Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hp Tuners for Mac & Ipads

Potential Tuner

Hp Tuners for Mac & Ipads

Will there ever be support for using hp tuners on a mac or ipads? Being able to utilize vcm editor and vcm scanner on an ipad seems like a great idea especially since they are more compact than a laptop.

Advanced Tuner
    Even if we can just get it for MAC OS X, it would be great. Owning a crappy windows laptop just to tune is getting old, I hate windows.
    2011 Camaro SS
    Thompson Motorsports Dart 427
    ESS Tuning G4 Supercharger 1158whp/1017wtq
    DSX Tuning stuff

We are committed to Microsoft Windows and Android.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    I run HP Tuners on my MacBook Pro, I have Windows 7 Starter installed using Parallel Desktops. Works pretty good but would appreciate a Mac OSx specific version.

Tuner in Training
    It is just way too complicated to implement both Windows and MAC versions. While I would like having a MAC version to run on my 2 MacBook Pros, I run one in Paralells virtual and the other in BootCamp. Either way works fine.

That being said, I have a couple Windows laptops that i use almost exclusively for tuning. HP, EFI, heck even my software to tune my Hayabusa race bike. It is just too complicated to implement dual compatibility.

Advanced Tuner
    For $200 (or less), you can get a touchscreen Asus T100 tablet/keyboard dock combo. It runs Windows 10 and it's a great device to use for tuning/datalogging because of it's size and battery life. It even has a touchpad on the keyboard dock (as well as a fullsize USB port).

I have one and use it exclusively for tuning. For the price, it's hard to beat... Perfect for tuning and datalogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    We are committed to Microsoft Windows and Android.
    when will HP tuners be released for Android tablets?

Just install bootcamp on a separate partition and install Windows XP or 7 and be done. I myself prefer Macbooks over any PC I've used to date just for the build quality and reliability. It is a shame HP decided to ONLY use Microsoft and Android for their platforms being OSX is way more stable and less hardware stringent.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I run it in VMware without any issues. It's simple enough to swipe between OS X and Windows with VMware or Parallels. I know a few other people that do the same without issue
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I've been a part of a huge Mac family literally since the company first started. My sister worked at corporate in Cupertino for 26 years even! I've had more Mac computers than I can count.

Well guess what? I gave up. These last two OS versions have turned the Mac OS into Windows 95 dependability. I've never seen so many software issues as I have with the Apple stuff since Steve died. I even have to route all my .mac email through my comcast address because Apple can't seem to block spam emails as well as comcast. Straight from .mac and I get a pile of spam emails. Route the same emails through a comcast email address and the spam doesn't get to us. WTF Apple?

The other reason I finally gave up is the hardware that is available for Windows computers now. I'm typing this on a Dell (YIKES!!!) XPS15. Go to a store that sells both the XPS15 and the Macbook Pro 15. Compare the build quality, the Dell is built better. And it has a touch screen. And it has better specs. And the screen is full 4K.
    I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to put in the dash of my car. It's freakin amazing! My son was so impressed with it he sold his Macbook Pro Retina 15 and his Retina iPad and replaced them both with one Surface Pro 4. Again, there isn't an iPad, even the Pro, that compares to the Surface Pro 4. And it's a full Windows computer so it can run anything, unlike an iPad.

Didn't mean to turn this into a Mac vs. PC thread, just thought I'd pass along my recent Mac and PC experiences. If you told me 5 years ago I'd own a Dell laptop I would have slapped you! I've had every version of Apple laptops since they were black, came with a 1GB hard drive and cost like $4k a piece. I'm not sure I'll ever go back.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

I haven't really had any problems with any of my Apple stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if quality hasn't gone down some since Steve died though. It's hard for a company that big to walk the line between saving money and "cheapening" things up too much.. someone like him wouldn't have gave a damn if it was cheaper if it made the product lower quality. Not saying Tim would.. but he isn't Steve.

I've been eyeing the new Surface's lately. MS has really brought them a long way.. I actually had the very first one as a tester at work. It was the one that wasn't an x86/x64 based processor so it could only run programs specifically compiled for it, which very much limited it's usefulness. We were planning on buying 10-12 at work but MS kept pushing out the date of the release for the first "real" one, so we eventually gave up and got iPad's. Admittedly they were super cool at first but at this point everyone pretty much just takes notes, does a little bit of email and plays on the web with them. Nothing all that spectacular for work related tasks.

It would be hard not to consider a Surface if you're in the market now..

I usually buy MBP's that are a year or two old that still have Applecare, that way I get to not take as much of a hit on the depreciation of a new one and still get plenty of computer (for me anyways) and a warranty. Then I sell them a few months before the warranty is up. So far it's worked out pretty well. Maybe I can do the same with a year old Surface in a year...
    Last edited by schpenxel; 02-28-2016 at 07:50 PM.

All my Macbooks are 4-5yrs old.

I don't care for the new Macbooks due to the board mounted memory and SSD. Which means no upgradability. I see a computer like a car. I like to tweak, adjust and modify the system how I see fit so I'm typing this on the last MacBook 17" model they sold which I have maxed the memory out on and swapped to a Samsung 850 Evo SSD along with a secondary storage drive. My only gripe about the whole computer is the damn trackpad is too large and when I type on the keyboard my palms will touch the touchpad and move the cursor to a different place and F up my paragraphs. A little button to disable the trackpad would be tits. And no right-click/left-click buttons for rotating and zooming on 3d graphs in HPT.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I always have liked those last generation 17" MBP's... I wish they had kept that size. I had one for a short while but it was a bit much when I was traveling a lot.

I know what you mean about the lack of upgradeability though.. that's my biggest complaint. The even worse part for me is if ANYTHING goes wrong it's pretty much game over. One bad piece of memory and you're replacing a $800+ logic board, processor, everything.. I used to not buy Applecare but this last one I went ahead and got one with it. They're just too expensive to fix if something goes wrong.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Yeah I'm actually looking for a middle 2013-14 I guess it was for the last model "thick" MacBook Pro 13" retina display model to use as a tuning laptop. I'm actually using a little flimsy Sony 13" right now and it's about to fall apart lol.
    ShorTuning

I know what you mean there. I've got an old Lenovo I keep around as a backup and it the plastic is cracked all over the place from some combination of age and bad design. Still works though..

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    I've been running on a macbook pro and virtual box for years. worked great until 3.0. Now I can no longer scan. I'm searching for alternate solutions.

V3 works fine on VMware and parallels

Tuner
    I only have Mac and been using a maxed out MacBook Air for a few years and its by far my favorite laptop. I have had atleast 15 tuning laptops and this MacBook Air smokes all the ones I had previously. I do all my mail order tuning on mac minis running dual monitors. I run parallels with a very modified version of xp and also run windows 10 with no issues with any tuning software.

Tuner
    Quick question, in order to run Windows on a MacBook Pro, do you have to purchase Windows software and save it to a flash drive?

Basically, yes

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock