Thread: 2-bar trick vs 1-bar

Potential Tuner

2-bar trick vs 1-bar

Ok, Chris has said that the j-bodies use Alpha-n (TPS,rmp)for their fuel delivery and not the MAP, however MAP is used for ignition. For a Turbo application the 2-BAR trick would seem nessesary to control the timing retard needed at higher boost levels.
    Okay, now the curveball, I have a DIS-2 ignition that can retard based on RPM so based on this information would there be any real gains to using a 2-bar and re-scaling?

Thanks
    Andrew

Advanced Tuner
    Well, unless you have the programmable one, then I would still say yes. The biggest problem is where you'd scale the table back into the lower kpa area's, there is much lower resolution there. The biggest thing with having so many places (a table) to put timing in, your car may need timing at 75kpa at 5500RPM, but less timing at 75kpa at 5000 RPM. With the non-programmable MSD it retards timing a fixed amount across the entire rpm/kpa range.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Helimech
    Ok, Chris has said that the j-bodies use Alpha-n (TPS,rmp)for their fuel delivery and not the MAP, however MAP is used for ignition. For a Turbo application the 2-BAR trick would seem nessesary to control the timing retard needed at higher boost levels.
    Okay, now the curveball, I have a DIS-2 ignition that can retard based on RPM so based on this information would there be any real gains to using a 2-bar and re-scaling?

Thanks
    Andrew
    The only issue for timing is if you wanted to run different timing for part boost than full boost if you just tune your timing for the highest boost then it would work fine.
    I count sheep in hex...