Thread: Having issues installing RaceRender on MacBook

Having issues installing RaceRender on MacBook

I am trying to install RaceRender on my MacBook pro and am having issues. It seems to go through the install process properly and I found a folder in Documents called RaceRender 3, but I can't find a program that I can run.. I rebooted and tried reinstalling to the same result. There's nothing added to the apps folder or anything else that I can find via search that I can open.

Am I missing something totally obvious?

I'm running El Capitan 10.11.4
    Last edited by schpenxel; 02-22-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

There has been an intermittent issue with the Mac installer that affect some systems, but it's often resolved by trying the installer again or rebooting.

Failing that, a quick solution is to download RaceRender as a zip archive from here: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/RaceRender332.zip

The included "Read Me" file gives installation instructions, and it's pretty simple for Mac. This approach has resolved the installation problems for everyone else who reported these issues.

I will try that now and report back

I'm loving the software.. I played with it in Windows on VMware a bit earlier. I might even break down and buy the higher end one

Do mods get free software?

I had some trouble getting VCM Scanner V3 export logs to work properly.. I had to go through and change the format a little bit. Is this a known issue since the recent release of V3 or no?
    Last edited by schpenxel; 02-22-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

It is now running in OS X, thanks

I went ahead and purchased the paid version. It's such a neat program.. I'm still getting used to it but it should do exactly what I want it to do!

Glad to hear it! Yes, the CSV output from VCM Scanner recently changed a bit with 3.0. The very next update to RaceRender (v 3.3.4) will work with it directly.

Is that coming relatively soon or will it be a while?

One other question:

Is there any reason I can't record with the camera on my phone while the phone is also starting/stopping a GoPro for video, then I'd use a log from VCM Scanner for data? GoPro hasn't arrived yet so I haven't been able to just try it.

I'm doing a 1/2 mile event in a few weeks so I figured that would be the simplest/cheapest way to get two camera angles and still be able to use Scanner at the same time during runs..

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Is that coming relatively soon or will it be a while?
    Just released it a few minutes ago... http://RaceRender.com/RR3/Download.html

Manual-install .ZIP package: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/RaceRender334.zip

One other question:

Is there any reason I can't record with the camera on my phone while the phone is also starting/stopping a GoPro for video, then I'd use a log from VCM Scanner for data? GoPro hasn't arrived yet so I haven't been able to just try it.

I'm doing a 1/2 mile event in a few weeks so I figured that would be the simplest/cheapest way to get two camera angles and still be able to use Scanner at the same time during runs..
    You could use TrackAddict to do this... It's able to record video from the phone and with a GoPro (controlled via WiFi) at the same time, and they'll be pretty closely synchronized to each other (it sometimes warrants some fine-tuning in RaceRender, but that will get you close to start with).

Good deal. I bought that one already too I made a quick video last night and it really came out neat just using an ELM327 interface + my phone. I had to go in and manually create a "boost" column from the MAP sensor data and then put that in a chart but once I figured out how everything worked it worked well.

Thanks, I'll download the latest.. that will make it easier to use logs straight out of VCM Scanner

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Do you have a .zip link for the latest 3.35a version? I tried using the installer again but it didn't work, same problem as before

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Do you have a .zip link for the latest 3.35a version? I tried using the installer again but it didn't work, same problem as before
    Yes, the updated ZIP is here: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/RaceRender335a.zip

Thanks