Thread: V 3.0 is AMAZING on touch screen laptops or tablets!

Advanced Tuner

V 3.0 is AMAZING on touch screen laptops or tablets!

I just wanted to mention it since I'm not sure how many guys have realized it yet. There are a bunch of REALLY cool things you can do in V 3.0 if you have a touch screen that you couldn't do in the previous versions. One of them is two fingered zooming in the scanner, it's amazing! Also being able to select spots in the log by touching the chart display is also very useful.

On smaller screens there's also another little feature I really like, it's being able to make the font on the chart values super small so the column that show the values on the right side of the chart display is basically gone. Go to the Display Settings and make the font for the "Scale" 1. That's as small as you can make it, it actually ends up at 1.5 for the size. What that does is it makes the values in the scale on the right side of the chart display basically little dots. I don't really look at those numbers so it's nice for me to have the chart display as wide as possible with the info I really want to see. In previous versions that font size was tied to the other values in the chart display so you couldn't change it independently. On my 10" in-dash monitor having those scale values take up a lot of the screen ended up making the actual scanner display very narrow.

There's a bunch of other really cool little tricks I've noticed, those are the only ones I can think of right now! So for anyone that hasn't tried tuning with a touch screen laptop or tablet, TRY IT! There's so many little things that make life easier when scanning especially.

edit... I just had another thought I figured I'd pass along...
    I know most of you guys are tuning with laptops, but there's a new trend in desktop monitors that is F'ING AWESOME for HPT scanning!!! 21:9 monitors. My son has a 34" LG 21:9 monitor and I have a 29" LG 21:9 monitor in my shop. HOLY CR@P you have to see what an HPT log looks like on a monitor that's 34" wide! The super wide but not super high monitor aspect ratio is perfect for things like looking at scanner logs. I picked my LG 29" monitor up for $250. Not bad for the quality of the screen and the size. On the 29" you can have a FULL page of the HPT editor open, and a FULL page of the HPT scanner open next to it. On the 34", you can have 4 full pages displayed at once! Looking at everything in the scanner AND in the editor without even clicking between applications is pretty cool!

Just thought I'd pass that along.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 02-25-2016 at 12:53 PM.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Advanced Tuner
    Very cool info! I have an Asus T100 tablet/keyboard dock combo that I use almost strictly for tuning an log reading and never would have even thought to try 2-finger zooming in the Chart vs. Time area!

I'm still using 2.24 for everything, but playing around with 3.0 to read some logs, etc - just to get more used to it before actually switching over to it full-time. Stuff like this will help me want to convert to 3.0 sooner rather than later though.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Advanced Tuner
    Try this one...

Select a section of the log in the scrubber bar window down at the bottom of the screen. Again, you can select a section in the scrubber bar with two fingers. Selecting a large or small "slider" will change the zoom of the log shown, and that's done by widening or narrowing your two fingers. Now take one finger and slide the scrubber side to side. Cool huh?! lol.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Advanced Tuner
    Very cool! I think that I would be very comfortable undocking my T100 and reviewing log files in tablet mode while laying on the couch now!! Might actually be easier to review logs by finger than it is to review logs with the keyboard/mouse!

I'm here for the 21:9 monitor
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock