Thread: 5r110 is there a way to tune the line pressure in the transmission on 6.0 or 6.4?

Tuner in Training

5r110 is there a way to tune the line pressure in the transmission on 6.0 or 6.4?

5r110 is there a way to tune the line pressure in the transmission on 6.0 or 6.4?

I did not see tables for this but i know they exist. At least you can adjust shift points , clutch fill time , tcc control , torque management.
    Also it would be cool if the table exsist in the for 2nd gear lockup or maybe even 1st gear lockup i know that with enough power that lockup at low speed would be great. If tables exsist i know that the valve body can be modified to allow lockup down low.

I love what i have but if it is possible it would be amazing. And give us tuners more ability to make some great things happen. Thank you guys!

Tuner in Training
    I have very much the same questions. I have a 2005 F250 PSD and torn between 3 tuning software suites. VCM Editor by far has the nicest GUI though. Using the Demo mode I can't find tables to adjust shift pressure, even with Advanced View enabled. I'd be buying it tonight if the adjustment is there.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    I've asked about it before and it's in the works along with a bunch of other stuff. I bought hptuners simply for the shear amount of vehicles supported and not having to deal with the sct advantage software which at this point I dislike.

Tuner in Training
    That's good to hear. So my final question is this. I understand we don't have access to adjust the parameter yet, so if the truck is already running a performance transmission tune then the Line Pressure parameters should be preserved in the read?

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Yes as long as it's not locked it's stackable.

I'm using hp tuners but cant get it to log tcm. Trying to tune 5r110. Getting to point of trying sct advantage software I know they have tcm data logging and iv heard more trans parameters and tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver64 View Post
    I'm using hp tuners but cant get it to log tcm. Trying to tune 5r110. Getting to point of trying sct advantage software I know they have tcm data logging and iv heard more trans parameters and tables.
    Tune with HP, and log with Forscan.. or something similar. HPTuners is always on the more accessible/Accurate side when it comes to tables vs other main stream editors.

What do you need help with?

Trying to tune Trans having shift flares. The software doesn't have the shift solenoids labeled in the tables properly....instead of solenoids a,b,c,d,e it just has tables 1a-2a etc.
    I have a Cummins swapped in place of the 6.4 and just trying to get it a little better. Right now everything is great from 0-1/3 throttle any more than that, say if I jump into traffic itll flare and wont shift unless I let off the pedal.

Trying to tune Trans having shift flares. The software doesn't have the shift solenoids labeled in the tables properly....instead of solenoids a,b,c,d,e it just has tables 1a-2a etc.
    I have a Cummins swapped in place of the 6.4 and just trying to get it a little better. Right now everything is great from 0-1/3 throttle any more than that, say if I jump into traffic itll flare and wont shift unless I let off the pedal.
    Ford TCM line pressure tables don't operate by solenoid, its by shift for oncoming and offgoing clutches per shift.
    Last edited by PSM 6.4; 04-04-2020 at 02:08 AM.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Which of these oncoming off going control what gear?

oncomming .png

Which of these oncoming off going control what gear?

oncomming .png
    What ever they are labeled, 1A-2A is 1st-2nd 2A-3A is 2nd to 3rd shift etc etc.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Quote Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
    Ford TCM line pressure tables don't operate by solenoid, its by shift for oncoming and offgoing clutches per shift.
    What is table 41221 Trans line pressure translation than? Isn't that table translating solenoid amperage to a pressure? I see it as a way for the trans to know line pressure to then be used on tables like oncoming and offgoing pressures, and anything else that "requires" a pressure. What i'm getting at is i think we can leave that translation table alone and then fine tune with the oncoming and off going tables. But let's say you had a way to read actual line pressure vs what the translation table is saying, and the line pressure is off 10% you'd modify the translation table by 10% to fit actual pressure and then all your other tables would be accurate as far as actual pressure is concerned. But now all your shift times would need some altering. The cool thing is we don't need to know actual pressure we can be off 10% or even 50, just as long as we have our shifts occur when and how they should. We just need data in that table to get us close and then we fine tune the trans with all the other modifiers to fit our needs. Does that sound right?

What ever they are labeled, 1A-2A is 1st-2nd 2A-3A is 2nd to 3rd shift etc etc.
    If what you say 1a-2a = 1st-2nd, 2a-3a= 2nd- 3rd etc, then what is the 1a-3a and the 2a-5a? The trans doesn't shift 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 5th. These should be labeled better or at least give an explanation /Info as fo what gear or shift that they command.

If what you say 1a-2a = 1st-2nd, 2a-3a= 2nd- 3rd etc, then what is the 1a-3a and the 2a-5a? The trans doesn't shift 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 5th. These should be labeled better or at least give an explanation /Info as fo what gear or shift that they command.
    Thats how ford labels them in the A2L. Those tables are left in the base logic.. and does use those shifts in special circumstances. For example limp mode sometimes will shift 1 to 3rd to save itself.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    What is table 41221 Trans line pressure translation than? Isn't that table translating solenoid amperage to a pressure? I see it as a way for the trans to know line pressure to then be used on tables like oncoming and offgoing pressures, and anything else that "requires" a pressure. What i'm getting at is i think we can leave that translation table alone and then fine tune with the oncoming and off going tables. But let's say you had a way to read actual line pressure vs what the translation table is saying, and the line pressure is off 10% you'd modify the translation table by 10% to fit actual pressure and then all your other tables would be accurate as far as actual pressure is concerned. But now all your shift times would need some altering. The cool thing is we don't need to know actual pressure we can be off 10% or even 50, just as long as we have our shifts occur when and how they should. We just need data in that table to get us close and then we fine tune the trans with all the other modifiers to fit our needs. Does that sound right?
    By solenoid I meant the logic doesn't use individual solenoids for "X" commanded desired line pressure to control line pressure on a "separate" per gear basis as, each individual shift solenoid engages/applies different clutches depending on which gear its in or shifting to.

He was asking if there were any individual solenoid tables to adjust independent line pressure on "X" gear/shift.
    Last edited by PSM 6.4; 04-05-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

By solenoid I meant the logic doesn't use individual solenoids for "X" commanded desired line pressure to control line pressure on a "separate" per gear basis as, each individual shift solenoid engages/applies different clutches depending on which gear its in or shifting to.

He was asking if there were any individual solenoid tables to adjust independent line pressure on "X" gear/shift.
    That makes perfect sense, sorry if what i said came off rude. It wasn't meant to be taken as hey look at this table! lol but reading it back kinda came off that way. I was more asking a question and thinking out loud, voicing how i see the line pressure being created and used based on that table. All while trying to get you to maybe share some more on what you know about that table or it's operation. I do that so if i'm wrong about how i see it working someone can jump in and correct me. I also do it so others can see how i view that table in my mind and hopefully we can all learn something from it. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge on this subject.

Silver64 i really suggest you go view this video to help you understand how planetary gear sets work. Once you fully understand how they work it'll make tuning them so much easier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5piYEX-jRt4