Thread: cammed 5.3 chops and then stops, then chops again. Anyone have this issue

Advanced Tuner

cammed 5.3 chops and then stops, then chops again. Anyone have this issue

Anyone with a cammed 5.3 run into this issue before? Had it happen on a Silverado back in the day and I don't remember how or if I fixed it. This is in an Avalanche. The truck has a small stage 1 btr cam I think. it chops decent for a while and than the timing drops about 5 degrees, the fuel trims change a bit and the chop goes away. The idle kind of just smooths out for a few moments and then starts to chop again. Anyone have something similar happen? Any ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    The truck has a small stage 1 btr cam I think.
    that cam should run with a stock tune.
    do you have any scans/logs to post up to show what it is doing?
    what has been done to the tune?
    I have lots of ideas, but, without more info from you, im not going to be guessing.

Tuning Addict
    Not that it really matters, but this is a 4th gen. You need to tune in the VE model as it's about 4 or so g/s airflow off from the MAF according to dynamic airflow. You can force it to lope if that's the way you want to work it. Just put 5 and -5 in the adaptive idle timing tables in the furthest left cells and then interpolate to the next highest value. Might even help stabilize that roaming rpm at idle. You can also do the opposite to put a more natural lope into it by shifting things to the right one or two cells. Then if you really want it to shake uncontrollably - use PE to put it into open loop at idle only and lean it out a little. Don't recommend that one
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    ghuggins i am new to this tunning as well but got a 2000 rcsb 5.3 with btr stage 3 and ls7 sprins and 1 7/8 long tubes been working on the tune on it runs good but seems to be running rich any suggestions also have a 2800 stall