Thread: 5.9 CR mileage tune

Tuner

5.9 CR mileage tune

Hey,
    I'm new to diesel tuning so I'm Gona have to spend some time learning how it all works. Most of my time was spent in my 2000 LS1 turbo camaro's PCM and have a good understanding of that side of things. But I'm happy to see HP tuners now supports the ford 6.4 and cummins 5.9 which I both have and want to do some tuning on. My 6.4 is running some nice custom tunes so it doesn't need too much work right now. But immediately I want to get rid of the bully dog tune from my 05 5.9 CR. Are there any suggestions on areas to focus on first to improve mpg? Stock truck running afe intake and blade runner turbo with 4" Exhuast. I was interested in removing pilot and post injection events but does this compromise how engine runs? I don't think I need to worry about cold starts since it lives in heater shop. I'm looking for good mileage and do love sound of 5.9.

Would like to hear other people's input

Thanks
    Chris T.

2014 F350 6.7 Powerstroke.
    2008 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.4L 72MM turbo
    2007 Escalade 6.2L
    2007 Yukon Denal 6.2L
    2010 Lexus RX350 3.5L
    2001 Tacoma 3.4
    2000 Camaro SS LS1 M6 - STS Turbo
    1998 Dodge Cummins 12v 5spd
    1998 Topkick Cat 3126E 7.2L
    1983 Toyota Pickup
    1982 Toyota Pickup
    2006 DRZ400
    2008 Turbo Nytro
    2010 Skidoo XP 800
    1978 Corvette

Tuner
    I'm new to the diesel scene as well but on my 05 cummins I killed the post injection and smoothed the pilot injection tables along with the rail pressure, duration and main timing tables, gained 4mpg over factory tables

Quote Originally Posted by y2konyxss View Post
    Hey,
    I was interested in removing pilot and post injection events but does this compromise how engine runs? I don't think I need to worry about cold starts since it lives in heater shop. I'm looking for good mileage and do love sound of 5.9.

Would like to hear other people's input

Thanks
    The post event is for emissions only, so I agree to remove it. The piston and injector design of the 2004.5+ trucks really runs a lot more quiet, smooth, and clean if you do keep the pilot event, especially when the engine is cold (below 125 ish). I do have some customers daily driving with a single injection event on 2003-2004 trucks with much better results.

The main thing to start with would be to get your cruising timing above zero. If you watch the logger, you'll rarely see the main event be a positive number. Play around, every truck is a little different, but 4-5 degrees during cruise will significantly improve your MPGs.
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffo60 View Post
    I'm new to the diesel scene as well but on my 05 cummins I killed the post injection and smoothed the pilot injection tables along with the rail pressure, duration and main timing tables, gained 4mpg over factory tables
    where do you kill the post injection at? i cant find it in mine i have an 05 as well.
    Last edited by TJ2000; 04-21-2016 at 12:01 PM.

I have spent years playing with HPTuners but have zero knowledge about diesel tuning. We have a 2004.5 5.9 auto and would love to improve MPG.

Anyone have a tune they would be willing to share that would give a decent place to start? Only mods are a cold air intake.

David

Tuner
    great place to start would be to download the timing calculator, start out with 50% overall or just 50% target BTDC at cruise. that will get you off to the right start. I havent finalized any samples i would try, but intend to upload a few versions of the calculator with different examples of %btdc just for this.
    2005 Cummins 325/600 G56 3.73
    Reving to 4800
    Worked Head, Twin Disc, BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Bamofo View Post
    great place to start would be to download the timing calculator, start out with 50% overall or just 50% target BTDC at cruise. that will get you off to the right start. I havent finalized any samples i would try, but intend to upload a few versions of the calculator with different examples of %btdc just for this.
    Great... looking forward to see it.

On a stock 2005 auto truck, with an CAI, what kind of MPG improvements can someone find via tuning? Hoping to get over 20mpg...

David

Potential Tuner
    Subscribed, great tips on here.