Thread: Cherokee 2012 Ngc4a WOT problem

Tuner in Training

Cherokee 2012 Ngc4a WOT problem

Hello, This is the first time I'm tuning a Jeep pcm, the problem I'm getting is Im tuning the ve table works ok at part throttle, but when I go WOT the AFR goes to 10.0 and the the engines sounds like the AFR is 6.0 but is I lift a little the throtle (out of WOT) the afr is 13-13.5 I assume there is a multiplier when wot but, where is it? almost all the fa power enrich table is in 0,0112, any suggestions??

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well it seems your commanding 11AFR at WOT. Your only commanding 0.0112 commanded up to 3000rpm. Highlight the whole table and put 0.0100 throughout. Log it and post back.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    Also, the reason you're seeing such a drastic change in AFR from 100% throttle to just letting out a little bit is likely because when you let out just a little, you're exiting Power Enrichment mode, and going back to closed loop control.

Tuner in Training
    I tried to find what all those parameters mean but the section of the dode pcm in the vcm editor's help is blank.

I want the afr at wot to be 13.0, and what aircharge means?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Also, the reason you're seeing such a drastic change in AFR from 100% throttle to just letting out a little bit is likely because when you let out just a little, you're exiting Power Enrichment mode, and going back to closed loop control.
    I know that, besides I set the close loop to never activate.

But this morning I tried the PE table to 0 and make no difference, even though I set it to 1 and the same thing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by barton View Post
    I know that, besides I set the close loop to never activate.

But this morning I tried the PE table to 0 and make no difference, even though I set it to 1 and the same thing.
    Might look into the following:

1) VE bank 1 and VE bank 2 should look more similar than they do. Common practice is generally just disable bank 2, and just dial things in with bank 1.

2) Your EQ Ratio Command goes way, WAY low (down to .138), and it looks like it kind of goes in and out of that ratio. It's bouncing from .873 (around 12.8 command AFR) to .138 (2.0 commanded AFR), then to .209 (3.0 commanded AFR), then momentarily returning to .873 until it falls back into the same sort of cycle that seems to be triggered by something (perhaps KR).

3) KR - your FA Knock Enrich table is SUPER aggressive, adding .500 fuel-to-air whenever knock is detected. What does this mean? Your Stoich value is .0688, and your power enrich value is .0100. Add those 2 values together, you get .0788. .0788 translates to 12.69 AFR (1 / .0877 = 12.69). If you run into KR, the FA Knock Enrich table adds .500 to the Fuel-To-Air ratio, meaning .0877 + .500 = .5877. .5877 translates to 1.7 AFR. You can see how quickly that can cause your AFR to plummet. Fortunately, there are some limiters in the PCM that will only allow it to add so much fuel (FA Limits).

4) Not to say that COT or Thermal Overtemp are underlying causes of issues here, but it would probably be wise to disable them both while you're trying to figure out your fueling, just in case they are doing things in the background. Simply max out the target temperatures, threshold temperatures, delta, and Incr rates of those tables, and zero out the FA adders to render them inoperable.

Your PCM is definitely commanding a super rich condition, so you need to figure out why that is so. Your Equivalence Ratio gives it away, and until at WOT you can maintain an expected EQ Ratio, your AFR is never going to respond properly.

As a quick side note, HP Tuners has gone into detail on this subject in the past, but EQ Ratio is kind of confusing in some applications since SAE definitions and intended definitions may not match. In some cases, EQ Ratio = Lambda. In other cases, EQ Ratio = inverse of Lambda. In your case, it looks like EQ Ratio = Lambda.

And in case you aren't aware of how Lambda translates into AFR, take the stoich value of the fuel you're running (gasoline = 14.7), and multiply it by the Lambda value.

Lambda of .871 would be 12.8 AFR (.871 * 14.7 = 12.80).

Tuner in Training
    ok that's been very helpful, I normally tune aftermarket ecus but I'm beginning to love hp tuners, but, from your post I have only one dumb question, where can I find the EQ ratio table?

thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by barton View Post
    ok that's been very helpful, I normally tune aftermarket ecus but I'm beginning to love hp tuners, but, from your post I have only one dumb question, where can I find the EQ ratio table?

thanks
    You don't find the EQ Ratio table. It's a calculation that is derived from a combination of your FA Stoich values with the addition of the FA Power Enrich table when in Power Enrichment mode, along with any other FA modifiers that get added in along the way (Fuel Mass Multipliers, FA Cold Enrich tables, FA Knock Enrich Table, Converter/Exhaust/Thermal Overtamp FA Adder tables).