Thread: 408 120lb injectors Idle in Gear goes stupid lean

Tuner in Training

408 120lb injectors Idle in Gear goes stupid lean

Okay, there are a lot of tables in here I have touched trying to figure this out. When I put the truck in gear, it almost immediately goes lean and starts running like a miss. Any help would be appreciated.

-408 with very mild cam and L92 heads
    -Edelbrock Carb style intake for FI, mid rise elbow stock Throttle body
    -SD no Maf 80 mm Turbo
    -Factory E Fans with Custom built harness
    -4l80E with 3000 stall
    -120lb FIC High Impedance injectors
    -manifold Referenced Fuel Regulator
    -New O2 sensors
    Checked all the basics. I want to rule out something in the tune.
    Last edited by ssmotors; 02-27-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    In the Log file, the changes where the map changes and goes lean is where I put it in gear. As soon as I put it in neutral, it clears back up. What am I missing??

Tuner in Training
    Okay, so trouble shot a little more tonight and found that #2 fuel injector shuts off in Reverse, drive, 3 and 2. 1, Neutral and park it fires. Also, right with 2% throttle it starts firing again. Could the 3.0 software segment swap cause this? I'm trying to narrow this down. Thanks for any input.

Tuner in Training
    So this is what I have done to troubleshoot.
    1. Unplugged Round Trans plug and truck idles fine in and out of gear.
    2. Replaced ECU with new ECU and reflashed with same tune. Same results
    3. Reloaded tune prior to doing Segment Swap, truck idles fine in and out of gear.
    4. Tried several different Files for Segment Swap. Same results.
    5. Verified that wiring is correct at Trans and PCM per LT1Swap instructions.

This is an early 4L80E, is that an issue? Anyone have time to discuss, I appreciate it. I just can't understand what is killing that injector circuit.

Senior Tuner
    Sounds more like a wiring issue.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for replying. I have checked continuity on all circuits. This is a brand new harness from BP Automotive wiring. It was built for the 80E. I verified all of that as well. Trans shifts fine when running. Another tidbit is that as soon as I barely touch the throttle while its missing in gear, it clears up. I guess I'm going to have to go back to a turbo 350 until I can get this strait. Is there anyway this could have something to do with the Case Ground O2 System? I see the Case Ground O'2 does has a different pinout for some grounds. This is actually a 99 model truck. Just throwing that out there.
    Last edited by ssmotors; 02-26-2016 at 06:17 AM.

Tuner in Training
    The first thing I jumped to was wiring. If I understood the circuitry of the ECU and the whole Segment swap, I could better troubleshoot. I just don't understand how it all works inside. I am just curious if there is a possibility something could be awry in the 99 ECU FILE that makes this problem present itself. And if it is wiring, what would cause only #2 injector to stop firing when it goes into gear but yet allow it operate just fine any other time except zero throttle?
    BILL? Anyone?

Tuner in Training
    Hey if anyone reads this, just say "Hi" so I can see my 'Replies' go up. Not getting much support trying to understand my issue.

Senior Tuner
    You have a pm.

Tuner in Training
    Segment swap did not work on my operating system of 99 model truck. Finally fixed it.

cool - so did you have to use an operating system that already had 4l80 for trans? 3/4 ton truck 6.0/4l80 file?