Thread: cam angle question

cam angle question

Does the pid cam angle in the vcm scanner log commanded cam timing or actual cam timing?

Am I correct in thinking that drastically changing cam angles can change the load value seen and therefore actual afr given for the same map/rpm/commanded afr combination?

Im investigating an issue were the car intermittently leans out under load and load values drop off. I have noticed my cam angle drops to -10d when this occurs and there are dtc for both cams over advanced. I have had cams out doing valve springs too before the problem started.

Cheers

Advanced Tuner
    I thought there was just cam angle and cam angle error.

OK found my problem extremely low oil pressure dropped to 10psi under load at wot when hot. This was causing cams to end up fully advanced and looks like the factory airmass settings ends up crazy lean at -10d cam timing. So it was actual cam timing I was logging. Replaced oil pump and problem is gone.

I had a similar problem with a Ba that had chewed up mains. It would stall constantly and i always thought it could have been caused by the vct with no oil pressure.