Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOTF Tuning

Ok good, I was about to go all bill nye on your ass trying to explain it..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    Ok good, I was about to go all bill nye on your ass trying to explain it..lol
    Ha. I just wasn't thinking. Pretty simple. Ordered a blockoff from flea bay just now. Hopefully it helps. The theory makes sense with a bigger turbo and poor air density. It's been warmer lately and the truck gets even more smokey.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

I'm not 100% sure that's your problem, but when I added a gate to my truck I hated it. If I ever have a gate again I will make sure to have atleast 30psi of spring pressure holding the gate shut, then boost on top of that.
    It made my truck that ran nice and clean a smokey mess. Worth a try anyhow.

I'm not 100% sure that's your problem, but when I added a gate to my truck I hated it. If I ever have a gate again I will make sure to have atleast 30psi of spring pressure holding the gate shut, then boost on top of that.
    It made my truck that ran nice and clean a smokey mess. Worth a try anyhow.
    Well, the block off did not really do anything. Still smokey rattling mess at take off. I even tried it in stock mode, same result. I really dont want to spend 2500 on yet a 3rd set of injectors. Getting ridiculous.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Well that's a bummer. I was hoping that would help you out some. Have you tried making a single event tune? No pilot injection? Sometime with injectors that are less than good quality a single event tune will run better. Just shootin from the hip here for you.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselingDB View Post
    Ive just purchased Optimal weldings 6 tune with switch and currently waiting on switch via mail. I did give him the stock tune and got the new tune in the same day and had asked him if i could load the tune without the switch and he said yes, but wouldnt know what tune it would be on. So i loaded the tune and fired it up with no problem untill i went to drive it and wouldnt shift out of first... the tune is definately more powerful and better throttle response but wont shift. So i loaded the stock tune back in and no problems, drove great. I had emailed him about it and he said it might be on valet mode and that i should just wait till i get the switch installed, however i never got a "valet" mode as one of the 6 tunes. supposedly 12v, 12v race, stock, race, tow, street. Im still optomistic as the tune was nicer than stock just off free revs and that first gear power. This truck has almost half million miles and the rpms would hang pretty bad when revved up and with the Optimal welding tune it would rev quick and fall just as quick, stock would hang in the mid rpm range and take a couple seconds to idle down. Ill be getting the switch in a few days and well see how it all works out.
    Did you get the switch? how do you like it? and around what altitude are you? im still back and forth on it. im getting mine cleaned up but i broke my flex plate waiting for a new one to get in.
    2005 Dodge 2500
    80% over injectors, 5" turbo back exhaust, HP Tuners, ARP head studs.
    Intake, Tater Built Turbo 67/67, Fleece 750 Powerflow CP3.
    2.5" front lvl kit, 35's on Soto 20x10s

Tuner
    After reading this thread im assuming people with launch control/2step are using a similar method with tapping into a pressure sensor to trigger the launch control?

For Staging limiter on the 06, you need efi-live. Efi-live has a custom operating system that you can use one of the switched maps based off of a relay on the brake switch. So on the brake it switches over to the switched map and you can have that map as a staging limiter. Off the brake and you're back to normal csp5 tunes.

Tuner
    For Staging limiter on the 06, you need efi-live. Efi-live has a custom operating system that you can use one of the switched maps based off of a relay on the brake switch. So on the brake it switches over to the switched map and you can have that map as a staging limiter. Off the brake and you're back to normal csp5 tunes.
    Oh right on! I think I should invest in efi live one day haha

DieselingDB Just wondering if you got you switch. I ordered a hptuner I paid extra for 1-3day shipping. Shipped on 7th now still no tuner at 21st. I just live few hours drive away. I just want to clean up my smoke. Lol. But as reading through this thread I?m thinking not but some of you guys saying injection angle. I have +70h injectors. Smokes pretty bad under any load and constant haze at hwy cruise I?m hoping I can learn this system

Tuner in Training
    drwoffroad. I have gotten the switch and it is installed and quite honestly were not that happy. This is installed on my buddys 05 5.9 all stock, and the first tune file we got from Optimal welding wouldnt even shift out of first until 3500 rpm all the time. Sent him an email about the issue and he wanted a datalog of what was happening. did the datalog and thier was no TTV position being commanded. got that back to him and he made some "adjustments" now the truck shifts and all six levels work... they all seem very similar with the 12 valve tunes being louder with zero pilot injection. The tunes are smoky and in my opinion very crude. The truck cranks a bit longer on startup and kinda stumbles to life, this is all since weve installed the Optimal Welding tune and switch. The truck ran perfectly stock before. Ive had much better luck with two other 06 5.9 trucks ive tuned after this ordeal. I tell people that the switch is a cool factor and being able to smoke and roal coal is fine for some people and showing off, but im much more satisfied with a good custom tune. Hopefully this feedback is useful for anyone considering The SOTF for these 3rd gens.

Thanks for following up on this. I have seen a couple posts about his tunes having smoke issues and other issues you describe. Apparently some folks are having a tough time getting him to change the tunes etc. No personal experience though. Im personally just going to keep on tweaking my tunes for now.

Wonder if he would just sell the switch and harness with out the tunes?
    05 qclb nv5600
    stock

Tuner in Training
    Ya, I’m another one who’s having issues with his tunes. Everything said above has been my experience as well.
    I will try a couple more times to work with him to get it right, but it’s really not looking good at the moment.

Tuner in Training
    The switch is a very simple concept and if you could get it without the tunes i think anyone with some tuning experience or the time to test things could get it to work. Ill have to test it myself because the 05 truck we have it on is not the greatest. Id be much happier with a custom tune that i can adjust myself and still have the switchable cool factor. I played with it one time on the stock tune and the switch connected to see what the switch was changing in the datalog and it basically just uses different barrometric pressures to change what table it reads from, as for the "12 valve" tune the barrometric pressure was the same for the two 12v tunes only the timing correction was on Baro. Hopefully some other people can test this and help us out who already have the switch but want better tunes. Also im sure the switch is easy to duplicate if its opened up, to see what resistors and magic are inside.

I ordered a tuner from optimal because I was told in Canada and didn't want to wait for states shipping right now payed extra for 3 day ship well in end I messaged why I don't have it was 2-3 weeks ended up it was shipped from states but it did get here in 3 days but ups had it no one told me ups shipped it no tracking I paid for express post how that ended up ups I don't know , but yes here in 3 but didn't know where it was ups was holding it for duty , not happy so now because of what I read and what happened im thinking im just going to learn to do it myself , would be nice to have a tune to start with lol I also want his 6 posision switch but how does it load tunes , and 550$ just for a switch is steep but I still want it lol later I spent enough to get this far and still no farther ahead then when I started , soon I will have this smoke gone

Quote Originally Posted by DieselingDB View Post
    The switch is a very simple concept and if you could get it without the tunes i think anyone with some tuning experience or the time to test things could get it to work. Ill have to test it myself because the 05 truck we have it on is not the greatest. Id be much happier with a custom tune that i can adjust myself and still have the switchable cool factor. I played with it one time on the stock tune and the switch connected to see what the switch was changing in the datalog and it basically just uses different barrometric pressures to change what table it reads from, as for the "12 valve" tune the barrometric pressure was the same for the two 12v tunes only the timing correction was on Baro. Hopefully some other people can test this and help us out who already have the switch but want better tunes. Also im sure the switch is easy to duplicate if its opened up, to see what resistors and magic are inside.
    I just watched his vid showing some frequencies on a multi meter as he adjusted it to change tune it would be interesting to see where the tunes are stored as I have read in the 03 the ecm has no space for extra tunes

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by drwoffroad View Post
    I just watched his vid showing some frequencies on a multi meter as he adjusted it to change tune it would be interesting to see where the tunes are stored as I have read in the 03 the ecm has no space for extra tunes
    On the 03 it's just one tune with limiters in place. Look at the baro limiter A and B. Then the switch is tricking the baro sensor to switch between the baro ranges. Limiting overall fueling. So you're just running a "hot" tune and putting a limiter on it to make it a tow tune etc.

So with his tunes, there are never any extra tunes loaded to the ECM like with Efi-Live. He's taking advantage of a few tables in the current tune to allow it to switch power levels/allow it to get further into a bigger tune. That goes for any year cummins ecm with HPTuners, they do not have a custom OS that has extra tunes in it. Efi-Live and MM3 are the only ones that currently do that.

Banned
    Yep all that?s happening is a manipulation of the baro sensor readings to control limiters and manipulate which air density table is being used.