Thread: Is the speed sensor important for tuning?

Tuner in Training

Is the speed sensor important for tuning?

As the title says. I have a manual tranny behind my 4.6 and i cannot figure out why i am not getting a signal to the computer. So how important is this signal for tuning? Could i just not worry about it?

Senior Tuner
    If you do short logs while staying in a single gear you probably don't need to care.

Not needed.
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

Quote Originally Posted by zzkats View Post
    As the title says. I have a manual tranny behind my 4.6 and i cannot figure out why i am not getting a signal to the computer. So how important is this signal for tuning? Could i just not worry about it?
    Depending on year of PCM you are using . VSS to the PCM is used to initiate idle speed control. So without it, the PCM has no idea when to start attempted to control IAC and spark timing to control idle. That said, you can tune around it..

I have seen a lot of rebuild T45s and 3650 transmissions, that the rebuilder forgot the tone ring inside the transmission. If you pull the speed sensor out of the side, you should see the tone ring inside.. If all you see are splines, then they forgot the tone ring. It is possible to install with the transmission in the vehicle,,,,however it is a PIA.

Tuner in Training
    This is a engine swap vehical. The computer is a 2005. I am using an older transmission that uses the old style gears. All the wiring is brand new and is making it to the pcm. And I have made changes in the speedometer section of the tune to account for the different pick up.

Could it be that I just have the wrong parameter selected in the scanner? I have tried everything that I thought it could be with no luck.

But if you say I don't need it then maybe I won't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zzkats View Post
    This is a engine swap vehical. The computer is a 2005. I am using an older transmission that uses the old style gears. All the wiring is brand new and is making it to the pcm. And I have made changes in the speedometer section of the tune to account for the different pick up.

Could it be that I just have the wrong parameter selected in the scanner? I have tried everything that I thought it could be with no luck.

But if you say I don't need it then maybe I won't worry about it.
    It will just effect the transition of when you are slowing down to idle from any speed. You can tune around it most of the time,