Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ngk Afx wideband?

I'm surprised wideband's from the same manufacturer are so different in response time. I'm running the PLX one now.. looks like AEM will be the next one I buy.. especially if you're able to get the firmware update going to make it work like 30-0300

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bmotorsports View Post
    The NTK AFRM GEN1 & GEN2 showed similar performance on the analog output speed. There is a 100ms pause between value changes on the analog output which is not ideal. I had hoped that NTK would address this in the GEN2 but I see it is the same. That said, the ZFAS-U2 sensor has a very small tip which may have affected testing. I still like this unit for a host of other reasons but it is clearly not in the ballpark of the AFR500v2 or AEM X-Series for transient response times.

Was that on normal refresh rate and not the high?
    I wonder if moving the refresh rate in the controller to high would of changed how fast it switched from one are to the other or just showed more jumps?

btw I am https://www.facebook.com/BallengerMo...2%3A%22R%22%7D

Quote Originally Posted by techsalvager View Post
    Was that on normal refresh rate and not the high?
    I wonder if moving the refresh rate in the controller to high would of changed how fast it switched from one are to the other or just showed more jumps?

btw I am https://www.facebook.com/BallengerMo...2%3A%22R%22%7D
    Hey Justin, it was on normal refresh. I completely forgot about this setting. There is also a high speed rate at 50ms stepping and a low speed rate at 200ms stepping. I expect the 50ms rate looks similar but with 50ms intervals instead of 100ms per the testing I showed. Based on this, I would recommend all NTK AFRM users who are working with the analog output utilize the high speed rate. The high speed rate is not the default, so it must be set in the control unit.

Is there any way to connect the AFR500v2 to a round gauge to put in my a-pillar pod?
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Collectors Edition 6spd T-Top

MS4 cam | AFR 205 heads, BTR .660, Ferrea valves, Morel lifter | Hooker 1 3/4" headers + ORY | Magnaflow catback | FAST 36# injectors | LS6 intake | Eaton 3.73 diff | Bilstein/Eibach suspension | BMR SFCs, LCAs | Wilwood brakes | 17x9 & 17x11 wheels

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    Good news and nice improvements. I have both the original AFX and AFR500 and will probably end up with a v2 at some point. One question regarding the NTK sensor (which I use) versus the Bosch 4.9 - I read a claim recently that the 4.9 is more accurate in real world conditions due to the comparatively low tolerances on the NTK sensor in terms of temperature and pressure. Any truth or comment on that? Keep up the good work.
    More info for you/everyone regarding 4.2 and 4.9 LSU oxygen sensors.
    http://www.ecotrons.com/technology/b...su_42_sensors/
    In short, 4.9 LSU 02s are miles better than outdated 4.2's.
    Last edited by Mr. Smith; 11-02-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Banned
    Any Innovate LC-2 3877 info/comparisons????

Quote Originally Posted by FlorianGee View Post
    Is there any way to connect the AFR500v2 to a round gauge to put in my a-pillar pod?
    Yup!

We list the options on the AFR500v2 product page here (at the bottom of the page).

Here is the direct Speedhut Analog circular gauge

Here is the direct Speedhut Digital circular gauge

Dakota Digital has some options. It can be displayed on some other systems that bring in analogs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Any Innovate LC-2 3877 info/comparisons????
    Nothing specific as yet. The Innovate hardware is inexpensive and popular. I, and most pro tuners I know wouldn't use one for our own work fwiw. YMMV
    Last edited by bmotorsports; 11-02-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Banned
    Nothing specific as yet. The Innovate hardware is inexpensive and popular. I, and most pro tuners I know wouldn't use one for our own work fwiw. YMMV
    (With all due respect..) That's exactly why it would be good if you can test it and show us the results.
    But I understand.. it's not like it's your job to come here and show us these results/comparisons/pics and to test wideband controllers for us here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    (With all due respect..) That's exactly why it would be good if you can test it and show us the results.
    But I understand.. it's not like it's your job to come here and show us these results/comparisons/pics and to test wideband controllers for us here...
    We choose to focus our time, effort, and engineering talents on providing our customers with the highest quality wideband system possible in our market segment. Accurate, presentable blind testing every new product on the market is expensive, time consuming, and can very quickly take engineering time away from product development, support, etc. I'm not excluding such a test, it just isn't on the agenda currently. There are many factors that do not show up in simple sweep or response tests as well that distinguish the LC-2 from the AFR500v2 and other more expensive high quality systems from the likes of ECM, Horiba, ETAS, etc. If you choose to only look at response and cost, you will likely be happier with twelve LC-2 units than an single AFM1000. We are a small development, engineering, manufacturing, & wholesale company designing & manufacturing high quality products here in the USA for what that is worth to some.

My head hurts!!!! Stuck in a WB Data Hangover...!
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

We choose to focus our time, effort, and engineering talents on providing our customers with the highest quality wideband system possible in our market segment. Accurate, presentable blind testing every new product on the market is expensive, time consuming, and can very quickly take engineering time away from product development, support, etc. I'm not excluding such a test, it just isn't on the agenda currently. There are many factors that do not show up in simple sweep or response tests as well that distinguish the LC-2 from the AFR500v2 and other more expensive high quality systems from the likes of ECM, Horiba, ETAS, etc. If you choose to only look at response and cost, you will likely be happier with twelve LC-2 units than an single AFM1000. We are a small development, engineering, manufacturing, & wholesale company designing & manufacturing high quality products here in the USA for what that is worth to some.
    Look forward to your CAN enabled units I've heard rumor about!!
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Can anyone comment on the differences between and options available for each of the following?

AFX
    AFM1600L
    AFR500v1
    AFR500v2

I have a NGK AFX that was converted by ECM to AFM1600L. I believe it has a Bosch 4.2 sensor (original sensor from when I bought it as a NGK AFX). Is the AFR500v2 identical to a ECM1600L?
    Last edited by griffincox; 10-20-2019 at 01:14 PM.