Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark timing beyond 6400

Potential Tuner

Spark timing beyond 6400

1997 Sunfire GT 2.4L LD9

I understand that you can increase the Rev limiter, but I have also seen pictures of the interface that shows 6400RPM as the max tuning limit in in maps. What happens beyond 6400? Does the ECU just continue to "extrapolate" the existing map or does it fall back on some type of default? Better yet is there any way to extend this RPM?

thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    i would assume its like v6's in that it uses the last known line up until a spark limiter kicks in...which on v6's is also adjustable to where you can set the spark to a constant over xxxx rpm ie 7000 rpms spark=20* or whatever
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    I faced this the other night, i had the car up around 25 degrees at WOT, all of a sudden it hit 6500, stopped pulling and went right to 15 degrees

I didnt find the table readily then to try and fix the default timing setting.

This was an 02' Ecotec BTW
    2007 Suburban - Slammed, Cammed, Geared and Stalled.

Potential Tuner
    Well this would be for a boosted application where bad things would happen if the timing suddenly advanced to some preset at high RPM reducing would at least be safe. If I understand you though foff667 I could at the very least lock the timing to the 6400rpm setting which I could just reduce a bit extra to run it at that to a new 7000rpm redline.

thanks for the responses

i'm looking into it.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    I sent you a Pm on another topic too Chris. I really want to buy HPTuners but I want to make sure it will do the job. Would love to save the cost and time of installing a standalone.

Thanks,
    Andrew

PS - Just to let you know one thing that is leaning me towards your product is how you and keith seem very eager to help and answer questions, nice to see these days

Tuner in Training
    Sitting in a Turbo 2.4 playing with it as I type..... was just looking to see how to do this as well (has fully built engine as well).

By the way Chris, thanks for the help last week.

***Update***

I did up the rev limiter in my 02 Z24, with a fully built LD9, and according to the dash Tac I only hit 6500rpm..... but the Tac on the HPT Scanner read just under 7000........ it didnt feel like I hit the fuel cut-off like before, but it did seem to hit some kind of limiter (cams, head work, valve springs are all good for 7000+)...... must have been spark related?
    Last edited by wizzer; 05-09-2006 at 02:29 AM.

i'm still looking into the spark thing.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    yeah, I had the same issue. The car would rev up higher than before, after upping the rev limiters, but it definitely feels that something else is, pushing it back.
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

Tuner in Training
    Any word on this major problem??

Tuner in Training
    any updates???

has anyone datalogged past 6400? I'm still waiting for my mvpi pro to arrive (hopefully thursday)

still looking.
    I count sheep in hex...

guys please email me your .hpt files (or just your VCM OS ID) so I can start out with some limited testing of this before i go and add it to everything.

Could have something ready by the weekend, but definitely next week.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Sent
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Tuner in Training
    Still waiting for my MVPI and laptop to arrive... damn you UPS hurry up!

But thanks Chris, you guys rock!

Tuner in Training
    Sent (also).

Tuner in Training
    Chris,

Every file I've sent you over the past couple of weeks from thepute2 (at) aol (dot) com need it. If you don't have them in your mail box, let me know and I'll resend. I don't want to flood you with them if you already have them all.

Tuner in Training
    also sent a stock 2k2 and a S/C reflash .hpt file.....

Advanced Tuner
    Guys-

Chris needs files that are not supported apparently, at least thats what he told me in his email.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Ok sorry Ron i misunderstood your last email as it didn't mention this spark thing

I need OS ID's from people who can test this right away to make sure it works before i spend A LOT of time adding these params to all the calibrations we support.
    I count sheep in hex...