Thread: Supercharged Charger V6 - WOT Upshifts suck, need help

Tuner

Supercharged Charger V6 - WOT Upshifts suck, need help

Been tuning a supercharged Charger 3.6 V6, 5-speed auto. We're doing very well on the engine tune, and have fixed some driveability issues with his 3.91 gears and FTI 3500 converter installation by revising the part throttle TCC and shift schedule.

Big issue we're having right now is the WOT upshifts suck. In particular, the 2-3 shift is missing its shift.

Like most here, I just don't have the experience yet playing with these WA580 tunes. That said I've tried copying some SRT8 items from the pressures page, I've tried adjusting the PCS solenoid settings to increase line pressure which firmed up normal drive but didn't fix the 2-3. I've had best success so far reducing the maximum normal shift time.

Customer also reports that in autostick it shifts like a champ, but I haven't seen any tables that relate to shift pressure differences in normal vs autostick.

I've seen the torque ramp tables talked about, can anyone lend a hand with suggestions on how to get this thing to shift!

Here's with the factory TCM tune:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFKpy6izJII

And here's the best I've done so far
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O19TII2T2_Q

Factory TCM read attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    What do you mean by "the 2-3 shift is missing it's shift" ?

We have done quite a few supercharged and turbocharged Pentstar TCM tunes and have not seen any type of issue. I have not touched the PCS solenoid settings. Primarily we change only the shift points (WOT and non-WOT) and firm up the shifts a bit with the ramp torque tables. We never had one miss a shift. Maybe you have a trans issue?

We have a Pentastar on the dyno now making roughly 420whp, shifting at 7000 in each gear and no sign of a missed 2-3 shift.

Watching the video it almost looks like you may be hitting the tune rev limit?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Go to Auto Shift Speed-WOT-Normal-Upshift and reduce the 2-3 Output RPM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    What do you mean by "the 2-3 shift is missing it's shift" ?
    Trying to get it confirmed by logging current gear and shaft rpm on the scanner but I believe it's getting its commanded shift and the trans isn't completing it. It's entirely possible the trans is cooked, he had a previous aftermarket TCM with the same issue.

Go to Auto Shift Speed-WOT-Normal-Upshift and reduce the 2-3 Output RPM.
    Appreciate the advice, already done that though. Stock is 2745 in the part throttle table and 2925 in the WOT table, both are 2595 in the current tune. The WOT shift points appear to follow the RPM limit setting anyhow, rather than referencing the driveshaft rpm.

Senior Tuner
    Post up a read of the PCM tune as well. Need to see your RPM limits set on the PCM side, if you have that set lower than your TCM limits they will fight each other.

Also a scan during this "missed" gear change would be very helpful.

Does sound like the trans is toast. If during the shift the rpms flare up from a failing clutch pack, the rpms will hit the TCM rpm limit, go into a sort of limp mode and just never shift. But to be sure I would like to see it all.

Tuner
    All rpm limits (aside from park/neutral) on the engine side are set to 6900-7200 depending on what the item is. Don't have a read of the engine side, tuning that in Diablosport still

Potential Tuner
    I'm having an identical issue with supercharged 2012 Charger SE 3.6L. It won't shift from 2nd to 3rd and bounces off rev limiter unless I let go of the accelerator. Have you been able to figure out what was wrong? I'm losing faith here, it was shifting fine last week and the car has only 59k mi.

Potential Tuner
    Another Q, is it safe to rev it up that high? I'm freaking out when it hits 6550 RPM, supposedly red line is at 6400 RPM?

Advanced Tuner
    I set my blown pentastars to shift at 7-7.2k as that is where the power levels off.
    Rev-limit is set at 7.5k
    None have missed a beat...great little engine...

Quote Originally Posted by oeuro5 View Post
    Another Q, is it safe to rev it up that high? I'm freaking out when it hits 6550 RPM, supposedly red line is at 6400 RPM?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    I set my blown pentastars to shift at 7-7.2k as that is where the power levels off.
    Rev-limit is set at 7.5k
    None have missed a beat...great little engine...
    Same here. SC Pentastar's scream to 7k just fine.
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

It won't shift from 2nd to 3rd and bounces off rev limiter unless I let go of the accelerator.
    I've had the same issue, in the software I'm using for tuning I had to change my REV limits as the pcm will float a bit to engage the gear. I had my REV limits set to 7000rpm in my 2-3 shift and it did the same thing. I have since changed my 2-3 shift down to 6000rpm and it would shift at 6500rpm. The pcm will not shift at the desired rpm you set it at, it will vary around 250-500rpm so setting a shift point lower in that gear will help. Also if your able to tune the output shaft speeds for an upshift, this will also cause the 2-3 shift float that your describing.