Thread: Force Open Loop at Idle on LS6

Tuner in Training

Force Open Loop at Idle on LS6

ok guys...having an issue I can't figure out. Have a customer car we want for force into open loop at idle to help with dialing in the idle after a cam swap. We've been able to force open loop at idle in the cable throttle body cars, but for the life of me I can't figure out where to make the changes on the LS6. I've attached the stock download from the car as a reference, any help is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Under Fuel > open/closed loop, there is a master closed loop enable table. You could set it to the max.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    won't that force open loop all the time? I'm just looking to have open loop at idle, transition to close loop at like 1200rpm.

I figured you were just going to tune the idle and then revert back to normal.

Not even sure you'll be able to do it by RPM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    On older stuff obd1 you could force open loop on idle. I think you'd have to force constant open loop so you could tune it. I see no way so you could open loop idle only. Random thought though. Doesn't idle increase iats? If so simply tune the ectvsiat closed loop to idle open loop with the higher iats.

Advanced Tuner
    Tune the friggin motor and you wont have to worry about it, that is unless this LS6 is some kind of nasty mofo that wouldn't run CL if it tried. Usually, if it wont tune, there is electrical or mechanical problems that make the motor unstable.
    Last edited by matty b; 04-06-2016 at 01:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate the feedback guys. I have the remainder of the tune solid - the situation is that we did a cam swap in the car and the customer is looking for a little choppier idle than just the cam has given him. In the ford world, and the older LS cable driven stuff, we've been able to lean it out a little at idle by forcing open loop only at idle to help give it a bit more chop. I'm fairly certain I was able to do this on an LS1 in a Firebird we did last fall, but could not find anything that corresponded in the electronic throttle tune. Hoped it was something I was overlooking, but maybe not.

Tuner
    did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing so I can command a leaner idle than stoich....when I use the scanner 16.3 AFR seems to be the sweet spot....cleans up the fuel smell (no cats) and cam chops more. No matter what I try it will not go to OL at idle and will command 14.68. PE enable TPS is set to 0% up to 1200, PE Map kPa = 15, PE enable delay = 300 RPMS. PE = .90 up to 1200. OLFA = .90 in idle MAP area. Car still commands 14.68 at idle.
    2002 EB C5Z06. ECS Novi, Alky control meth & headers, 633 rwhp