Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF Min injector pulse

Advanced Tuner

WTF Min injector pulse

What is the point of having this ?? i have been chasing my tail for about a week trying to find out why my car run rich on decel. I finaly discovered it was cause the min injector pulse was to high (stock settings and stock injectors). IF the car is requesting a certain pulse width for the fueling it needs why do you have to add to it (and make the car go rich) to make it above the min value
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Advanced Tuner
    could also be for DFCO maybe i am not really sure just an idea
    2008 Denali XL AWD LSA Blower
    2010 CTS-V
    2005 LLY Duramax SAS
    2015 Denali

Advanced Tuner
    Would the injectors not respond to a pulse less than a certain width? It takes time for a valve to open and close, if the pulse wasn't long enough, the valve may not have time to respond. That parameter may be so the ECU does not try to send a pulse that is quicker than what the injector can respond to...
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Shifted
    Would the injectors not respond to a pulse less than a certain width? It takes time for a valve to open and close, if the pulse wasn't long enough, the valve may not have time to respond. That parameter may be so the ECU does not try to send a pulse that is quicker than what the injector can respond to...
    Exactly.
    Every injector has a minimum pulse width. Pintel style has the slowest rate as they have more mass to move.

If you have the latest style injectors the minimum pulse width is much lower on them giving the injector more "bandwidth".

Below the minimum pulse width the injector is unstable in it's fuel delivery as well.
    Always Support Our Troops!

EC is correct, GM have all the min pulse width stuff to compensate for the large non-linearity at very small pulse widths.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    But isn't that the offset value table's job, not the Min PW?
    Seems like min doesn't compensate anything, it's just a
    clip limit?

the offset compensates the opening delay and the volume of air trapped in the injector nozzle (the time from when you ask the injector to fire to when it actually starts squirting fuel). The short pulse and adder tables compensates the fuel delivery for a given pulse width (in an attempt to keep it linear). You are correct that the min pulse width is a clip, basically it is saying that below this number cannot be compensated so don't go below it.

when you change to very large injectors usually you need to lower the min pulse width to maintain stoich idle but your huge injectors are horribly non-linear at such small pulses. Who knows what the right numbers are...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    ok thats makes sense. Would you recomend changing the factory setting for min pulse width lower if need be or is that factory limit the lowest you should go to have consistent fueling.

Im in the process of tuning my Ve table in open loop and im running really rich on decel cause of this. I do plan on turning DFCO back on once im happy with everything so its not a biggie but if possible i would like to lean it out a little so my ve will be spot on
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

I have also put in larger injectors (42#). I am tuning VE right now and have noticed that I am running at -15 or so in decel. Seem like I keep raising the Ve in those spots without awhole lot of sucess! Should have said lowering not raising.
    Last edited by Dragman; 05-18-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman
    I have also put in larger injectors (42#). I am tuning VE right now and have noticed that I am running at -15 or so in decel. Seem like I keep raising the Ve in those spots without awhole lot of sucess!
    You've got to reduce the min. inj. pulse. I'm running 42# Delcos in my C5 and that's what I had to do. I took 15% out from stock setting and now it controls like is should on decel and idle.

Advanced Tuner
    ive noticed this also. mine is set to 1.277. Im running SVO 42# injectors. Would I multiply by 1.15 or .85 for 15%? How do you know or find what your Inj. Min. PW should be?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    ive noticed this also. mine is set to 1.277. Im running SVO 42# injectors. Would I multiply by 1.15 or .85 for 15%? How do you know or find what your Inj. Min. PW should be?
    To get 15% reduction you multiply by .85. I would start at 5 or 10% though, and see how she responds.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks.

i have 42#ers and the min pulse width didnt do jack, it doesnt effect idle on mine just decel
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by ws6firebirdta00
    i have 42#ers and the min pulse width didnt do jack, it doesnt effect idle on mine just decel
    I'm guessing that you are well above Minimum PW at idle. Decel is where you will see the most benefit.

If you wish, here's a couple Histos I have for PW vs VE and Duty cycle vs VE.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

yeah i set the min pulse width to 0.8xx and decel did not change. The car still goes to about a 13.0:1 on decel. The pulse width goes no lower than a 1.8 mostly, although I have seen a few 1.7's
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6firebirdta00
    yeah i set the min pulse width to 0.8xx and decel did not change. The car still goes to about a 13.0:1 on decel. The pulse width goes no lower than a 1.8 mostly, although I have seen a few 1.7's
    Im having extactly the same problem with the same min pulse of 1.8ms. I have my ve table into the teens and set min pulse width to 0.5ms and am still getting afr 13.xx decel. Ive turned on DFCO now until i can figure it out. Whats puzzling me is that i have stock injectors and stock injector tables so this shouldnt be happening. Im gonna put back in my stock tune tomorrow and see if i still have the problem

yeah its quite strange, i messed with the offset tables as well, that helped out some but not fully

I set min injector pluse to 1.2ms, default injector size at .8ms across the board. Still on decel I get betwen 11 AFR and 12.5 AFR. i have DFCO disabled at mo, my VE table is getting lower and still cant get a normal AFR on decel. I would like to see an answer to this too. I got 42lbr/hr@43psi injectors.

My OS is a 1BAR SD. It almost seems like its using another table when 20kpa or below, but i cant see it anywhere.

Tuner
    What kind of injectors are you running, pintle or disk?