Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lean after new exhaust system

Iirc 14 psi
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    OP said the injectors are at 100% DC so there is the issue....unless of course your fuel pressure is low and you have tried to tune around it.

Mate of mine has 13psi in an FG with 0.78/0.79 lambda at 5500rpm and e21 fuel and no sign of the stock pump falling over yet.

Either way, pumps are dirt cheap and you should be replacing them anyway.

Advanced Tuner
    OP I beleive said it's running what he believes is a stock calibration & only running 6Psi so unless it's being flooded with fuel if everything is working ok it should have plenty of pump preesure(& return flow) & injectors should have more to play in them MHO(only).

Advanced Tuner
    ok there is no fuel flow on return when it starts going lean so I will change the pump, any suggestions on a direct replacement pump?. I think it is weird that the injectors are 100% and the tune is stock. One problem at a time I guess.

Bringing one of the best workshops data into suppprt what I'm saying

OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Advanced Tuner
    yeah don't have the bank for all the extra mainline gear yet, just have to stick to getting the apprentice to watch the gauge or scope while I do a pull haha, where do you pick up injector duty cycle from on the dyno, straight from the injector or obd2?

Advanced Tuner
    walbro 255 intank?

Advanced Tuner
    I log injector pulsewidth and rpm and do some simple maths in a spreadsheet.

In my mates example, where the airflow wasn't touched to increase injector DC, the lambda was fine and some room to move by the look of it. Based on Mick's graphs above and my mate running 21% ethanol (~9% more fuel demand) he should have gone lean.....but he didn't. Explain that! I do agree with what you're saying though.

Anyway delta pressure across the injector is what you want data on. That should be displayed also.

Advanced Tuner
    A 255 flows about 195 L/hr at 5 bar. If you go by what Jet posted you may as well go a DW300 (or similar) that has a bit more flow. Mick's data is showing >180 L/hr consumption.

Yes will a 255 is a great replacement and cheap, i use them all the time just make sure it's genuine as there's heaps of fake walbros kicking around

I've gone as far as 331rwkw on the stock FG pump on 13psi with lambda .8 to see where the AFR would lean and undoubtably show it was out of pump, way to many factors to bring things down to the finer RWKW amounts but with the hard facts with expensive calibrated tools like the mainline fuel module there's no question but facts ... It is what it is fellas

More to the point the BA pump was/is ( iirc ) 150ltrs/hr and after 10+ years I doubt it would flow anywhere near that so it's easy to see how far out of pump a BA will be with low 200rwkw's rolling up

Just giving out some facts from a super reliable source

Advanced Tuner
    Can't beat science lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you guys ever had a problem reading the tune out of the ecu, I go and read entire and it says it has a problem reading the module. I spoke to vcm and they said it's because there is no vin in the ecu so I would have to take it to ford and get one flashed in, dose this sound right.

Yeh happens often, vcm Australia are tits on a bull for help, email suppprt ( usa ) and they will give you a build update with the vin inserted

Make sure you type the vin correctly and clearly state what u want done in the email

Advanced Tuner
    Sweet thanks, will do.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok bit of a update I replaced the pump with a 255 walbro and it is better but still will go lean now at 5200rpm and 9.5 psi (302hp), so we are going to put some fg injectors in.

You won't get 10psi out ofstock injectors up top with lambda 0.82 or lower

Will please read this ( purple ba then next page blue ba ) i cover it all and show all the data on the screens ( just zoom in )

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...y-thread/page3

Rwkw is not apples for apples on different dynos but ur in at 225rwkw and there's a handful more rwkw/hp to be picked up with selecting a lower boost target and a realistic lambda target

You don't need injectors if ur wanting to sell it ... A pump was needed !!!
    Last edited by JETURBO; 03-27-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah sweet it's my mates and he has the injectors so i will leave it up to him, probably better if we back off the boost it's got 280k on the clock.

Advanced Tuner
    You stated your IDC was at 100% in an early post.....a fuel pump was never going to fix that. Put the FG injectors in and up the boost.

He also stated he doesn't know how to log IDC... The pump is out first on a BA I've proven this twice in the last few months and posted up the info to help

The fact is you can't get much higher than 8psi uptop with stock injectors but can very well successfully tune to a lower boost target to maintain a realistic IDC and maintain target lambda as again i proved with info especially as it was only to get the car running to be sold and not hunting for power

Changing injectors first would of only still had a lean condition that tuning wouldn't fix with a weak pump, this way he has pump and a stock injector he can work with

Will made the right decision

Advanced Tuner
    You have proven that the pressure relief valve on the pump is opening as Hiddeous has suggested earlier.

Mod the relief valve and it will hold pressure. Mate ran 11's on a manual BA with a modded stock pump and injectors.