Thread: F-150: 5.0 vs EcoBoost 3.5, which for easy power from a tune?

F-150: 5.0 vs EcoBoost 3.5, which for easy power from a tune?

I was contemplating getting a F-150 to replace the SHO once the lease is up. I know the capabilities of the 3.5L EcoBoost V6, but I was curious how easy it is to grab more ponies from the 5.0
    Which engine would you recommend for pumping out some extra ponies without tearing into the engine (cams, blower for the 5.0, etc...)?

The truck would be used as a daily driver / winter vehicle. I'm thinking of going with the lightest chassis possible like a Regular Cab 4x2 with the 5.0L V8

more HP above stock numbers or more total power after stock+tune?

Without going beyond bolt-ons I would say the ecoboost. All out with a blower the coyote has more potential and parts available. Tuning wise, the ecoboost is definitely more difficult if you are tuning on your own. I don't think there is hardly any public(free) information on how to tune them and make more power.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    Without going beyond bolt-ons I would say the ecoboost. All out with a blower the coyote has more potential and parts available. Tuning wise, the ecoboost is definitely more difficult if you are tuning on your own. I don't think there is hardly any public(free) information on how to tune them and make more power.
    This. Better tuned power improvements stock and definitely more noticeable with the Ecoboost over the 5.0. Add aftermarket parts like mentioned and the 5.0 can easily gain more HP than the ecoboost.

I didn't have too much of a hard time learning and tuning my 5.0 in my 2013 Mustang GT although it was very tedious. But, when I go into my F150 Ecoboost tune, I'm having the most trouble I've ever had since I started tuning with HP Tuners 6 years ago.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Tune only, EcoBoost. Gains of over 100TQ and HP have been documented with good gas and tune. From personal experience, the stock tune on my '15 3.5L vs. the 91 tune with 4 more psi and timing, is a HUGE difference. Any time you can scramble the front wheels on a 4wd brake boost launch, that's well worth a tune only mod!
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

'17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw