Thread: BPM Heart rate from Garmin or Pulsar

Potential Tuner

BPM Heart rate from Garmin or Pulsar

Is there a way to combine BPM (heart rate) from Garmin or something similar with the telemetry data? I would like to create video with RPM, Speed, gear, G (from telemetry) and BPM (from Garmin). Hase anyone tried this?

Yes, RaceRender can accept multiple data files and synchronize each of them individually. After you setup your project like normal with your video and vehicle data, you can add the Garmin .FIT, .TCX, or .GPX file to your project... In this case, you'll want to cancel out of the data overlay template menu that appears, and instead add the individual displays for each data channel you want to see from your Garmin data file. When complete, you can also choose to save your resulting layout as a template, so that you don't have to repeat this setup work every time.

To add a data display: Press the "Add" button under the Display Objects section (lower right of main screen), set the "For Input File" selection at the top to the desired data file (Garmin in this case), choose the display type that you want from the menu (ie Gauge, Bar Graph, Time Graph, Text Data, etc), then set the "Field" selection to the desired channel (ie Heart Rate or BPM), and finally click on the display style that you want to use. You can then use the sync tool to align the timing of that secondary data input with the rest of your project.

Here's a write-up with pictures from RaceRender's documentation: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/docs/HowTo-OtherChannels.html

Potential Tuner
    I am trying to add Heart Rate (BPM) to a cycling video. I have data from my Garmin Vivoactive 3. I've tried the recommendation above and the heart rate does not appear as a valid data field. I've looked at the exported Garmin GPX file and I can see the data in the file. It seems to be an extended attribute as follows.

<extensions>
    <ns3:TrackPointExtension>
    <ns3:hr>99</ns3:hr>
    </ns3:TrackPointExtension>
    </extensions>

This section is included in each <trkseg> tag in the GPX file. Do I need a custom data profile for RR3 to recognize this field? How else can I incorporate a Heart Rate gauge?

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by zzatihz1 View Post
    I am trying to add Heart Rate (BPM) to a cycling video. I have data from my Garmin Vivoactive 3. I've tried the recommendation above and the heart rate does not appear as a valid data field. I've looked at the exported Garmin GPX file and I can see the data in the file. It seems to be an extended attribute as follows.

<extensions>
    <ns3:TrackPointExtension>
    <ns3:hr>99</ns3:hr>
    </ns3:TrackPointExtension>
    </extensions>

This section is included in each <trkseg> tag in the GPX file. Do I need a custom data profile for RR3 to recognize this field? How else can I incorporate a Heart Rate gauge?

Thanks in advance.
    This most likely requires help from @Weston to solve, but maybe you could post a sample data file that we can look at? If RaceRender can parse the data into a specific field, then it's pretty straightforward to add a Display Object as described above, but if the data isn't currently parsed, then that would likely require a program update.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response. I think I may have found a workaround.

I also have the option to export a FIT file from Garmin. That data file seemed to work with RR3. I do see a Heart Rate BPM data field that I can add a display object for.