Thread: First Duramax tune. advice questions.

Tuner in Training

First Duramax tune. advice questions.

so i tuned my stepmoms 08 LMM. ive tuned alot of LS cars but first diesel. ive read instructions and followed carefully now just asking for second opinion. it has 35" tires and a 7" lift. its a dog. stock 0-60 was 11 flat and i cut it down to 9-9.30 seconds. very little tiny poof if you hammer down from dead stop other than that no smoke. i was wodering if they where any tricks to a litle more safe power? she was wondering if there was any way to get a little more smoke of the line before the turbo spools. thank you for looking.Kims Duramax.hpt

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Preferably since it's dpf even if it doesnt have one depending on your local leo's it's better to not smoke at all as it's just wasted fuel. Having said that. Since it's vgt turn down desired boost on the low end and increase fuel quantity. It won't be as punchy but it will smoke.

Tuner in Training
    i am fine with no little/no smoke. i was fooling with it last night and bumped fuel up 10% and it hazed throughout the entire WOT pull so i pulled fuel again and left it where it was happy. i don't have a boost or EGT gauge so i really don't want to do damage i just wanted to see if anyone could spot out areas of improvement. thanks for the advice about the smoke too. if she keeps bugging about it at least ill know how to do it.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Better to make more power with less fuel!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    Better to make more power with less fuel!
    Do you know how to clear the message center? it keeps saying to clean exhaust filter. we just put a 5in exhaust on it and i can't get it to go away.

Did you read this thread?

Roger-Ramjets-LMM-tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyevans View Post
    Did you read this thread?

Roger-Ramjets-LMM-tuning
    Multiple times. i used it as a guide and made my own tweaks here and there. on the DPF "set regen to 0" i did not have that option.

Read post #10 in this thread. 2009-Chevy-Express-LMM-Duramax
    If you haven't, shoot me a PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyevans View Post
    Read post #10 in this thread. 2009-Chevy-Express-LMM-Duramax
    If you haven't, shoot me a PM.
    So i unplugged the sensors under the truck for EGT/DPF and cleared the codes. the message center is fixed. Reading your thread however worries me that thus may cause future problems. The fact i also run a business and i advertise diesel tuning and now i can't really do the #1 thing people want is complete bullshit. so know I'm going to call all my gas clients with diesels to tell them i can't really do anything with there truck.... The government sticking their noses in everyone else business.