Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Quick Start Guide* NEW!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

*Quick Start Guide* NEW!

HPTuners Editor quick start guide
    HPTuners SCANNER Quickstart Guide

Here's a little quick start guide I made up for everyone...old & new users alike can benefit from many things in here so look it over for everyones sake
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 01-05-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Nice job. That took a lot of time.

Could you or someone start going through each of the tables and explaining what they do and how they affect things? The help file descriptions do not help at all.
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Nice job. That took a lot of time.

Could you or someone start going through each of the tables and explaining what they do and how they affect things? The help file descriptions do not help at all.
    considering there are 500+ tables in LSX & even more in I4, I5, I6, V6 that wont be happening anytime soon

Advanced Tuner
    lazy ass! good job Bill!!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    NEW item added!

Tuner
    Very nice writeup, should make things easier for sure.

Potential Tuner
    Just printed them out and not to start reading. Nice work!

Tuner in Training
    or maybe just the basics

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    considering there are 500+ tables in LSX & even more in I4, I5, I6, V6 that wont be happening anytime soon
    Wow! That many tables? I'm gonna have a lot to learn when mine arrives (hopefully in a few days).

Tuner in Training
    I want to say that I feel like vomitting because I never noticed the Histogram folder with all the pre-made histograms in it....I have been creating every single one I go to use hahahaha, which can be a fricken headache when you don't really know what you want to record to begin with!

Thanks! Glad I decided to browse over here and read through this before I left work today lol
    2002 T/A Firehawk : bilstein/eibach package, auburn
    TSP 404 Iron Long block with PRC stage 3 6.0L heads, Texas Giant cam, Fast90, NW90, Kooks 1-7/8", Kooks ORY, Magnaflow/cutout, Spec 2+, Spec Billet Flywheel, Racetronix 37# injectors
    Strano Springs, Koni Adjustables
    BMR: Q Arm, boxed LCA, PHR, STB.

Tuner in Training

500+ tables?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Tis not a simple product to use. What are the main tables a person would work on to do a basic tune to fit the needs of an STS setup on an 02 Z06 with 60lb injectors? Tailoring is fine and dandy but Im looking for a base to build on. And this may be a stupid question but if we know there is an ideal a/f ratio then why wouldnt it just be standard and set to happen and if a user wanted to run rich or lean he could change it himself on a custom whatever? Sorry but Im just amazed at the complicity of this... I know its bad as* to be able to control "everything" cuz thats how we men like it but getting started is frustrating. Please dont flame me cuz Im just trying to get it.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoody66
    Tis not a simple product to use. What are the main tables a person would work on to do a basic tune to fit the needs of an STS setup on an 02 Z06 with 60lb injectors? Tailoring is fine and dandy but Im looking for a base to build on. And this may be a stupid question but if we know there is an ideal a/f ratio then why wouldnt it just be standard and set to happen and if a user wanted to run rich or lean he could change it himself on a custom whatever? Sorry but Im just amazed at the complicity of this... I know its bad as* to be able to control "everything" cuz thats how we men like it but getting started is frustrating. Please dont flame me cuz Im just trying to get it.
    HP Tuners is not to be confused with a handheld(read as limited) unit..with our software you are basically limitless. There is no ideal a/f ratio IMO...you'll see it vary up to a full point of afr from one application to the next from one tuner to the next. If your not sure of your tuning abilities at this point & don't have the time to learn right now it might be wise for you to find a tuner that can email you a starter tune that you can tweak at your leisure. For liability reasons we cannot offer you a starter or base tune to go with your package, but thats not to say people who use our package cannot do so for you.

-Bill

Potential Tuner
    This is helpful for us newbies but I have an idea...

What if you made a DVD of tuning a car?

You could make 2 DVDs one for NA and NA with nitrous and one for FI cars. Take it step by step tables that get adjusted and narrated as to why you are adjusting it. I would pay 20 bucks for a DVD like this and I am sure many others would do the same...This would kind of give us a jump start with tuning and then as we get experience it would get easier.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    There are tuning books that go for about that. That might be your best bet. Check out the demo's section of our help file if you already havent www.hptuners.com/help

Bill, Would you consider doing a companion book to go as an add on to HP that might cover basic tuning and common mods in a more step by step mode.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazzen Orange
    Bill, Would you consider doing a companion book to go as an add on to HP that might cover basic tuning and common mods in a more step by step mode.
    No, we offer a tool to allow you the opportunity to alter the pcm any way you'd like, we will not be, however, offering a how-to as none of us are self proclaimed "tuners". What we will try to do is give you as much information as needed for you to be able to perform the job yourself as well as offer this forum free of charge to talk to others about their experiences & what they've seen work for them, this can be invaluable since theres usually someone else thats already been down the road you are going down.

Every pcm is coded different with different tables, etc so trying to apply the same tuning methods to 20 different pcm's is impossible.

-Bill

I'd have to agree with Bill.... They can help you understand the program but when they cross the line from editors to your program writer then they have alot more liability.

I've got alot of questions about the program and what the tables do. I've not had the program long enough to know near enough. That's why I'll be here reading other's posts and learning!
    ~Scott.

Oh.. btw Bill... If you'd like a Turbo on your 3.8L 98 Camaro.. I'm almost finished with the customer car... It'd be no biggie to do one again

Tuner in Training
    nice writeups... I grazed through them in a few minutes but I'm going to print them out and sit and take some time digging... I want to be SET to go when I get my software in January.... Tax return cant get here soon enough. LOL
    9:1 347ci LS-West Coast Cylinder Heads-F.A.S.T.-Precision Engine & Turbo-Rossler-Yank-Trutrac-Hoosier

Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brazzen Orange
    Like Bill said, you will have a tough time finding something that tells you how to calibrate your exact combination of parts on your exact car/ECM. However, if you're looking for general strategy help as to why you should be changing one function versus another, or what general order to approach things: I shamelessly suggest this book. You'll find some good fundamentals in there along with a chapter on GM specific tuning and examples with HPTuners software.

Tuner
    Greg's book is a good starting point and worth the $$ especially for a beginner, IMO
    07 Avalanche Exhaust & CAI