Thread: I'm diving head first into a 2006 Silverado 5.3l tune after a cam swap....

Tuner

I'm diving head first into a 2006 Silverado 5.3l tune after a cam swap....

This truck is a friend of mines. He is finishing up the mechanical work this coming weekend. If anyone has any guidance I'd appreciate it. I've read just about all I can. I will have plenty of time to work with the truck. (4-5 days)
    I've read where individuals have received 'base map' tunes from other tuners to help start with a new tune. Is it rude of me to ask for a base map? Can I purchase these maps somewhere?
    I'll try to keep you guys updated when I get the truck. I was even thinking about starting a thread detailing my process. I'll be back.

For whatever reason I always feel people get the this "base map" idea from imports or tv shows or diesel handheld tuners that will be the answer to the problems lol.

The short and too the point of it is that no "map" is going to help you here, every motor is slightly different, every area of the US is different with air density, sea level and so on. Because of that, one thing that worked for someone might not work exactly right for you.

If all you are doing is a basic cam swap with I can only assume headers and a intake tube of sorts, then tuning it won't be the end of the world. You will have to start with making it idle good and smooth then start re-tuning the VE and MAF tables because of the cam change. Once things there are close and it's doing good with normal driving and behaving right you can start to work on tuning wide open throttle and getting fueling down so you are nice and safe. A wideband is a must while doing any of this tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Search on RAF (Base Running Airflow) tuning first. This will get your idle surging squared away. You will have to get a wideband on it and get your VE dialed. After that make sure your MAF curve is in check then go back and forth from VE to MAF until you are nice and dialed. For timing, when I first started, I copied a stock LS1 spark map and then did the KR logs and kept pulling back or adding timing until the map looked legit and had very little KR.

After that, get on a dyno and you can start dialing in PE and spark hook the timing for MBT.

Tuner
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I wasn't looking for a "base map" as a final tune. My thinking was that I could get a map from someone with a similar set up, flash it to the computer and begin turning from there. I under stand that every car is different and the variables that effect the final tunes will surely be different. I figured it would be a good starting point.
    This vehicle will have a wideband set up and at this point I'm not even thinking of WOT tuning. I will take this tune step by step and try to cover all the basics plus.
    I will read more into the RAF tuning as well. Thank you guys.

Advanced Tuner
    Base tunes are BS. If it will start and run on the stock tune, you will be doing the same work to get it right if you started with some random tune vs the stock one.

Tuner
    Ok. Yes it will run and idle on the stock tune. I will start there.
    Are there any step by step instructions/guides that you recommend, that I can look up or read to help me while I'm tuning this truck?

Advanced Tuner
    Google is your friend Sir. Obviously, things have changed a bit with 3.0.XXXXXXXXXX, but the method is the same. You claim you've read just about all you can, obviously not. I gave you the search terms, get at it, you will find the how-tos either here or other sites. Im not being a dick about that either, there or literally dozens of how-tos including the stickies on this forum.

If you have questions about something in particular, post it here and I'll be sure to help. Don't PM cause any questions that are new and are givven answers to should be searchable by others.

Tuner
    I was asking if there was one that you recommend.

Advanced Tuner
    Not any in particular, a lot of the how-tos have slightly different gems of good info so its best to read the same how-tos from multiple sources.