Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The SAVE MY ENGINE! thread. A SAFE place to post logs and get feedback.

I have gen 3 5.3 4l80e has JFR 218 cam. Have it setup in SD for for ve tuning got Idle and drove it to work 3 days and made adjustments based on afr error. Once it was close I multiplied by half. Then I tried to interpolate between 400 and 4000. Drove a block or so and wb was reading 16-17. Went back to good version of tune and tried smoothing whole table rather than interpolate and it did better most cells plus or minus 5. But did have few cells hit plus 25.
    If this in wrong section please move.

My question is what's best way to get ve dialed in. Hate to make small changes and then table has spikes and engine stumbles.
    Thanks. New to tuning this my first attempt
    ve bra tuning 4 test atomic ve minus 10 percent across 3 smoothed.hptwork to home3.hpl
    egr wb afr error bra.Layout.xml
    Screenshot (102).png
    WB EGR.MathParameter.xml
    Last edited by prostreet1967; 04-13-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Svh19044 View Post
    It was set to 284 min ECT (I guess obviously why it wasn't recording). What is the correct temp setting or is this done for a reason? I guess different tuners disable them, and my tuner is one. The car runs great, but this is a thread about saving engines, so it's worth asking.
    stock for the V's are enable at 95f and disable at 284f.

don't know why tuners disable them but mine did too
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner
    Good thread - I'm still feeling my way around the domestic world and taking on alot(mopar/ford as well)
    I currently have a "stock" 2011 CTS-V i'm doing some tuning on. It has a custom design intake, which my buddy designed for me, 7inch inlet, tapering down to 4''.
    The Trans Tune i got help with PAT G for but i've been learning my way around that as well.

I'd like opinions on my cal, as the car performs outstanding, idles good, and pulls pretty crazy.. More mods are coming but as always i like to ensure my proper learning as i come from the import world and its very different.DDTECHCTSV.hpt

In reality I'm learning the software, tuning is tuning. I'm targeting around 11.4-11.6's AFR. I have no KR as i've tuned pretty much the entire spark table but i'm open to opinions on becoming a better domestic tuner. So i'm all ears for any type of criticism

Potential Tuner

Can someone tell me if Im on the right track

Beginner here. I started my maf tune today on my 2013 c6 m6 with headers and catless. Can someone take a peek and tell me if I'm on track before I go further?

I followed a few of schpenxel's how to's to build a few graphs and after logging I went into the airflow vs freq to Paste special, multiply by % (or half). the logs seem to be getting better except the idle area

Included:
    CORVETTE o2 cot cags 041416.hpt is with no adjustments
    CORVETTE o2 cot cags MAF3 is the last one i did
    3.hp is the last scan
    and screenshot is my graph layout

CORVETTE o2 cot cags MAF3 041716.hpt3.hplScreenshot (1).pngCORVETTE o2 cot cags 041416.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by luckytii7 View Post
    Beginner here. I started my maf tune today on my 2013 c6 m6 with headers and catless. Can someone take a peek and tell me if I'm on track before I go further?

I followed a few of schpenxel's how to's to build a few graphs and after logging I went into the airflow vs freq to Paste special, multiply by % (or half). the logs seem to be getting better except the idle area

Included:
    CORVETTE o2 cot cags 041416.hpt is with no adjustments
    CORVETTE o2 cot cags MAF3 is the last one i did
    3.hp is the last scan
    and screenshot is my graph layout

CORVETTE o2 cot cags MAF3 041716.hpt3.hplScreenshot (1).pngCORVETTE o2 cot cags 041416.hpt
    You're going a bit lean when you get on it. You can see it in your graphs. You're commanding 11.6 but actually up around 12.5. Since you're naturally aspirated that's not too bad. But you should dial in your MAF/VE to be accurate to whatever AFR you are commanding and then adjust the commanded AFR to be whatever you want.

Looking at the areas of your MAF error chart...it looks like you are lean about 6-7%. You should shut off the closed loop and run in open loop for a bit and do some MAF/VE adjustments to get that dialed in.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Potential Tuner
    Thanks cc-rider. Does this look better? I still need to log more after the laptop charges

Closed loop enable coolant vs startup coolant temp (all to 306*)
    Copied high octane to low
    Disabled COT
    DFCO enable normal (493*)
    CFCO (318mph,8192rpm,493*)
    MAF freq fail high (0HZ)
    Loaded tune
    Logged and saved
    Copied VE AFR err and pasted (Paste special, multiply by % - half) to VVE table than calc coefficients in all 4 VE modes
    Smoothed each mode once and calc'd coefficients again
    Saved tune and reloaded

I noticed that the AFRs would go very lean when i let off slowing down. Am i missing something with the DFCO? I also seen in one of the guides to disable STFT and LTFT
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2013 C6 M6 Hinson 3" catless to stock mufflers/QTP cutouts

Potential Tuner
    Nevermind looking at my data. I had my histogram for VVE AFR err set up in psi instead of kpa. Back to square one
    2013 C6 M6 Hinson 3" catless to stock mufflers/QTP cutouts

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by luckytii7 View Post
    Nevermind looking at my data. I had my histogram for VVE AFR err set up in psi instead of kpa. Back to square one
    Sorry bud. I'm traveling for work and don't have access to my computer with hp tuners. I'll check things out when I get back on Thursday.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtech View Post
    Good thread - I'm still feeling my way around the domestic world and taking on alot(mopar/ford as well)
    I currently have a "stock" 2011 CTS-V i'm doing some tuning on. It has a custom design intake, which my buddy designed for me, 7inch inlet, tapering down to 4''.
    The Trans Tune i got help with PAT G for but i've been learning my way around that as well.

I'd like opinions on my cal, as the car performs outstanding, idles good, and pulls pretty crazy.. More mods are coming but as always i like to ensure my proper learning as i come from the import world and its very different.DDTECHCTSV.hpt

In reality I'm learning the software, tuning is tuning. I'm targeting around 11.4-11.6's AFR. I have no KR as i've tuned pretty much the entire spark table but i'm open to opinions on becoming a better domestic tuner. So i'm all ears for any type of criticism
    I didn't see much that I would change here, but one thing I would definitely do is put the low octane table back to stock; with gen4 cars you don't have to set low and high to be the same for scanning purposes when you fail the maf. Also, unless you have upgraded your valve springs the increased rev limiter may be a bit dangerous. You also didn't mention if you still had your cats in place, but disabling COT can kill them in short order (if this tune revision was just for scanning I understand why it would be disabled).

Potential Tuner
    Awesome thread idea! Need to get my tune file and post it in here so I can get a second set of eyes on it. I had a reliable friend tune my car and it seems to run fine, but wouldn't hurt to have a another look.
    Last edited by lgndryhr; 04-25-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I'll bite! Thanks for setting up this thread.

I have a 2011 CTS-V. It has intake/pulley/headers/heat exchanger/ID850. It has a mail order tune. I received a base file which has been revised by the tuner twice. I'm attaching three logs from the track (so y'all can see if it's running safe) and one log from the street where it stumbled. Please review the files to let me know if I'm in any imminent danger or if it's a safe setup. Secondarily, if anyone knows how to fix the hiccup, let me know. It seems to occur only at part throttle and around 2500rpm and not every time.

WOT fueling looks pretty close but I did see some knock retard @ WOT that you may want to look into

Add knock learn factor to your channels list, I'd be interested to see what it's doing

Advanced Tuner
    In your second log i saw up to 6 degrees of KR and it looked like your timing was already pretty low. After the KR event it was 15 degrees. That looks like some pretty real KR...trust me i fought KR for months. Ive got it worked out the most ive seen in weeks now is .8 or so at 4500 rpm but like you i was getting some pretty similar KR under wot. Your maf signal looked a little rough as well. But dont take my word for it, im pretty new to this stuff.

Knock looks real to me too.

Advanced Tuner
    It also looked like injector scaling was a bit off also. Schpenxel you had found that on one of my tunes i posted a month or two back and i had the same numbers as insomniac but have since changed to match id's data

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    WOT fueling looks pretty close but I did see some knock retard @ WOT that you may want to look into

Add knock learn factor to your channels list, I'd be interested to see what it's doing
    I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    In your second log i saw up to 6 degrees of KR and it looked like your timing was already pretty low. After the KR event it was 15 degrees. That looks like some pretty real KR...trust me i fought KR for months. Ive got it worked out the most ive seen in weeks now is .8 or so at 4500 rpm but like you i was getting some pretty similar KR under wot. Your maf signal looked a little rough as well. But dont take my word for it, im pretty new to this stuff.
    This somewhat troubling if the AF is close and the timing relatively conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    It also looked like injector scaling was a bit off also. Schpenxel you had found that on one of my tunes i posted a month or two back and i had the same numbers as insomniac but have since changed to match id's data
    Maybe we have the same tuner. Would it be to my benefit to update the injector scaling or might that throw off other stuff that is currently dialed in?

Another question. I'm going through the modified and stock tunes using the compare function and noticed that torque reduction on upshift has been disabled. Does this put me at extra risk? I though it should be enabled if you are interested in longevity.
    Last edited by insomniac; 05-20-2016 at 10:22 PM.

If you change the inj data now it'll likely throw everything off IMO. I'd have to see where it's off to say for sure but yeah, likely you'll have to revisit MAF/VE tables if you change inj data.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    I will do that.

This somewhat troubling if the AF is close and the timing relatively conservative.

Maybe we have the same tuner. Would it be to my benefit to update the injector scaling or might that throw off other stuff that is currently dialed in?

Another question. I'm going through the modified and stock tunes using the compare function and noticed that torque reduction on upshift has been disabled. Does this put me at extra risk? I though it should be enabled if you are interested in longevity.
    I don't think we have the same guy who tuned our cars, but who knows. I would say your timing really only needs to be brought down in the high load cells that your seeing KR in on your histograms and some out the adjoining cells. little by little of knocking it down and you should be good to go.

edit: on second thought we may have the same guy who tuned our cars...there are a lot of similarities that I cant imagine are normal from shop to shop, but then a lot of differences as well. if you don't mind sharing who is your tuner?

I would re-enable the torque reduction on upshift if you are worried about it. and regarding the ID data, after I installed my WB I ran for a little bit with the same injector data before changing it to whats in ID's spreadsheet and it changed by a few percent. I had to bring my MAF table up a bit in the higher load areas. basically after the change it made the car run a few % more lean.

GMtech explained it pretty good earlier in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    The easy way I think of it is if you double the flow rate, you're telling the ECM the injector flows twice as much. So to keep the same fueling levels, the ECM would have the injector on half as much. So if you change the flow rate to a higher value, it would lean out the mixtures. (Assuming the tune has already been dialed in for the lower, incorrect values.) It's a table that lets the ECM know how much fuel gets injected for the amount of time it has the injector open for. These values CAN be tweaked away from a suggested value like those from ID, but usually it's best to have them what ID says.
    Last edited by JBZ; 05-21-2016 at 10:28 PM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner in Training
    Hey all,

I have been reading up and trying to iron out a couple things with my tune. It was done remotely, my warm starts are very poor, im starting to learn more on those tables, haven't really had the weather to do a lot of testing but ill try to tackle that. Figured when I saw this thread I would see what you guys think about the KR I am seeing in 4th gear. Am I going lean? I know my afr is heading in that direction and the knock was only in 4th gear.

I did toss a log of my failed start. I know there is another thread a couple posts down where they addressed this, when the weather clears I am going to see if I can try to adjust some of my tables for that.

Advanced Tuner
    TJ regarding your KR, I would suggest trying to lower those timing areas that are getting KR and smooth out the adjoining areas. you may want to add cylinder air mass to your chart view to better help with locating the exact cells on your high octane timing table, you could also add a new histogram that instead of having MAP in your row you have cylinder airmass as I'm pretty sure that is the same as spark airmass...please correct me if I'm wrong but this has worked for me. anywhere that I was getting KR I would adjust those cells down until I got it under control. I still get the occasional KR but never over .9 degress and only maybe once a week.

All of us coming from the same tuner are getting excessive KR. Insomniac we DO infact have the same guy who tuned our cars, I had forgot to look in the tell tale areas of timing (where he fat fingered some data) that are the same as my file that I got after my tune (which is vastly different from what I have now).

look in your max torque timing table where you have some random 600's (low RPM low load) and your IAT base timing table where there is a random 9 in -7 to -10 areas (higher temp low load). that has confirmed it for me. you guys might as well fix that too.

TJ I don't know what to tell you about your start up, I would try out what John suggested on the other site. I still plan to do the same for my off idle surge. I had played around with the idle airflow table but didn't help. I think KR should be your primary area to fix right now...but that's my personal opinion.

and I'm jealous guys LOL, my trans had more or less not been tuned, he touched 3 tables in there and that was it. you guys have all kinds of tuning in your trans.