Thread: Ford sd tuning

Advanced Tuner

Ford sd tuning

Just been reading darrylc write up on the ford sd system, and i think i am getting a little confused i have read it about 20 times but still not sure of how to go about adjusting these tables. I under stand the example of how tuners go about adjusting the map per air mas high res (For example at full throttle and 5000rpm the cam angle will be
    about 10 degrees and if we are seeing an AFR ration on petrol of 12.0 (lambda 0.82)
    with the required lambda (Base fuel table) being 0.79 lambda then we can alter the
    ?MAP per Airmass High Res? table to give the desire result by multiplying the value
    by 0.79./0.82. For the standard tune we would do 17,300 * 0.79/0.82 = 16,667.1.
    You should alter the values either side of the 10 degree value as well as the cam will
    be close to but not necessarily at 10 degrees.)

But not sure how to go about adjusting map per zero air mass table. This is what is confusing me for (map zero mass) it says this (If the fuel is out by different amounts for different MAP values
    (same RPM and Cam angle) then you will need to alter this value.)

And for (map per airmass high res) it says (if you are seeing a
    constant difference in the amount of fuel required at the same RPM (and Cam angle)
    for different MAP values then you can change this value to compensate).

So do you adjust the map zero table at all or is it just a number representing the map value for the ecu to do it calculations.

Advanced Tuner
    Will15, you probably wont need to do much SD tuning once you get your injectors scaled in properly. Most tuners just scale their injectors until they get close enough to the desired lambda on WOT and with fuel trims below +/- 5%. Best to use injectors with know scaling but the Ford Motorsport injectors generally don't have scaling that works on the Ausy Fords (Deka 60s are not even close).

Have a read of Slack dog tune:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...Slack-dog-tune

If you wish to do the SD tuning after this then here are some quick thoughts:

You will tune the MAP per Airmass tables mostly like you say. It is a quick method and works well on WOT tuning.

Now with respect to the MAP at Zero Airmass tables. To tune these you need to gather a fair amount of info. To do it properly you will need to hold the cam constant and measure different MAP, Lambda at each RPM point. Repeat for every CAM point for each RPM point. Then you can work out the slope (MAP per Airmass) and offset (MAP at Zero Airmass) from these numbers. The method I use is to collect Long Term Fuel Trims, RPM, CAM angle and MAP on a decent drive around all the cruise points. You can then do a regression analysis on these points and adjust your tables. Depending on how far you adjust the points you may need to work out what the new LOAD is at each on these points.

Another approach is to use the new scanner and plot LTFT, RPM, CAM angle around the cruise points. Then adjust the Map per Airmass accordingly. This works really well and is very quick. It is also an excellent way of checking your injector scaling as big LTFT are a sign of them being out.

Advanced Tuner
    Leave the SD tables alone for now. Tune injectors to SD tables and don't take published injector tuning data too seriously. Its a starting point and could be way off. Besides, I can take any injector with no data and tune it to drive like factory. Give the engine what it needs, not what you think it needs because the injector data may conflict with it.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok coming from the gm side tuning injector data to adjust afr is new to me, any tips or write ups on the adjustment of the tables I know there is the high and low slopes I have read abit about them on the injector dynamics site. Say if I had basically a stock car bar maybe exhaust and used some id1000 and there data should it basically yeid the desired lamda in the tune or will it be off and need some adjustment.