Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 F250 won't read vin

2004 F250 won't read vin

Hi, I took the SCT tuner off of my truck and tried to read my stock file with VCM suite but everytime it tells me it can't find a VIN and asks me to input one. So I type in the VIN to my truck then it ultimately tells me the read has failed. If I read the PCM without putting in the VIN it reads fine, but then I obviously can't license it to be able to tune my truck. Any possible solutions?

The SCT handheld has no issues pulling up my VIN or flashing the PCM. With the SCT tune loads VCM suite does show a VIN (modified vin with SCT in it)

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Awd1990tsi View Post
    Hi, I took the SCT tuner off of my truck and tried to read my stock file with VCM suite but everytime it tells me it can't find a VIN and asks me to input one. So I type in the VIN to my truck then it ultimately tells me the read has failed. If I read the PCM without putting in the VIN it reads fine, but then I obviously can't license it to be able to tune my truck. Any possible solutions?

The SCT handheld has no issues pulling up my VIN or flashing the PCM. With the SCT tune loads VCM suite does show a VIN (modified vin with SCT in it)

thanks in advance
    What software version are you using?

3.0.20 Another thing possibly worth mentioning is when I do type in my VIN it shows up as a 2034 Ford, and with the SCT tune loaded it shows up as a 1981 Ford, probably insignificant but thought I'd note it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Awd1990tsi View Post
    3.0.20 Another thing possibly worth mentioning is when I do type in my VIN it shows up as a 2034 Ford, and with the SCT tune loaded it shows up as a 1981 Ford, probably insignificant but thought I'd note it anyways.
    Please e-mail support.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Had the same problem. It ended up being a locked tune with inaccessible vin. I just reflashed another one and stacked it.

I just got bored and pulled the stock tune off a tuning device. don't ask. But it's apparently stock. I dont know what it is but I think the 04 crossover late year from early year has an issue. The oak 448k is odd slightly.

I'll have to email support.

Mine won't read correctly with or without the tuner. I can read the files. But the vin doesn't show up even with my stock file loaded and the original tuner unmarried. It's strange.

So you can't stack a tune and pull it? Interesting. I'd like to hear updates on this. If you get any that is.

Correct. I can read the file with or without the sct tune loaded. But it doesn't give me a real vin so it won't let me license it. Strange stuff for sure.

The sct should give it a new vin. Can you read the vin with the sct? The truck I tuned literally had no vin on sct or hp. But I flashed it with sct and it has a vin. Are you using 3.0?

Yeah my trucks actual vin shows up on the sct handheld. And with the tune on my truck it shows a modified vin with SCT at the end. But still won't let me license the vin. Yes 3.0.2, I can see all the parameters and all that good stuff, just can't license the truck to do anything with it

That's really odd. I know late 04s are weird but that doesn't seem right. I was able to license a vin that was sctxxxxxxxx from the handheld.

Tuner in Training judeisnotobscure's Avatar
    I had the same issue last year. I took my truck to ford and got a factory update flashed....I still have the same issue.
    The address where hpt looks for the vin is blank space in the file.... 2004 448oak.

I then read out the file with another tool, low and behold there is no vin in the flash portion of the visteon ecVI 448 oak.

I could add the vin if I knew the exact address they are trying to reference.
    Last edited by judeisnotobscure; 02-27-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Ok. After tuning another late 04 6.0l I can verify that techs are lazy because I found another on without a vin. I got it to flash by uploading a different pull off that other late 04 I did.

If you manually enter in a VIN when asked by the software during the read, it will store that VIN for you and you should be able to license the truck. Just follow the software prompts.

The thing is both times it glitched and won't complete the read.

Tuner in Training judeisnotobscure's Avatar
    Finally found the vin address

Senior Tuner
    Haha.
    Jaime

Lmfao. What's the address so In the future I can force a vin.

Tuner in Training
    same problem here
    2003 swb single cab
    lq4 6.0 243 heads mill .30
    comp cam 224/228
    1 7/8 lt headers
    fast 36LB injectors
    4l80e swap 3500 circle d converter