Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help stuck along road

Advanced Tuner
    Im trying to do a relearn on the secutity system. I don't hear the fuel pump prime and I am getting a Error on the cluster where the odometer would be.

fuel pump doesn't prime because the pcm is corrupt. You have to recover it with a write entire, because you wrote entire and failed during your recover efforts. As a result, you may have bricked the pcm.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    So I reconnected the PCM, then re connected the battery and left on trickle charge. I followed GM's procedure for the security system relearn. Car still would only crank over but not start. I pulled the radio fuse and tried to connect the scanner. I attached the screen shot. Its not seeing the PCM. I tried to read the PCM via Editor and got a "detect protocol failed" message. I tried to flash a tune via "Write Entire" high and low speed and got the message "Controller unlocker/ Time out". I also tried this with by flashing "write calibration only" and got the same message. I then tried all the above with the radio fuse in... and had the same results. So last I tried to connect my handheld scanner tool and it would not connect to the car. It is saying class II data link malfunction. I am guessing I bricked the pcm unless you might have any other suggestions to ideas. If I have to replace, can I just get a junk yard pcm of similar year, engine, trans and features like power locks and windows? I know the vin will be off but is it plug and play? I would then have to buy a new license Id assume?

Advanced Tuner
    I saved the screen shots to word and I will be danged if I can get them to upload. Its been uphill all day.

Advanced Tuner
    See if this shows up
    Attached Files Attached Files

How did you get on popeye??

Potential Tuner
    I had this exact same thing happen tonight. I made a quick load and it completed 100% and now the truck wont start. I get the same exact error, Controller unlocker - Timeout. I was using write calibration just like I have done the last 30 times in the last week. Was there ever any resolution to this?

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Unless you preformed a scan, then tried to "Write Entire" without first clicking disconnect or closing the scanner, then pulled your radio fuse immediately after clicking "Flash", you may not have done the exact same thing and may need to start a new thread with more detail to get the best resolution or maybe even ultimately contact support.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 05-03-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Potential Tuner
    You're right, I did not do the exact same thing. But I did end up with the same error. I was attempting to get the OP to post if he found any solution. I am working with support to try and figure out what happened. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Add another one to this list here as well. Looks like I'm getting the same error. Minor VE changes to a 411, and all of sudden I go to write calibration and get the Unlocker Timed Out error. Looking to see if OP figured it out, or if this is starting to look like a bug in the 3.0 versions. I did not attempt a write full, no fuses were pulled etc. Performing the same VE updates i've done hundreds of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    Unless you preformed a scan, then tried to "Write Entire" without first clicking disconnect or closing the scanner, then pulled your radio fuse immediately after clicking "Flash", you may not have done the exact same thing and may need to start a new thread with more detail to get the best resolution or maybe even ultimately contact support.
    ++ to you sir!

Unhappy

You can add another to the list. Was trying to write to my 06 Silverado... Last week 8/8/16 had no problem... Then on 8/11/16 "Wham".. Tuner time out left me on side of road. Had it towed...ECM replaced with reman... and on 8/12.... "Wham"...AGAIN...!!!
    Tried everything up above (except pulling stereo fuse)... No avail.... Now I am waiting for another REMAN ECM....!!! This has to be an HP Tuner Software issue... Seems to be all too common an occurrence..
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 08-13-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Update... Removed Radio fuse... Tried to write again in High Speed Mode.... WORKED!!!!!! Truck started right up....YoooHoooo!!!! Now just have to cancel New ECM order....!!!
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 08-13-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Nice!

Yeah... It must have something to do with after market stereos that use a separate interface to keep the stock steering wheel stereo controls and chime alarms like door open, key in ignition, etc.... It might somehow be interfering with the data transfer. Don't know if this an exclusive problem to GM or if it is an across the board thing for Ford and Dodge as well. Doubt HPT will be able to rectify the problem through software programming an debugging, considering the sheer amount of after market stereo and vehicle combinations out there.. Best bet is just to pull the fuse before doing any data updates.. When HPT tells you there is a STEEP learning curve...They aren't kidding....

Advanced Tuner
    Just to add a tiny bit to this, I also have an aftermarket stereo head in my TA, plus one of those adapters so that it all works with the wheel controls etc., but I have never had a issue. So presumably it varies by stereo/os/year blah... HPT wouldn't be working THAT one out in a hurry...!

-D
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

It does seem like there is a correlation between the two. Like you said D.. Probably a combination of factors, including interface specs, OS, make, model and year...Etc... Some have issues, others don't...

It's strictly related to the radio.

Some aftermarket radios do not obey commands to stop communications when they're supposed to. There is no fix other than to buy a radio that shuts up when it's told to do so, lol, or, just pull it's fuse during programming.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    It's strictly related to the radio.

Some aftermarket radios do not obey commands to stop communications when they're supposed to. There is no fix other than to buy a radio that shuts up when it's told to do so, lol, or, just pull it's fuse during programming.

I have learned to always bring a suitable wrench with me to remove neg battery cable for this very reason. Hit or miss, but in my experience, it seems limited to vehicles in the 2004-2011 range

So then, I'm curious... If the problem is the stereo, and the unit has a detachable face, would removing the face have the same effect as pulling the fuse?