Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Setting up MAF Fuel Trim Graph in VCM Scanner V3

HOW TO: Setting up MAF Fuel Trim Graph in VCM Scanner V3

This is meant to serve as a basic how-to for setting up a MAF fuel trim Graph (or graphs) in VCM Scanner V3. This will work on vehicles with one or two MAF tables.

-------------------------------------------------------

Adding MAF Fuel Trim Graph:

Step 1: Go to your "Graph" tab, right click and select "Graphs Layout". If you do not have a Graphs tab then go to Layout-->Add to layout-->Graph to add one to your layout

Step 2: In the Graph Layout Editor, select the icon with the green + mark on it and then click on "Add Table"

Step 3: In your newly created graph, click on "click to insert or change" next to "Parameter" at the top. This is where you define what you want to show IN the graph. In this case we are using fuel trim values. You can change this to your wideband or EQ (lambda) Error just as easily.

Step 4: A window will open called the "Parameter selector". You can browse through the list or type into the search bar to narrow things down. I know what I want is called LTFT+STFT so I typed in LTFT. Hitting the Gear icon w/green check mark will get rid of all parameters that you aren't logging and thus can't use. So, type in LTFT, hit the gear icon, then double click on LTFT + STFT

Step 5: This is what you should have at this point..

Step 6: Now we need to define what the graph column and/or rows will be based on. MAF tables only have a COLUMN axis, not a row axis. Click on "Parameter" in the "Column Axis" section. In the window that pops up, you can browse through or search for Mass air flow FREQUENCY. This HAS to be frequency since that is what we want the column to be based on. I searched for "Mass air", hit the gear w/green check mark, and found the parameter that has the unit of frequency. Double click on it once you find it.

Step 7: After you double click you will probably get a message about using a generic sensor instead of a specific one. I recommend saying yes to this. It will make your layouts much more universal, so that if you're later logging a vehicle where the MAF Frequency is a different parameter number, it will still work properly without having to make changes.

Step 8: Alright, check and make sure the parameter (circled in red) shows Mass airflow (FREQUNECY!!). Our next step is to tell it what the headers need to be (yellow). We want this to match up with our tune.. so....

Step 9: Open up your TUNE and open the MAF low table (or just MAF if you only have one). Right click, select Column Axis, and then select "Copy Labels"

Step 10: Go back to Scanner and paste those values into the "values" section for the Column Axis, as shown

Step 11: This is what you should end up with. The numbers may be different depending on your tune, but the point is you should have a Parameter called Mass air flow Frequency, a unit of "Hertz" and Values that match your tune, typically going from around 1000 to around 5800 in increments of 150

Step 12: Lastly, I usually go through and add some colors to make it more visual. I use a high value of 10, mid of 0 and low of -10. I change the high value to red and low value to a blue'ish color. I changed the cell hits requied to 5 as well. I would keep this value low in the beginning just to make sure everything is working first..

Now you're probably thinking.. but I've got TWO MAF tables, how am I supposed to tune two tables with one graph? Here is an easy way to make another graph for the high MAF table

Step 13: First, relabel the first graph to add "LOW" to the name just to keep the separated

Step 14: Scanner V3 includes a "Clone" feature where you can easily make a copy of a graph (or chart for that matter). It looks like an equal sign in the top tool bar. Click on it.

Step 15: Notice you now have two graphs.. relabel one of them to HIGH and leave the other one low.

Step 16: Now you need to change the values for the column axis to match the MAF HIGH table.

Step 17: Open your tune back up.. go to the HIGH MAF table, right click, column axis, copy labels.

Step 18: Back in Scanner.. delete the numbers in the "Values" box and then paste in your new ones that you just copied from your tune

Step 19: And this is what you should have. Mine goes from 5800 to 12200

Step 20: You're done. You now have a graph for using fuel trims to make corrections to your MAF tables. Keep in mind that fuel trims are ONLY USEFUL when you are NOT in power enrichment mode. A wideband is required once in PE mode.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Very Cool and Helpful. Thank you.

How do you delete an axis parameter without having to start all over with a new graph. Say you accidentally add one or you're modifying an existing graph to re-save it as something else. delete axis.JPG
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

There isn't a way to clear it out that I know of. You can replace it, but not clear it out totally

I noticed the same thing. When you right click on a graph you want to edit and select graphs layout, it defaults to the graph on the top of the list. If you arent paying attention and start making changes on the wrong one.....bleh...just...bleh....

Yeah, I do wish some "clear" buttons were added.. I mean, it's usually not too bad to just delete and start over, but still.

Hopefully support has read this and adds it to their "list of things to fix"
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Tuner in Training
    so i have followed this exactly step by step and it will only log the average fuel trim in the 0 column. all the other columns stay blank

You're either not logging mass airflow frequency or you're using the wrong parameter for the column axis parameter more than likely. Post log & layout and I'll check it out real quick

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    i didnt save that log bc i couldnt get it to read but i will redo it afterwhile and post it. i really appreciate the help.

They save automatically now actually

Go to My Documents, HP Tuners, VCM Scanner, Logs.. and every log you've taken with V3 will be in there whether you saved it or not

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    here ya go
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yep, you aren't logging mass air flow [frequency].

Add it to the channels you're logging and I bet it works. If it still doesn't work, post another log and I'll check it out

Tuner in Training
    I'm having the same problem. Followed the How To tutorial three times. Not sure what to do at this point.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by torq455; 05-04-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Same problem more than likely. Have you tried the fix I suggested one post earlier?

You have to have mass air flow frequency in the channel list or it can't be used. If it's not in the channel list then it isn't being logged.. if it isn't being logged then you can't use it anywhere.

I didn't put that as a step, maybe I should have..

Right click in channel list, select add channel
    1.png

search for mass air flow FREQUENCY. Double click
    2.png

And now it's added to the list of channels.
    3.png

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Ohhhh, that makes sense! I remember something about that in the 2.23 version. I just tried it out, and it works great! THANK YOU!!!!

Good stuff

I think I owe you guys a few more. I've been slacking lately.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Top Notch post. Figuring out the new stuff and this was a HUGE help.

Advanced Tuner
    What's the Function/Formula to use with the WB so I can account for the voltage offset?