Thread: 6.4 VGT exhaust brake

Tuner

6.4 VGT exhaust brake

Has anyone tried using HP to shut vanes on deceleration to give some exhaust braking effect?

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    I'm not entirely sure how to do it but it would be under turbocharger tab. I would try modifying the EBP limit table under torque management and set low torque positions to 80+ position. That way when you let off the pedal it'll act as an exhaust brake. Now I don't know what this will do to the turbo. It may over spin it. But without fuel it should engine brake in theory. But you'll have to try that and see. I personally haven't tried it yet.

Tuner
    Thanks, I figured that's where I'd start. I'll try it out

Start low and work your way up. Probably around50 and see if that makes a difference. Like I said. I have no idea what it will do. It's exhaust backpressure right side under duty cycle limit table. Go on the low torque side across the top row to start. Let me know how it works out.

Tuner
    I'm thinking that perhaps the max dc might Have to be lifted in the areas I want to use too. I shall experiment

Let me know how it works. And yes change vgt dc limit. But be careful.

Tuner
    I haven't had the chance to do any testing as yet on the ebp tables, rather I'm just doing more thinking at the moment. Does anyone know what activates the different configs in the tune? For instance the ebp tables are split into two configs (egr on and egr off). The reason I ask is that if the configs have something to do with baro pressure, considering the truck I'm going to be working on is constantly located at low alt, I'd like to only modify the high alt table for exhaust brake use. That way I can have a driver demand switch in the cab to trick the baro sensor and enable the high alt table that has my exhaust brake settings in them. That way it can be switched on and off.

You could but it'll cause all sorts of hell with boost. Its under turbocharger tab. under exhaust pressure. You're looking at the wrong tables.

Tuner
    There's two configs for exhaust back pressure under the turbocharger tab. Config 0 and config 1. These are the tables i'm talking about. I want to know when does the ecm select either config? Is it barometric pressure that switches between the two configs? Sorry if my previous post was confusing

Duty cycle limit table under torque management under turbocharger tab.

Tuner
    Sorry I'm not following you

Tuner
    I realise the max dc table is there and what it does, I'm concerned with the ebp tables and their associated configs

Ok now I see what you're talking about. Yeah bump that table up a bit. Just try to make egr inactive.

Tuner
    Never mind. I'll work it out

did you ever make any progress on this?
    2007 Mustang GT
    305ci big bore (5.0L Cammer block)
    Ported heads
    Lunati cams and springs
    Usual compliment of bolt-ons

I did try to get this to work on a 6.4l to no avail. But the 6.0 it worked great

How did you do it on the 6.0L? I just picked up a 6.0 and want to do some playing. The engine brake seems handy for towing, is there any way to tie it to the tow/haul mode?
    2007 Mustang GT
    Ported heads
    Lunati cams and springs

No tow haul mode only stuff. Since you have to build it into the vgt table. You want to bring you commanded boost pressure up at the lower throttle positions on the table top row. It doesn't need to be much.

Alright. I'll take a look at it this weekend. Thanks
    2007 Mustang GT
    Ported heads
    Lunati cams and springs