Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to read a different vehicle with 3.0. How do I do it?

Advanced Tuner

Want to read a different vehicle with 3.0. How do I do it?

I am lost. I hook up the editor to the new vehicle. Turn on the key to the on position. But the read function stays grey. My tune shows. Any help from the beginning with step by step instructions? Thanks
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    close the tune, then read the ecm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    close the tune, then read the ecm.

I appreciate that Bill. I just did it sitting at home and "yes" the read function is active.

Question: When I email myself the latest application key it states I have 8 credits left.

Should that also show somewhere in the program?

Thanks

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    Assuming things aren't messed up, you can click on the suite info button, its icon on the right at the top that is a blue circle with an I in it. if you have the dongle plugged in and powered up, you can get info and it will show how many credits you have and what vehicles you licensed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by matty b View Post
    Assuming things aren't messed up, you can click on the suite info button, its icon on the right at the top that is a blue circle with an I in it. if you have the dongle plugged in and powered up, you can get info and it will show how many credits you have and what vehicles you licensed.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    thanks Matty. I see where it states the two vehicles I have read. Mine and one other from 5 years ago. I do not see where it sais I have 8 credits left. But I experimented by going one step further where it said the options to buying a tune that was not mine. It then started flashing red stating "I had credits left". That is a good sign. The reason I am going through all of this is the shop that works on my transmission has a customer's 69 Camaro in the shop. It has an LS3 and a 6L90. The customer had it tuned locally with hp tuners and is complaining it will not shift into manual low. I want to read the tune tomorrow for the transmission shop and post the tune on here to see if anyone sees anything in the tune that is not allowing it to go into M1. Hopefully it will all work out.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    Is the read or write part grayed out? I just had this issue with an already licensed vehicle and I found that if I clicked yes to license without any credits on my dongle, I was able to write a tune. I dunno if clicking license will use two of your credits or not since you have credits availble, but thats what I did and it worked.

Advanced Tuner
    Nothing works out as it is suppose to. I plugged into the 69 Camaro and turned the key to the on position. Then I closed my tune and all was fine. The read function appeared in a nice bold black icon. I started reading. Immediately I got an error code. "Detect Controllers and Basic Information Failed" So what did I do wrong? Any guidance would be appreciated.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Because it's a transplant, it's likely that your OBD port isn't wired correctly.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Because it's a transplant, it's likely that your OBD port isn't wired correctly.
    Keith,

I am not following. I am not good with this stuff. So I know my setup works. I can read and write on my car. So what is the OBD port? Are you talking about the Camaros port? It is not my car. And I heard it was tuned with hp tuners.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    The OBD port is where you plug in to flash. Do you or anyone else have a scan tool/ code reader other than HPTuners? If you can read codes on the Camaro with another tool but not with HPTuners, its in your dongle or the program. IF nothing reads, then first make sure you have 12v power at pin 16 of the OBD2 port (bottom row, last pin on the right) and grounds on both pins 4 and 5 top row, 4th and 5th pins from the left. The top row is the wider row than the bottom. I also found out that if other components are tied into the serial data circuit, like Dakota Digital OBD adapter for their new dashboards, you cannot read the pcm without pulling power to the add on component.
    Last edited by matty b; 02-16-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: can versus cannot is a big difference.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by matty b View Post
    The OBD port is where you plug in to flash. Do you or anyone else have a scan tool/ code reader other than HPTuners? If you can read codes on the Camaro with another tool but not with HPTuners, its in your dongle or the program. IF nothing reads, then first make sure you have 12v power at pin 16 of the OBD2 port (bottom row, last pin on the right) and grounds on both pins 4 and 5 top row, 4th and 5th pins from the left. The top row is the wider row than the bottom. I also found out that if other components are tied into the serial data circuit, like Dakota Digital OBD adapter for their new dashboards, you can read the pcm without pulling power to the add on component.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    That is a good common sense way to test the obd port Matty. I will have the transmission shop use their scanner to see if it is working on that Camaro. Also I have a 15 Colorado which I think is supported by HP Tuners. I can try reading my tune on the truck. I actually have not tried to write or read on my G8 with the 3.0. It is in their transmission shop. On a pass down the dragstrip I smoked the 4/5/6 clutches in the 6L80E and blew up the Camaro differential. The differential lasted for 4 years. I bought another one and added an IRS ultimate rear cover and some G Force 1500 horsepower axles. It is still being worked on so I have not actually tried anything with 3.0. I just uploaded it on my computer while waiting for the G8 to be fixed. Maybe it is 3.0???

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    Im confused, have you tried to plug into the car you want to tune? We are kinda wasting our time if you are just screwing around.

Advanced Tuner
    Of course I have. On the 69 Camaro this afternoon. I am just telling you that while my G8 was/in the shop I uploaded 3.0. I have not read or written on the G8 with 3.0. So I am not positive that 3.0 is working. I can try reading my Colorado tomorrow morning to see if it works. Also as you suggested to have the transmission shop put their scanner into the Camaro's OBD2 port to see if it works.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    Ok. We are talking about so many different cars that I wasn;t sure what car was or wasn;t being worked on ect.

Advanced Tuner
    No problem. I appreciate your help. I can also walk back into the shop tomorrow to see if I can write my new tune on my G8. I have a funny feeling it is 3.0. I hope I am wrong.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    Do it on your G8 and get back to us.

Advanced Tuner
    One thing that is very strange is I keep updating 3.0 from here. They had one called VCM Suite(6).msi. It took 40 minutes to download. Then for giggles I right away downloaded 3.0 again. Now it has VCM Suite(7).msi. This one is downloading as I write. Not nearly as long to download. It has only 7 minutes left before complete download. Is this normal with 3.0? Are there a lot of downloads to get current?

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    The (x) is how many copies you have downloaded. Windows does that so as not to overwrite the previous download with the same name. Each time you download it you will increase that number by one.

If you look in your folder that you download to, you will find several files with the same name just different "x" values