
    on the main injection timing a negative number is before tdc on the 6.4 . both pre injections are positive numbers before tdc

Advanced Tuner
    I can not say for sure on the Ford stuff but in everything else a negative timing number is degrees atdc.

Tuner
    This confuses me somewhat too. Perhaps as it evolves, labelling will become clearer

Yeah it's really confusing looking at it in 3D. I noticed that pre and post injections are both positive numbers. I wonder if this is determined by the ecu software or something HP Tuners can label differently.
    Also, does anyone know how it displays in the scanner?

The main soi is backwards from most platforms, it's the same with h&s mcc as well negative is actually btdc. The others are how many degrees before and after the main injection occur for when they start. Little confusing

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post
    The main soi is backwards from most platforms, it's the same with h&s mcc as well negative is actually btdc. The others are how many degrees before and after the main injection occur for when they start. Little confusing
    Thanks for clarification.
    I actually turned main timing graph upside down in program and it made perfect sense then. Well, almost.
    Have some experience with Dmaxes using other tuner (nothing fancy, stock fuel and air, built trannys sometimes), trying to sort things out with friend's 6.4 now.
    Not much info on these, majority of PWS crowd is still on canned solutions.
    '03 Topkick C5500 LB7/A5
    '04 Silv cclb 2500HD LB7/A5
    '10 Ram ccsb 2500 6.7/A6

Tuner in Training
    The 6.4 has a much different rod crank ratio and piston pin location compared to lets say a cummins. On a 6.4 ford the piston is not at top dead center as long as a cummins. a cummins has a long delay that the piston rest at tdc. The ford motor does not. Different stratagy. too much timing on a 6.4l will crack pistons. The 6.4 is more due to its geometry it needs to have negative timing underload. with large injectors and high boost i will run -11 to -20 under load. crazy if you come from tuning many other motors. a cummins will run 28 to 32 degrees on the average turned up tune. totally different. majority of the time most of your tuning on a 6.4 you will be messing with pulse.

Have fun tuning

Tuner
    So piston cracking is nothing to do with injector spray angle and bowl design?

Tuner in Training
    Bowl design is most of the problem when the piston is cut it really prevents the piston from cracking do not get me wrong

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by energetic motorsports View Post
    The 6.4 has a much different rod crank ratio and piston pin location compared to lets say a cummins. On a 6.4 ford the piston is not at top dead center as long as a cummins. a cummins has a long delay that the piston rest at tdc. The ford motor does not. Different stratagy. too much timing on a 6.4l will crack pistons. The 6.4 is more due to its geometry it needs to have negative timing underload. with large injectors and high boost i will run -11 to -20 under load. crazy if you come from tuning many other motors. a cummins will run 28 to 32 degrees on the average turned up tune. totally different. majority of the time most of your tuning on a 6.4 you will be messing with pulse.

Have fun tuning
    Removing dumb question. Thanks for all your feedback on this. its been very helpful.
    Last edited by Bamofo; 04-14-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    2005 Cummins 325/600 G56 3.73
    Reving to 4800
    Worked Head, Twin Disc, BBI