Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOTF Tuning

I want to revive this. Has anyone used Optimal Welding for tuning? How was the tune?
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Banned
    From posts I?ve seen some like his tuning, those with 2019?s have had some issues with his tuning. Don?t know if he has much in the way of high altitude tuning. His location is much the same as my home base, about 3000 foot
    Last edited by Jim P; 07-02-2020 at 12:41 PM.

I had no issue with his tune a lot of time for sotf on hptuners and they are really good
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Yeah Jim, this is my worry about altitude. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it can be to get a clean tune up here with mods. It still runs sorta clean when I go back to stock form, but it seems as soon as I tweak any little thing, smoke appears. Very time consuming for sure. I am probably tweaking too much at a time as I am impatient and lack time to get an optimal tune.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Tuner in Training
    Ive just purchased Optimal weldings 6 tune with switch and currently waiting on switch via mail. I did give him the stock tune and got the new tune in the same day and had asked him if i could load the tune without the switch and he said yes, but wouldnt know what tune it would be on. So i loaded the tune and fired it up with no problem untill i went to drive it and wouldnt shift out of first... the tune is definately more powerful and better throttle response but wont shift. So i loaded the stock tune back in and no problems, drove great. I had emailed him about it and he said it might be on valet mode and that i should just wait till i get the switch installed, however i never got a "valet" mode as one of the 6 tunes. supposedly 12v, 12v race, stock, race, tow, street. Im still optomistic as the tune was nicer than stock just off free revs and that first gear power. This truck has almost half million miles and the rpms would hang pretty bad when revved up and with the Optimal welding tune it would rev quick and fall just as quick, stock would hang in the mid rpm range and take a couple seconds to idle down. Ill be getting the switch in a few days and well see how it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselingDB View Post
    Ive just purchased Optimal weldings 6 tune with switch and currently waiting on switch via mail. I did give him the stock tune and got the new tune in the same day and had asked him if i could load the tune without the switch and he said yes, but wouldnt know what tune it would be on. So i loaded the tune and fired it up with no problem untill i went to drive it and wouldnt shift out of first... the tune is definately more powerful and better throttle response but wont shift. So i loaded the stock tune back in and no problems, drove great. I had emailed him about it and he said it might be on valet mode and that i should just wait till i get the switch installed, however i never got a "valet" mode as one of the 6 tunes. supposedly 12v, 12v race, stock, race, tow, street. Im still optomistic as the tune was nicer than stock just off free revs and that first gear power. This truck has almost half million miles and the rpms would hang pretty bad when revved up and with the Optimal welding tune it would rev quick and fall just as quick, stock would hang in the mid rpm range and take a couple seconds to idle down. Ill be getting the switch in a few days and well see how it all works out.
    Please update this when you get it. Im very interested to see what you think.

Noah, I think that a big part of your smoke issue could be the BMS injectors you have installed. I've seen before where you stated that the smoke didn't really start until after the injectors. A really hi quality 50hp injector shouldn't increase smoke output at all.

I agree. It did ok with smoke in stock firm, but rattles. As I tune the rattle out the smoke gets worse. Still trying to figure out. I'm taking a step back and slowly modifying the stock tune to see where smoke starts appearing.

The BMS 50's, do you know what spray angle they are? are they 126 or 143? I would start with different injectors most likely.

Sac 128 degree 50hp bms. I did verify on dodge vin check that this is the 325/600 ho motor. This should be the correct injector although i know stock is a 126 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Sac 128 degree 50hp bms. I did verify on dodge vin check that this is the 325/600 ho motor. This should be the correct injector although i know stock is a 126 degree.

Screenshot_20200705-072305_Gallery.jpg

Looks like 04.5 + to me.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

I've had one customer that had a really consistent smoke issue and it ended up being wrong spray pattern. Not saying that's the issue, but after tons and tons of tuning revisions it should be better..lol On thing you could try, would be to take that old tune of mine that you had in it for a while. And put a more stock duration table in it and see if it runs cleans. On the timing table, just drop max timing down to like 24* but don't adjust the mid range, jsut the vary top and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    I've had one customer that had a really consistent smoke issue and it ended up being wrong spray pattern. Not saying that's the issue, but after tons and tons of tuning revisions it should be better..lol On thing you could try, would be to take that old tune of mine that you had in it for a while. And put a more stock duration table in it and see if it runs cleans. On the timing table, just drop max timing down to like 24* but don't adjust the mid range, jsut the vary top and see what happens.
    Top end is ok. All the smoke of concern is on the low end and when even slightly almost un-noticeably lugging and just in cruise range it will haze a fair bit.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

On the timing table in the area of concern, likely 20-75mm3 I'm assuming. Put timing to a static -2 (2* ATDC) Then do a quick blend to smooth it. See where that gets you for smoke output. If it's clean, start adding timing until you start to haze and go from there.

On the timing table in the area of concern, likely 20-75mm3 I'm assuming. Put timing to a static -2 (2* ATDC) Then do a quick blend to smooth it. See where that gets you for smoke output. If it's clean, start adding timing until you start to haze and go from there.
    Dom, what do you see here in my log file that would cause high amounts of black smoke in the spiked TPS areas? The smoke comes on strong and gets to be less as turbo spools towards the peak of TPS.
    Tune is attached as well for reference. I made the changes you suggested in the smoke areas (20-75mm3) (650 to 1800 rpm).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

what's your wastegate spring? I had issues when I went to an external gate. I would build a lot of drive pressure while spooling and it would push the gate open before I made good boost.

what's your wastegate spring? I had issues when I went to an external gate. I would build a lot of drive pressure while spooling and it would push the gate open before I made good boost.

No worries there. It wont start open until 32 to 35 psi, however I have it closed off with a boost elbow for testing purposes. I never hit 35psi at this altitude and my mild tuning. I am normally hitting around 30 psi getting on the freeway up mild hills. Ill hit 40 at sea level with no smoke whatsoever. From a dead stop, it definitely lags though at altitude.

For these reasons, I dont really feel the injectors are an issue. I would guess they would haze and smoke some at sea level if they were faulty or an incorrect spray pattern.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Adding boost won't do anything for the opening pressure if your drive pressure exceeds boost pressure by more than the spring pressure. For Example. I had a 15psi spring in mine, and had a manual boost controller to adjust pressure on the gate as well. But when spooling my drive pressure would go up to 35-45 while boost was still like 10.. so it would push the gate open and be a smokey mess. You don't have enough fuel to worry about having a gate anyhow. I would remove the gate and block the port and see what happens.

Adding boost won't do anything for the opening pressure if your drive pressure exceeds boost pressure by more than the spring pressure. For Example. I had a 15psi spring in mine, and had a manual boost controller to adjust pressure on the gate as well. But when spooling my drive pressure would go up to 35-45 while boost was still like 10.. so it would push the gate open and be a smokey mess. You don't have enough fuel to worry about having a gate anyhow. I would remove the gate and block the port and see what happens.
    Edited. I am understanding now. Thanks. I'll build a blockoff plate.
    Last edited by Noah; 07-06-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,