Thread: Pedal Follower mode

Senior Tuner

Pedal Follower mode

Reading about this it sounds like there are two ways to control the throttle, torque based and pedal follower. pedal follower acts much more like a cable attached to the TB and opens and closes the TB with driver demand. Enabling this should make the throttle do what your foot tells it to and not give the ECU so much control over it. I have been struggling with torque based throttle control and getting it to do what I want it to. Has anyone tried enabling this and if so what did you find as far as pros and cons?

Interesting. I'm curious what others have to say too about this mode. I wonder if it's similar to just reducing WOT Start to 0 though? From WOT start WOT end it's supposed to be linear. I have my start position tuned super low right now (50) to get almost all linear control.

I tried and was never able to make it work on pedal follower mode. Well it worked but ran much worse
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Senior Tuner
    In other tunes i see under torque management there is a ETC torque management section. I do not have that in my tune. The only thing that I have control over is driver demand and pedal follower, which is disabled. If the ECU wants to use ETC for torque management there's nothing I can do to stop it. The trouble with pedal follower is when the throttle is fully closed you need to make sure some form of IAC is working or you will have stalling issues. The other tricky part with it is tip-in. I will be trying to play with it myself as I think for now as new parameters are coming out it could give me more control over my tune.

Curious about it too, glad you are playing with it

Senior Tuner
    Well first impressions are, idle is great and went straight to 650-700from. No cold start high idle. The rev limiter does not close the TB but actually bounce like a older style rev limiter. Tip in was bad as expected. Driving to the end of my drive way the throttle was very jerky but the response felt much quicker. Imrc was always open. Vct used only the higher MPs. I'm sure that could be improved to help with the jerkyness. Any thing to do with demanded torque would need to be addressed. I think it could be setup easily and be great for something like drag racing but daily driver it would take a long time to get the smooth response the stock tune has.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Well first impressions are, idle is great and went straight to 650-700from. No cold start high idle. The rev limiter does not close the TB but actually bounce like a older style rev limiter. Tip in was bad as expected. Driving to the end of my drive way the throttle was very jerky but the response felt much quicker. Imrc was always open. Vct used only the higher MPs. I'm sure that could be improved to help with the jerkyness. Any thing to do with demanded torque would need to be addressed. I think it could be setup easily and be great for something like drag racing but daily driver it would take a long time to get the smooth response the stock tune has.
    Makes me want to try it just for understanding some of the stuff I see when I play with the ghost cam tune. You got kahonas taking it to the rev limit right off the bat : ). I was intrigued by the pedal follower mode but was afraid to try.

I am new to hp tuners and i have a 2014 dodge ram 5.7 and was wondering what exactly does it do?

You have access to nearly every ECU parameter and with that ability to enhance or really mess up the way the engine runs. It is direct access, not a GUI interception that simplifies the input and changes parameters for you. Seems like a lot of the users are experienced tuners or guys that really study this a lot. Hope that?s what you wanted to know

Advanced Tuner
    '14 GT500 tune comes stock with pedal follower enabled.
    I have adjusted it some, can't tell it does anything at all, DD table however does. I set mine to disabled & tune from there.
    I have been playing trying to get mine to idle, & transition to driving for drivibility, one thing I see that nobody talks about is there is an idle mode, then a torque mode that controls the airflow (blade) and getting this transition right takes a lot of tuning for me, at least. It seems that when you depress the throttle, the blade is controlled by torque, but then if you say want to hold rpms at 1500, idle is controlling the blade. There is also idle spark control, when you don't touch the pedal, idle is controlled by the ecu, when you touch the pedal, idle is seeing the base table, or in decel, the decel table.
    So, at times you are controlling the blade by way of torque, and other times the ecu is controlling the blade via idle control, same with spark. I don't know what the ecu uses to decide when it controls the blade & spark, & when you control the blade & spark. Has anyone ran into this? Or noticed this on their OS? maybe it's only these cars that are like this, idk.

Advanced Tuner
    no it doesnt.

On the 13-14 gt500 the wot start and end are maxed so everything comes from the driver demand table.

Advanced Tuner
    The drop down is enabled, on stock 14 GT 500, as I said, it doesn't do anything to change the pedal degrees, but that DDtable does adjust the pedal.
    Not sure why it can't be enabled, but it doesn't look like it can be.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    no it doesnt.

On the 13-14 gt500 the wot start and end are maxed so everything comes from the driver demand table.
    I wonder why they do that. Seems to me at WOT using DD would be a limiter of sorts if the engine makes more power than DD calls for...
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

I tried it on my 2012 Coyote once and it car wouldn't run. Maybe the pedal follower setting is incompatible with some other setting.