Thread: PID for wideband

PID for wideband

Kinda as the title says, what chart do you guys use to log afr error with a wideband. Or what layouts even.

Thanks

I just sent in my payment to upgrade my unit to an MPVI interface. I have an Innovate Motorsports LC-2 and up until now I've been meshing the Logworks data into Excel with data from my scans. It got me dialed in but it's tedious. I'm going to try to figure out exactly what you are asking and if I find the answer first, I'll post it. Otherwise, I'll be lurking. I'm about to do heads, cam and 392 intake on my 5.7 so I want to get my data faster.
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

I'd highly recommend reading through this thread here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...d-beta-testers

I was going to go with an LC-2 or a Ballenger AFR500v2 until I read that thread. I instead bought an AEM 30-0300, sent the gauge to Dr. Mike to do a quick reflash of the firmware, and I'm now able to log the digital wideband data directly as a PID, no MPVI required. Basically, the AEM gauge with the updated firmware puts the wideband signal out on the CANbus, and the HPTuners software can poll for it and bring it in as another stream of data just like any other PID. No analog inputs to figure out, no ground offset issues, and you can bring data in at 100Hz, which is ridiculously fast.

Dr. Mike was doing the reflash for free, but I think that time period is over. I'm not sure what he'd charge to do it...hopefully it's something he'll still offer until AEM can be convinced to do this straight from the factory.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

I hear you, but since I already have the wideband from back when i tuned my LS cars why buy a new one? There has to be some chart we can set up to log AFR error against MAP.

After seeing how easy it is to set up and log, it was well worth the expense IMO.

If you want to use your existing wideband, you'll need to configure the analog input and make sure it is reading properly. Logging AFR error vs. MAP would be pretty straightforward from there in 3.0...I'd highly recommend reading some of the tutorials available in the scanner section of this forum so you don't end up getting frustrated trying to figure out where everything is.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Yeah I have tried all that. My wideband is reading correctly, but when I make the chart axis and row matching my VE table and the parameter being math AFR error or EQ error nothing happens in the chart.

Senior Tuner
    Its a little quirky to get it to work in the charts and graphs.

First off, when you added your wideband to the channels, what parameter did you select to link it to? Likely you have to create your own Maths to add to the charts. The standard Maths HP gives you assumes (1) you linked your wideband to the EQ Ratio parameter AND its output is in lambda format and (2) your vehicle produces a lambda output from the PCM and it is showing under channel Equivalence Ratio Commanded.

I added the MPV interface 1 then transformed into a LC2.

Senior Tuner
    Ok, when you transformed it, did you choose the LC2 from the AFR ratio or Equivalence Ratio transforms? I assume from AFR Ratio this way it is showing on the 14.7 kind of range, not lambda.

Yes afr ratio. It wasnt available under eq that i saw

Senior Tuner
    Not a problem so there is your issue, you need to add some custom MATHs to get it to work.

First off, make sure you are recording the following as channels:

Equivalence Ratio Commanded (SAE) (select YES when it asks about generic sensors)

Now 2 new User Maths are needed

(1) call it "Commanded AFR" and abbreviation "PCM AFR" (keep it short as this you are creating for your charts, as you will want to see it there too, too long and the name of the parameter will make it look like doo doo). Select in parameters "Equivalence Ratio Commanded"a and answer "yes" to the generic sensor question, it should populate " Equivalence Ratio Commanded [Sensor]" then in the expression type "*14.7" next to it. You are multiplying the lambda times 14.7 to make it read like your Wideband.

Math 1 (Equiv Ratio AFR).JPG

(2) add another user math (just click the next "User Math" choice), call it "AFR Error" both name and abbreviated. Here you have a lot longer of an expression, but all it is just taking your wideband output, converts to lambda, then subtracts and divides it by your PCM commanded lambda...phew sounds like a lot but not bad. Sooo....see the screen shot below.

Math 2 (AFR Error).JPG

Last step is bring them all in, add in your chart first to make sure you are getting results. So add them to a series, just go select the User Maths you just created. Make sure you set the decimals right (2). Close out the chart design screen and move your slide a little and they should populate. If they do, youre golden.

AFR Error Charts.JPG

Now go to your graphs and create a new graph, the main input will be the User Math "AFR Error" again set your columns as RPMs and rows as pressure ratio or kpa depending on how your VE table is setup. Same thing, make sure decimals are set right.

AFR Error Graph.JPG

Senior Tuner
    The reason for this workaround and why its needed....you've only selected to record the input of your wideband as a 14.7 stoich log. The generic stuff offered to you from HP Tuners assumes either both items logged are 14.7 stoich (AFR) or both items logged are equivalence ratio, or lambda. In most our cases, our PCMs output equivalence ratio and we record AFR 14.7 stoich from our widebands. Have to bridge the gap.

Senior Tuner
    Lastly you could try to log the MPV1 analog in as a generic sensor and confirm you are getting a true PCM AFR that would make the HP Tuner Maths work out of the box:

AFR Error: have to log your PCM AFR ratio, you record Air/Fuel Ratio Commanded (my PCM produces no results on this PID) and your wideband should be good as it is currently setup.

EQ Error: Have to transform your analog 5v as a lambda value (I do see a lambda transform for your wideband, see below) and log Equivalence Ratio Commanded. Then the HP Tuner Supplied Math of EQ Error should work out of the box, no maths needed.
    LC2 Equiv Ratio.JPG

Senior Tuner
    Last thing worth noting out, personally I like having my own User Math created for the AFR error, since I use this to directly multiply times my VE table, I often add an additional multiplier of 50 to 75% of the values produced to not overshoot my adjustments. If it comes out with a 5% error, I usually take that and multiply my VE value by 2.5% and continue on. You cannot change the HP Tuner supplied math to do this.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 04-05-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Ok, ill get to work on that when i get home and let you know. Sorry late night at work gotta love jobs.

Ok so I followed your steps, everything looks good, but the readings arent following the graph. They are just staying on the top line and not populating the whole graph. Ive attached my log showing this and my layout.

AFRLOG.hpl

charger1.Layout.xml

Whoops.figured it out i think. Didnt have pressure ratio logged in the channel

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Not a problem so there is your issue, you need to add some custom MATHs to get it to work.

First off, make sure you are recording the following as channels:

Equivalence Ratio Commanded (SAE) (select YES when it asks about generic sensors)

Now 2 new User Maths are needed

(1) call it "Commanded AFR" and abbreviation "PCM AFR" (keep it short as this you are creating for your charts, as you will want to see it there too, too long and the name of the parameter will make it look like doo doo). Select in parameters "Equivalence Ratio Commanded"a and answer "yes" to the generic sensor question, it should populate " Equivalence Ratio Commanded [Sensor]" then in the expression type "*14.7" next to it. You are multiplying the lambda times 14.7 to make it read like your Wideband.

Math 1 (Equiv Ratio AFR).JPG

(2) add another user math (just click the next "User Math" choice), call it "AFR Error" both name and abbreviated. Here you have a lot longer of an expression, but all it is just taking your wideband output, converts to lambda, then subtracts and divides it by your PCM commanded lambda...phew sounds like a lot but not bad. Sooo....see the screen shot below.

Math 2 (AFR Error).JPG

Last step is bring them all in, add in your chart first to make sure you are getting results. So add them to a series, just go select the User Maths you just created. Make sure you set the decimals right (2). Close out the chart design screen and move your slide a little and they should populate. If they do, youre golden.

AFR Error Charts.JPG

Now go to your graphs and create a new graph, the main input will be the User Math "AFR Error" again set your columns as RPMs and rows as pressure ratio or kpa depending on how your VE table is setup. Same thing, make sure decimals are set right.

AFR Error Graph.JPG
    Hey man,

Could you take a look at my log and see if this is logging correctly? Im seeing a point around 3k-4k RPM where im commanding around 12.5 AFR but im seeing AFR in the 13-14:1. Im trying to correct this but it seems on my histograms im only seeing a 0.02 AFR Error when in reality the AFR is off by around 0.5:1. Ive been following along here, ive posted my log file and layout. I cant seem to get this figured out. I have an MPVI2 pro and AEM 30-0300 WB looks to be configured properly in HP.rev_16_log.hplwideband.Layout.xmlwideband.Graphs.xml