Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lean after new exhaust system

Advanced Tuner

Lean after new exhaust system

Any one had a ba go lean after fitting a new exhaust system. We run it up on the dyno before it was around 12.5:1 and 5.5 to 3 psi up top exhaust manifold was loose, put new system on its running 9psi now but go's way lean about 4500rpm now

Tuner
    If it is a stock ba its showing its age in the fuel system and possibley running out of supply.
    5 psi wasnt enought to show it but going to 9 probabley is.

Advanced Tuner
    so maybe old fuel pump, i will put the pressure and flow gauge and see how it go's. At what power levels do the stock injectors run out of duty cylce.

Tuner
    Std injectors will go about 230/240rwkw with stock pump and about 8psi.
    Any more would be asking for trouble.

Tuner
    Have a read of the thread( What did you tune today) by JETURBO. This has a lot of good info and dyno results.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks mate will do.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok did some testing today fuel pump looks good, but injectors are going 100% dc, is that weird at this power level.

Pump goes first if it's stock

Look again chief
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Did flow and pressure under load on the dyno, numbers did not change, why would the injector be at that dc if the pump was failing. What tests would you sudgest?.

Where are you testing FP from ?
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Advanced Tuner
    Just before the fuel rail, where the quick release fittings are near the chassis rail.

Test flow on the return to tank, it will paint a very different picture

Obviously you can max injectors out if your targets are to excessive ( ie 15psi and .70 lambda ) but when tuning for min targets vs power generated the pump goes first

You should post up your graphs to help paint a picture of what's going on, i do this in the WDYTTT for people who can read between the lines or graphs .....
    Last edited by JETURBO; 03-16-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Pressure and flow test on the return side?, the only time we check the return is looking for a blockage, what pressure would we be looking at?. I'm testing injector duty cylce at the injector with my scope maybe that's the problem don't the ba's have some extra injector pulse. WDYTTT? Not sure what this means, thanks for the help but gotta love the automotive trade always learning new stuff.

If your testing pressure up to a gauge from the pump you won't see much as there will be no restriction so pressure can be pump head pressure which could be anything if there's no blockage
    Rail pressure should always be base plus boost
    Return is where IT gets interesting..... ( and clearly shows pump performance for flow )

If you still have pump should you still see flow in the return at Max rpm/boost/lambda ? Yes you should , i bet you see narda thing, zippo, zilch and i bet you see nothing from about 4700rpm

What power, boost,lambda are you seeing it go lean ?

A simple dyno graph with all three readings clears up a bunch of questions

Where you think a pump is out actually is way before that factor if you're waiting for AFR's to go lean
    Last edited by JETURBO; 03-16-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Lack of return flow can also indicate problems with the internal relief in the pump at higher boost pressures. Pretty common back in the day in BA's. Pump can't handle the increase in rail pressure as boost goes up and dumps the flow out the relief.
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Advanced Tuner
    ok im using a pressure and flow guage (on the pump side) and would of though if there was minimal fuel on the return side it would effect flow on the pump side, i would expect to still see pressure but a reduce in flow (pump side). So basically from what you are saying i still have flow on the pump side because the injectors are sucking all the juice up and there will be none on the return. Is it normal to have a stock pump shit the bed at about 6 psi and 4200rpm (this is when it starts going lean). Still confused as to why the injectors are maxed (sorry no log im using my coda scope same deal with fuel pressures, no dyno logging). As far as i know it is a stock tune, i can't read entire yet but thats a nother kettle of fish.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry thats what i was going to ask whats a good replacment fuel pump, the only mods will be exhaust and tuning, car is getting sold when sortted.

Again need facts to seriously help you out otherwise it's guessing

Yeh the injectors could be out at 6 psi @ 4600 if you're commanding .6 lambda ..... See what I'm saying ?

Yes pump's shit the bed all the time especially old as donkey's balls BA's that are over 13 years old

To help you "work this out" I'll post a Proven Fact .... FG turbo stock pump has no flow in the return at 300rwkw with .8 lambda on 98 fuel ... A FG pump is aprox 180ltrs/hr a BA pump is 150 ltrs/hr ( let's hope i got that out the memory bank right )
    Now this is a proven fact, yet many can push a stock intank on a FG to well past 300rwkw before AFR's lean out

What is this saying about your crusty old BA pump ( assuming it's stock ? )

I've posted this before with a stock purple BA turbo in What Did You Tune Today Thread ( WDYTTT )

Have a look all the info is there .....

Advanced Tuner
    Ok got ya, loggin the ba sucks can't get f-all data tried 3.0 and 2.24 and dyno obd2, looks like the ecu has no vin so can't get the tune yet so commanded lamda is a problem atm. I will check flow on return then go from there. Help muchly appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    What boost for 300kw and no return fuel.