Thread: New to HP, Few questions

Tuner in Training

New to HP, Few questions

I just received my Pro Suite last Friday, I bought it from my tuner so I had to wait for the application key yesterday. So I started playing with things yesterday and have a few stupid questions moving forward. At first it said "Controller Int: Failed" when I first tried to read my file.

I pulled my read file last night and sent it to my tuner, but after playing around with it in the VCM Editor and creating an account on here this morning I think the read file isn't correct. Truck is an 03 with the CM845 ECM. Comparing what I saw in my read file and someone's 04 read file the 04 has WAY more mapping than mine did. Not sure if the 04 is 04.5 or not as I know that will make a difference, but for example I didn't see the boost limited fueling table. Can anybody shed some light on this that has some experience with it?

Also I saw today where you are supposed to apply the custom OS patch, I haven't done that yet, and had no options under my OS tab in the editor.

Another question I have is can I data log another truck with Smarty UDC without having to license it? If I have to use 2 credits that is fine, just curious on how I go about it.

I am waiting to hear back from my tuner today to see if my read file is correct or not. Figured I would ask a few questions here in the meantime to help me learn more.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to select advanced view in order to see all the parameters.

You don't need to use credits to scan, only to write.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I will try that after work today. I also saw on here where someone posted an 05 file so I want to look at it as well.
    My tuner also got back with me and said everything was there.

I just need to get some time to play with the data logging feature and go from there. I really just need to see if rail pressure is holding on the other truck and if he is hitting the random timing limiter.

Tuner in Training
    Another question I have is when I apply the OS code patch for data logging can I just write that into the ECM and that's it. Or do I have to write it to the ECM and send my tuner that specific file to modify? Basically I already sent my read out to my tuner and have followed the instructions for the OS patch (Saved another file, just need to write it to the truck).

It would be best to send your tuner the file with the OS patch. One time after applying the patch it would not allow me to load a pre-patch tune. I don't know if it was just being glitchy or that is how it works but better safe than sorry.

Tuner in Training
    Everything is going good so far with my HP Tuning. Still working out some bugs in my tune, but overall happy with the switch.

Do have another question about data logging. Can someone explain to me how the Pro version works without the laptop hooked up? I tried using this feature at the track this weekend and just gave up and set my laptop in the passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseladdict View Post
    Everything is going good so far with my HP Tuning. Still working out some bugs in my tune, but overall happy with the switch.

Do have another question about data logging. Can someone explain to me how the Pro version works without the laptop hooked up? I tried using this feature at the track this weekend and just gave up and set my laptop in the passenger seat.
    The standalone data logging does not function on our trucks.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparmatty View Post
    The standalone data logging does not function on our trucks.
    Well that sucks. That was one of my main reasons for buying the Pro Version was to be able to datalog without a laptop. What good is the record and stop button for then?

Well that sucks. That was one of my main reasons for buying the Pro Version was to be able to datalog without a laptop. What good is the record and stop button for then?
    It works on some vehicle platforms but not others.

Tuner in Training
    Gotcha. Thanks for the help, I think for now I have everything figured out.

Tuner

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I got the OS Patch working. You can either flash in the truck after you get your readout file or have your tuner of choice apply it to your files they send back.

Is it possible to have atmospheric pressure taken out of the boost pressure reading when data logging? It was throwing me off when I first saw 18psi launches on my buddies truck, then I logged at idle and shows 15psi at idle. Its not a big deal just easier for me to quickly look over data logs.

I was wondering the same thing. You must be at sea level. My base is 11.4 psia. I thought I read on a help file for the scanner that you could code the values with wildcards or something, but I can't seem to find that article again.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I got the OS Patch working. You can either flash in the truck after you get your readout file or have your tuner of choice apply it to your files they send back.

Is it possible to have atmospheric pressure taken out of the boost pressure reading when data logging? It was throwing me off when I first saw 18psi launches on my buddies truck, then I logged at idle and shows 15psi at idle. Its not a big deal just easier for me to quickly look over data logs.
    I was able to subtract my baro psi to show ABOUT what actual boost would be.

Scanner - Tools - Math Parameters.

Click on "User Math 1" change the name to whatever you'd like ( I chose Boost Actual, abv: BA)
    Click "New Variable" - click on parameter hyperlink - Find Boost Pressure (Make sure this parameter is also displayed on your channels or it will not work)
    Now in the expression text box, put a space then "-" then space again (for me, it wouldn't work without the spaces). Type in your average Barometric pressure for your location (Mine is 14.2 in ND)
    Click "Save" at the top of the Math Manager window
    This should now be in the PID list under User Defined. I have mine displayed on the Chart vs Time

Depending on your setup, you might be able to subtract measured Barometric Pressure from Boost Pressure to be accurate.

This page sort of helps: Math Parameters
    SOLD - 05.5 3500 5.9 | G56 | CM848 ECU | HPT "Pretty Fast" Tune | FASS 95 | Custom 5in Intake | Straight 4in |
    SOLD - 08 F450 6.4 | 5R110W | Modified | ? Tow Tune | Custom 4" |

New - 12 Ram 4500 6.7 | G56 | CM2200 | RaceMe | Straight 4" | K&N Drop in

Tuner in Training
    Ok I will give that a try. Main thing I wanted to look at was how much boost he was launching at. Overall boost is above what the stock sensor can read anyways.

Tuner in Training
    Saved